Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing a Car for a Friend

Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a Car for a Friend

My neighbor/friend wants to get a 94' Dodge Neon ACR from a friend in NJ, about a 250 mile journey. I have a 2006 DC SB TRD Off Road 4x4 V6 Auto with the factory Tow Package, so a dolly from U-Haul should do the trick. I baby my truck and have yet to tow anything with it, and have only done a few drives with a landscaping trailer in a ~2004 Dodge Dakota V8 4x4 with after market tow package, but that was about 6+ years ago, so I am a novice at towing. I bought my truck thinking if I needed to tow short distances I would, but don't plan on doing long hauls with it, again I baby the thing.

Anyway, I don't think this will be a big deal, wanted some input. The issue is, my wife says NO, big time doesnt want me to do it, is afraid I will hurt the transmission, or that something will go wrong and my truck will be hurt. Also my friend that wants the Neon does not have the money to fix my truck if something were to happen, my insurance might take care of it, not sure how that works.

Finally the Neon is $650 and doesnt drive because the brake lines are rusted out, not the hoses, but the actual steel lines front to back. A car that costs this much almost seems not worth the risk, or hassle of convincing my wife to let me help a friend, but I have issues saying no to a friend...

From another angle, looks like the dolly will be $85 + taxes to rent, or I could just tell my buddy to rent a truck and dolly from U-Haul (then it is a rental transmission) for $300 + taxes.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Neon ACR's are light cars. From a technical standpoint, that's an easy tow.

I towed my Miata from Louisiana to Florida and back on a 16' car hauler trailer, and my truck barely knew the car was back there.

Your wife still may have a point though on the wisdom of the move.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Not a big deal, but do be careful since you have limited towing experience.

The dolly will not likely have brakes, so 100% of the braking is from your truck, so be sure to keep your speeds down and drastically increase your following distances.

Basically... drive like grandma until you get a REALLY GOOD feel for how it's going to stop and handle if you have to make any sudden moves.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Just do it..dont use a dolly, rent a trailer from uhaul..i think it would make the move easier. Where in nj ya headed too?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Just do it..dont use a dolly, rent a trailer from uhaul..i think it would make the move easier. Where in nj ya headed too?
Not even sure where the car is yet, my friend doesn't even know if it is a 2-door or 4-door... I have family in Freehold.

I also have a father-in-law with a trailer that can support a car, so with my truck and that trailer it is almost a free tow (just gas).

I also just looked at Enterprise for a 2 dat rental for a Colorado it is $60 and for a Silverado it is $75, so that may just may be the easy way out, no risk for the truck and still gets it done cheap.

I agree that it should be no problem for my truck, but I don't want to piss off my wife, or have to listen to the "I told you so..." if I mess something up.

I am thinking I will suggest renting the Silverado for $75 and driving up and getting my father-in-laws trailer and the Neon, and then bringing it back, the Silverado is cheaper to rent than the dolly. Then I can drive my father-in-laws trailer back with my Tacoma empty.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
my insurance might take care of it, not sure how that works.
Your insurance will not cover any damages to the drivetrain caused by towing.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Biggest problem I see here is that your friend is overpaying for a broken Neon. Watch Craigslist for a day if he just wants a cheap car. There are lots of running cars going for less than $500.

Other than that your Taco would handle it just fine (as long as you pay attention to the braking issue). But if he does insist on buying the project, the idea of putting the towing miles on a $75 Silverado would be pretty tempting.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My friends has an EVO that she pulls with her Tacoma (dc v6) all the time using a car hauler trailer. These trucks are rated at, I believe, 6000 lbs if you have the factory towing pkg. if I'm wrong someone please correct me. A Neon will be a very easy tow
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARTRD View Post
My friends has an EVO that she pulls with her Tacoma (dc v6) all the time using a car hauler trailer. These trucks are rated at, I believe, 6000 lbs if you have the factory towing pkg. if I'm wrong someone please correct me. A Neon will be a very easy tow
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Not even sure where the car is yet, my friend doesn't even know if it is a 2-door or 4-door... I have family in Freehold.

I also have a father-in-law with a trailer that can support a car, so with my truck and that trailer it is almost a free tow (just gas).

I also just looked at Enterprise for a 2 dat rental for a Colorado it is $60 and for a Silverado it is $75, so that may just may be the easy way out, no risk for the truck and still gets it done cheap.

I agree that it should be no problem for my truck, but I don't want to piss off my wife, or have to listen to the "I told you so..." if I mess something up.

I am thinking I will suggest renting the Silverado for $75 and driving up and getting my father-in-laws trailer and the Neon, and then bringing it back, the Silverado is cheaper to rent than the dolly. Then I can drive my father-in-laws trailer back with my Tacoma empty.

Just make sure the silvy isnt a piece of shit and leave you stranded, and keep an eye on the miles..lots of those places are local or in town like under 100 miles.

And for the love of god, dont try towing with a colorado.

Freehold aint that far, next time you come out we'll grab a beer