Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

First Time Towing - 2 SeaDoos + trailer need advice!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
First Time Towing - 2 SeaDoos + trailer need advice!

Hey guys,

We're doing a camping trip out to Lake Mead this August, and after reserving a houseboat and wakeboard boat, my cousin who is in charge of organizing things, got us 2 waverunners for the weekend as well The catch is, unlike the houseboat and wakeboard boat, the skis are here in OC, meaning I'm taking my truck because I'm now the only person in my extended family who owns anything that can tow. (persians...don't ask).

Never towed anything in my life. I've only helped my dad back up our old camper in the Suburban a few times, other than that, no experience.

Trip is roughly 300 miles, consisting of mostly flat desert with several sections of gradual elevation change, including one downhill grade that can get a little hairy for semi trucks, and one uphill grade but I'm not worried about that. I know I'll probably drop to 11-12mpg with my 33" tires...prepared for that.

I'm looking for some tips and tricks for driving on the interstate, turns, and most importantly, the best drive mode (2hi, 4hi, 4lo?) to get in and out of the boat launch at the lake's marina...and can I do this without a diff breather mod??

I'm spending next weekend relocating my 7-pin connector after shredding it to pieces out at Ocotillo Wells last month...Thanks again
Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Cake, just watch your turns. You'll have to swing a little more (not wide but not like you normally do)

2hi for launching unless you start slipping (highly doubt it), if you must do 4hi BUT drive straight don't turn then get out of 4hi.

Should be a easy run for you.

Also remember it'll take you longer to stop.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
RightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant futureRightYouAreKen has a brilliant future
RightYouAreKen's Tacoma Gallery
You probably know since you've backed up your dads rig, but a tip for backing up: put your hand at the bottom of the wheel and move it in the direction you want the trailer to turn. To turn the trailer right, move your hand right (which turns the wheel left) and visa versa.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget to cross the safety chains. It'l give the tongue some thing to rest on if it comes loose, instead of hitting the ground.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Sure, do it.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project.paradigm View Post
Don't forget to cross the safety chains. It'l give the tongue some thing to rest on if it comes loose, instead of hitting the ground.
It's also illegal if you don't cross them, here in TX anyway.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Just a little tip for launching the seado--keep it OUT OF GEAR or in neutral when backing down the launch ramp. I find it easier. 4x4 for the pull out-Lo is easiest for control. If it is pavement(not gravel) you might be able to get out in regular 2wd.
PWC are not as HEAVY as larger boats.
HAVE FUN
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Driving with a trailer is easy, just gotta remember its back there. Usually with jetskiis its no big deal, we tow jetskiis and jet boats down to laughlin every summer. Only thing I would suggest is keep extra room for breaking, dont make U-turns(usually the storage box on the trailer will hit your tailgate if its too sharp) and when backing up the trailer will go the opposite way(You go right, trailer will go left). Again don't get yourself into a situation where the trailer is turned too much to where it might hit the truck, just go forward and start over.

Not sure on tacomas, but on our GMC Sierra the handle on the trailer needs to be facing the storage box when putting the tailgate down or else it will hit it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
mistahgood is on a distinguished road
Name: Mistah
mistahgood's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any experience with the 2wd 4cyl tires on the ramps? Just looking to dump a jet ski in, nothing heavy. I'm just worried there isn't much meat on those model tires and the back end will be light.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahgood View Post
Anyone have any experience with the 2wd 4cyl tires on the ramps? Just looking to dump a jet ski in, nothing heavy. I'm just worried there isn't much meat on those model tires and the back end will be light.
No issues pulling my 2000lb SeaDoo boat out of the water on a paved ramp with a 2WD 2.4L Taco. Have not tried it on a gravel ramp, yet.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #13
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I'm looking for some tips and tricks for driving on the interstate, turns, and most importantly, the best drive mode (2hi, 4hi, 4lo?) to get in and out of the boat launch at the lake's marina...and can I do this without a diff breather mod??
Trailer tires are not rated for speeds over 65MPH. I only submerge the trailer wheels to push & float the boat off or load on the trailer, but the Taco rear tires just touch the water unloading & loading my boat. If there is a rubber cap on the trailer wheel hubs, remove it to see if there there is a grease zerk to give one or two shots of grease with a grease gun to the wheel bearings before the trip.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Thanks for the tips! Never thought about crossing the chains...that's a great idea.

Any insight on whether or not to do the diff breather mod before going on this trip? I'd hate to fill my diff with lake water
If you have to drive in far enough to submerge the diff, you should probably drive back out and unstrap the skis from the trailer

Depending on the angle of the ramp, you might get the taco a little wet but I'm guessing it sits up pretty high if you have 33s. I occasionally get the bottom of the rear bumper and dip the exhaust in, but that's with my dad's suburban so all that is really low to the ground.

It ain't rocket surgery though, a little common sense and you'll be good