Notices

Seeking Opinions Regarding Two RVs

Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
kenlor2 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Navigator and WSO, TxANG
Name: Ken
kenlor2's Tacoma Gallery
Seeking Opinions Regarding Two RVs

I have an '07, 4x4 TRD Offroad w Towing Package and 6500# towing capacity, short bed and dual cab. I'm considering two trailers. One trailer has a 4770 GVWR while the second has a 5743 GVWR. The first trailer is a very nice trailer, but the heavier trailer has more space and comfort features. But, I'm concerned with the extra weight. Although "compliant" from a specifications standpoint, I will be towing from my location in northern NM to mountainous areas in CO, UT and the northwest. Assuming that the trailer is properly set up as noted in the "Towing Bible", I don't want to find myself "not having fun" while towing near the limits for long distances. Thoughts on this very subjective topic?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Go for the lighter trailer, or a bigger tow vehicle.

Don't expect better than 50% of your normal MPG. Seriously, a lightweight "pop-up" or tent trailer is a much better way to go.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
the GVWR is before all your people, gear, and fluids in your trailer tanks...that'd easily put you over 6500.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
BC Overlander is on a distinguished road

BC Overlander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
the GVWR is before all your people, gear, and fluids in your trailer tanks...that'd easily put you over 6500.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum the trailer can weight with all your people, gear and fluids in the tanks.

UVW or Unloaded Vehicle Weight is before your people, gear and fluids.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Overlander View Post
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum the trailer can weight with all your people, gear and fluids in the tanks.

UVW or Unloaded Vehicle Weight is before your people, gear and fluids.

oops...those numbers always seemed a little low to me.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

But most important is the GCVWR of the tow vehicle.

You have the Tacoma's GVWR, and you have the trailer's GVWR.
With the Tacoma at GVWR, you will exceed it's GCVWR long before the trailer hit's it's own GVWR.

2012 Tacoma GVWR is 5350.
2012 Tacoma GCVWR is 11,100 (with the tow package).
2012 Tacoma max towing weight is 6500.

5350 + 6500 = 11,850

Your curb weight is 4045, leaving only 1300 pounds for passengers, cargo, fluids, fuel, etc....

So realistically, passengers and packed for a vacation, you are likely going to be at or VERY close to your 5350 max for the Tacoma... leaving an absolute max trailer weight of about 5750.

Ya... that's greater than the 5743 of the trailer you're looking at... but neither you nor your Tacoma are going to be happy campers.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
So realistically, passengers and packed for a vacation, you are likely going to be at or VERY close to your 5350 max for the Tacoma... leaving an absolute max trailer weight of about 5750.
If he is at the GVWR of the Tacoma before hooking up the trailer, his real max trailer weight is zero. That's because any tongue weight attached to the rear of the Tacoma would push him over the GVWR.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
If he is at the GVWR of the Tacoma before hooking up the trailer, his real max trailer weight is zero. That's because any tongue weight attached to the rear of the Tacoma would push him over the GVWR.
500lb tongue weight would drop his available total capacity to under 800lbs.

4 passengers and a case of beer would be over.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Well it sounds like you can get the heavy trailer if you pack lightly, but if you never want to worry about being over weight the lighter one is the way to go. Or now you have an excuse to get a 5.7l tundra
Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
kenlor2 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Navigator and WSO, TxANG
Name: Ken
kenlor2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies to my question. This was my first post and it has been very helpful. Ken
Old 07-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlor2 View Post
Thanks for the replies to my question. This was my first post and it has been very helpful. Ken
that's what TW is for

just gotta be careful of a few people on here, they like to dish it out and some new people don't realize they are joking.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
Gunga will become famous soon enoughGunga will become famous soon enough
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
Based on where you live and where you want to go you will not be happy with that heavy of a trailer. IMO.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the exact same truck, and tow a 3500 lb loaded travel trailer. It does great on the flat roads, but it does struggle a bit when I start hitting the hilly roads at the bottom of the mountains. I really think I'm at the limit for towing weight with the power plant of the Tacoma. I plan to put a supercharger on it to help pull in the mountains. I don't want to be that guy in the right lane on the highway doing 45 mph on every steep incline.

Stability wise, I have the OME dakar leafs and 886 coils. It handles the trailer perfectly with no sway or bouncing. So it's only the power that I need to fix.