Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

4th or 5th gear

Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
4th or 5th gear

I decided to read the owners manual about driving with a trailer and what gear to be in. I have been driving in D this year and I have had no hunting issues and the gas mileage is better. Upon reading the manual I found that it said that while towing you should dive in 4 not D for engine braking. It never mentions transmission issues as a reason to drive in 4 instead of D.. My truck and trailer brakes work very well and the 4.0 does not have enough compression to engine brake for me anyways.

Just my observations. I will continue to drive in D and if it does start to hunt I will down shift.

I think a clear idea of what hunting is is needed as well. Hunting is not your trans dropping into the passing gear while in drive and then back every once-in-a-while. Hunting is the trans going back and forth from gear to gear in rapid succession say 5-10 seconds apart. I have never had the Taco hunt I only give it a little help getting into a climbing gear either 4 or 3 before the trans does it for me.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Driving hwy/straight flat roads should be fine in 5th......driving on back roads and that have hills and curves probably would want in 4th as it would "hunt" quite a bit
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Leave it in "D" if its not hunting.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Gunga will become famous soon enoughGunga will become famous soon enough
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
I leave it in D mostly.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This
Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This
This
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
gologit is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic...Air Cav  66-70
Name: Bob
gologit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Exactly right. I just brought a 17 foot Casita from Rice, Texas to my home in northern California. I ran I-40 most of the way.

When you get into long pulls or even rolling hills you might kick the cruise control off and just "feel" for the sweet spot in each gear.

I stayed in 5th most of the time and occasionally dropped to 4th on long up grades. No problems at all.