Notices

Towing with a four cylinder

Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Did you go all the way to NY to get the Sea Doo? I thought there was a dealer over here in Cornelius. I looked at them several years ago. Love the jet propulsion system for getting up on the beach.
There is a dealer in Cornelius NC, but was looking on ebay and a NY dealer had two 155HP Speedster 150s for sale. The auction ended without a winning bidder. Gave them a call and worked out a deal. This is our first Jet Boat and very happy with it on the lake. Breaking in the engine right now and have not had it over 30MPH so far, but it's supposed to go 50MPH WOT.

Really like how this boat tows and how easy the four cylinder Taco pulls it out of the water.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I'm looking at one of those littler ones for like $7k .
Ours has a 11' long box with queen size bed/dinette & couch that folds out into a single bed. It's a basic camper and we call it our Aluminum tent with heating and cooling.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringcarolina View Post
Ours has a 11' long box with queen size bed/dinette & couch that folds out into a single bed. It's a basic camper and we call it our Aluminum tent with heating and cooling.
And it weighs about 2,000 lbs loaded
Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #25

Quote:
How did you like Bandit's Roost? That's on our list for next year.
Bandit's Roost NC Campground & Mount Pisgah (on the BRP) Campground are our favorite campgrounds, so far. Our next camping trip will be to Hunting Island SC State Park next month. This will be our first trip there.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
And it weighs about 2,000 lbs loaded
Have not had it weighed, but the manufacturer says the CL11RD weighs 1400lbs dry. We carry about 200lbs of stuff in the camper and another 400lbs of coolers, Kayaks, fire wood, gear & food in the back of the pickup. I estimate the Camper @ 1600lbs plus 400lbs in the back of the pickup for a total of 2000lbs load.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Great! Looks like a great spot. Might try to squeeze in a fall trip maybe :-)
After our trip to SC, may try to get to Bandit's Roost again this year, too.

We like sites 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, & 32.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. My TT is a 19 foot hybrid, so should fit in most spots.
We stayed on #27 site on the water earlier this week and it's large enough for a 50' rig. You should not have any problems finding a site with plenty of room.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #31

Been testing fuel economy towing the CampLite camper on interstates in 4th gear @ 2500RPM in central and eastern SC with and without Kayaks mounted on Thule Racks. Hauling estimated 1900lbs with camper/camping gear/Leer Shell, and 2000lbs with Kayaks/Thule Racks added to the load.

Previous test 550 mile round trip to Hunting Island SC with mileage checked on interstates averaging 55MPH "without" Kayaks. Mileage was 17MPG.

Just got back from a 200 mile round trip to Lake Wateree SC "with" Kayaks getting 18MPG averaging 55MPH on interstates.

Kayaks must reduce wind resistance and Taco feels like it has more power on the hills @ 55MPH. Testing results from ScanGaugeE. Taco is stock except for mods in signature.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #32

Learned a couple things last week. Wanted to take bicycles with kayaks camping. With a 2"X4" aluminum rear bumper on the camper, did not want to hang two bikes & rack on the camper bumper and did not want to put the bikes on top of the pickup shell increasing wind resistance. Found an extended hitch I could mount a Swagman XP bike rack on between the camper & pickup. It worked out nicely.

Before I had been hauling the camper with a 3/4" rise hitch. This bike rack set up worked with a 2" drop hitch, letting the front of the camper ride a little lower. Found I could use 5th gear on level & slight uphill grades @ 60MPH average @ 16MPG. Before when using the 3/4" lift hitch, I could not tow the camper up any grade, without going to 4th gear on interstates. All I can figure by lowering the front of the camper slightly, gives "less" wind resistance.

Will test fuel economy in this configuration at lower speeds in 4th gear on back roads in search of better MPG. Best fuel prices found in SC last week were $3.49 per gallon.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
SmokinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Charles
SmokinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Towing Starcraft AR-one 14fb 21.6 footer with 2.7 liter

Towing an Starcraft AR-one 18fb 21.6 footer with a 2001 2.7 liter. Dry weight of the camper is 3080 lbs.

Using weight distribution hitch, sway bar, and transmission cooler.

The drive home it handled extremely well even on the steeper hills it pulled them just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Towing with a four cylinder-image.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinTaco View Post
Towing an Starcraft AR-one 18fb 21.6 footer with a 2001 2.7 liter. Dry weight of the camper is 3080 lbs.

Using weight distribution hitch, sway bar, and transmission cooler.

The drive home it handled extremely well even on the steeper hills it pulled them just fine.
Thanks for sharing the info.

We're thinking about a trip to Zion & Bryce, to name a few parks, and wondering about how well the four cylinder would handle towing our camper in the high elevations & mountains out west. Our camper with everything in the back of the pickup including Kayaks & bicycles total about 2000lbs of load.

Appreciate hearing from other folks towing in the mountains with a four cylinder.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #35
Warhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Veteran
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
My boat is guesstimated to weigh about 2100 pounds. I tow in 3rd gear (4spd auto) and limit myself to 65 mph. The Taco does surprisingly well.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #36

Nice looking rig! Four cylinder Tacos make great tow vehicles.

Saw the road sign in the last two photos & thought the photos were taken in NC until realizing you are from Texas. Guess Dale has a few roads named after him in other states, too.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
Warhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Veteran
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, That's at Texas Motor Speedway just north of Fort Worth. That's where I needed to turn to go home, so I thought I'd take a couple of quick pics.

I just had a transmission cooler put on it today, and bought a different receiver that will get the nose of the trailer a little higher.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
Does everyone use a transmission cooler? I'm looking to get a small pop up or slide in camper, maybe like 1000- 1100 lbs. Should I get a trans cooler even though that's well under the load range for the 2.7 (3500 lb)?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #39

If you have an automatic transmission, good idea to install a transmission cooler. I have a 5 speed manual transmission, so do not have a transmission cooler.