Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Sway control

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Sway control

Guys,

I am going to be checking out this 22' travel trailer. It is 4000 lb dry weight.

The package includes the sway control. Owner has a 2001 F150 v6 .

Is the sway control a general fit for any trucks, etc or is it truck specific. If I buy, I need to tow 90 miles home.

TIA
tntrac
Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Guys,

I am going to be checking out this 22' travel trailer. It is 4000 lb dry weight.

The package includes the sway control. Owner has a 2001 F150 v6 .

Is the sway control a general fit for any trucks, etc or is it truck specific. If I buy, I need to tow 90 miles home.

TIA
tntrac
I would tow it home with a WDH(equalizing hitch) and a brake controller, the sway control is a different attachment for side movement(for crosswinds), You could add if needed when you get home
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
I would tow it home with a WDH(equalizing hitch) and a brake controller, the sway control is a different attachment for side movement(for crosswinds), You could add if needed when you get home

You think I would be fine without the sway or WDH for towing home? I currently have a prodigy v3 brake controller. I just sold a 15 ft 2500lbs trailer.

I am not sure what the owner has. He says he has the sway hitch.

Edit: Finally got some pictures from the owner.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Can somebody comment what those hardware are? So is this just a sway and not WDH or is it both?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like both, but there are pieces missing.
I bought a Travel trailer last year, 19ft with an empty weight of 3,650 lbs. Towed it home with no WD or sway control, but installed all of that right after. Then I towed the truck camping a few times.
Next thing was that I traded my truck for a half ton because it just was not enough for a travel trailer of that size. Mainly the payload. I was 400 lbs over rear axle rating. The tongue weight of the trailer was about 650 lbs. All of that with perfect weight distribution. Engine power was marginal at best also.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Looks like both, but there are pieces missing.
I bought a Travel trailer last year, 19ft with an empty weight of 3,650 lbs. Towed it home with no WD or sway control, but installed all of that right after. Then I towed the truck camping a few times.
Next thing was that I traded my truck for a half ton because it just was not enough for a travel trailer of that size. Mainly the payload. I was 400 lbs over rear axle rating. The tongue weight of the trailer was about 650 lbs. All of that with perfect weight distribution. Engine power was marginal at best also.
You are correct about the combo. It is a single sway control with WDH. I didn't install it when I was towing the trailer home. Owner didn't use it and forget how it works. I wasn't confident myself.

I noticed a few times when a semi truck passed me, the truck felt like it wanted to sway (a float feeling). I will hook up the sway bar next time. I read somewhere it might be bad to use it for reversing (it might make contact with the bumper, etc).

What kind of truck did you get? You saying with WDH, etc, you were still at 650 lbs in tongue?