Notices

Towing a BMW

Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Som is on a distinguished road
Name: Som
Som's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a BMW

Hi all,

Have a towing question that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. It's short notice, and I don't have all the information I need yet, but I'm trying to piece together what I can.

I have a track day on Saturday and I'd like to tow my car to the event. If need be, I can drive the car itself, but I'd prefer to tow it in case the car breaks down at the track.

A friend of mine is willing to loan me his 2007 Tacoma Prerunner V6. We checked the back a couple days ago and it had a tow hitch. I'm not sure if it was factory installed, though (gonna try and find out today).

I don't think he has a brake controller, but I'd be willing to buy one for his truck, if need be.

My car weighs about 2900 lbs. I'm looking into an aluminum trailer from a local rental place. UHaul's trailers are 2000 pounds, I'm assuming the aluminum would be around 1000...?

So, is towing 3900 lbs without a brake controller a bad idea? The road to the track has some decent hills. Is a brake controller REQUIRED for activating the trailer brakes, or does it just do a better job of activating the brakes than maybe what happens by default when you press the brakes?

If it's not the factory tow kit, from what I've read there's pretty much no way I'm going to be able to install a brake controller on such short notice.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Som
Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine, hook that shit up and go
Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a BMW? Isn't that the only way to make a BMW mobile?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Som is on a distinguished road
Name: Som
Som's Tacoma Gallery

Any other inputs?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
wahvtec is on a distinguished road
wahvtec's Tacoma Gallery
it shud befine and remember if theres no oil under your bmw theres no in it