Dirtbikes and Pop Up trailer?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
13Taco is on a distinguished road

Navy: Former HT2 with NDT
Name: Alex
13Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Dirtbikes and Pop Up trailer?

Hi guys,

Do you think it would be safe to say that a DCSB Sport could handle 2 dirt bikes in the back and a pop up trailer? How would it affect it? I am stuck between that and a Toy Hauler right now. I don't really have storage for a toy hauler, but I could store a pop up.

Can I tow with the tailgate down? Sorry for the noob questions.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Taco View Post
Hi guys,

Do you think it would be safe to say that a DCSB Sport could handle 2 dirt bikes in the back and a pop up trailer? How would it affect it? I am stuck between that and a Toy Hauler right now. I don't really have storage for a toy hauler, but I could store a pop up.

How big is the pop up? Most of those are pretty light
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi guys,

Should be fine unless you have a huge pop up. Towing with the tailgate down depends completely on the trailer. If the trailer has a fixed jack, generally you can not tow with the tailgate down. Hook the trailer up with the tailgate down and jack knife it with a spotter to see if the tailgate will contact the trailer body. Also check for clearance between the tongue (jack) and the tailgate.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Just take the tailgate off and set it in the Pop up Camper..Happy trails.. I have pulled heavy ass military trailers with My Taco.. Good towing power if you have the towing package. Good luck and ride on..
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The tailgate will not close with dirtbikes. Mine won't close with a quad in the back.

As far as towing power, it will be fine but watch that payload weight.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The tailgate will not close with dirtbikes. Mine won't close with a quad in the back.

As far as towing power, it will be fine but watch that payload weight.

Maybe consider the long bed.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you need the extra length of the tailgate to support the rear tire of the dirt bike but don't want to risk damaging the tailgate, here's an option for you: Get a piece of plywood, cut it to the length you need for the bike, fasten a wooden block to the rear where the plywood extends past the bed (the wooden blocks should take up the space between the unsupported plywood and your bumper step). You now have a slightly extended bed that you can still tow with. Just be sure to secure the plywood while loading and unloading.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
get a pop up trailer with the cargo platform!! i love the one my brother has.
Attached Thumbnails
Dirtbikes and Pop Up trailer?-2008_fleetwood_evolutionseries.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #9

13Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
get a pop up trailer with the cargo platform!! i love the one my brother has.
Can the truck handle that thing with 2 dirtbikes loaded on it?? Seems like it would be way over the 650lb tongue weight limit.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #10

13Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
How big is the pop up? Most of those are pretty light
Not sure on the size yet, probably a smaller one because I will be towing through the mountains to get to my spots.

Just wanted to throw the idea out there to see if it was possible.... Sounds like its completely dependent on the trailer
Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can the truck handle that thing with 2 dirtbikes loaded on it?? Seems like it would be way over the 650lb tongue weight limit.
That thing has a 400 lb hitch weight empty.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's a valid question.
Another question would be the weight of the two dirt bikes, and the tongue weight of the popup. I used to tow a popup, with a hefty (for a tent trailer) 350 lbs tongue weight.
As for the tailgate down while towing: you can get extended draw bars / ball mounts and hitch extenders (see below). Just be aware that when using those, the load on the rear axle is increased if you don't use a WDH.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That thing has a 400 lb hitch weight empty.
Damn! My bro tows his with a duramax.