Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing > 5000 lbs.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
DPCardoza is on a distinguished road
DPCardoza's Tacoma Gallery
Towing > 5000 lbs.

I'd like some opinions from those who are pulling 5K+ travel trailers. I live in a valley so most of my camping is done in mountains. A fair amount of steep incline and decline is involved. The reason I ask is I have an opportunity for a smokin deal on a new 2011 Forrest River Roo 21SS that never sold. UVW is around 4300 lbs and I figure I'd be packing around about 800 lbs of cargo. Loaded Tongue weight is 630 lbs. I'm thinking it will be pushing it but was hoping to get some real life experience. The only thing I've ever pulled is my tent trailer which weighs about 3K loaded and ready to camp.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Tongue weight is near limit (650 lb) but within the truck's capabilities. You got a brake controller right?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCardoza View Post
I'd like some opinions from those who are pulling 5K+ travel trailers. I live in a valley so most of my camping is done in mountains. A fair amount of steep incline and decline is involved. The reason I ask is I have an opportunity for a smokin deal on a new 2011 Forrest River Roo 21SS that never sold. UVW is around 4300 lbs and I figure I'd be packing around about 800 lbs of cargo. Loaded Tongue weight is 630 lbs. I'm thinking it will be pushing it but was hoping to get some real life experience. The only thing I've ever pulled is my tent trailer which weighs about 3K loaded and ready to camp.

What is the price they are offering you? I am assuming its 21 ft?

You should be fine. Pack light and drive like a grandma (55mph). My trailer is 22ft and its about 4k dry.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Short Sweet & Hard to beat!
craignthem08 is on a distinguished road

Name: Pineapple
craignthem08's Tacoma Gallery
I now tow a 3100lb Tent Trailer. But previously had a 30foot travel trailer with a dry weight of 4400lbs. Carried about 800-1000lbs of gear. You should be good with this set up for your truck. I had no problems.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Watch the TW, get a WD hitch and brake controller and you should be good.

THe actual dry weight of the trailer is on a yellow sticker on the side of the trailer or near the door. This number is what you need to go on, it is the weight as it rolled off the line, and not the advertised weight. The advertised weight usually does not include accessories.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
What is the price they are offering you? I am assuming its 21 ft?

You should be fine. Pack light and drive like a grandma (55mph). My trailer is 22ft and its about 4k dry.
Yeah its the 21 ft. Its a leftover from 2011 but is new. Talked them down to 15K out the door. Vehicle weight per the sticker is 4283. Tongue weight says 630 lbs. I'll have the obvious stuff like wd hitch with sway control, brake controller and firestone airbags. I never haul water so its usually family, dogs, food and an ice chest.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah its the 21 ft. Its a leftover from 2011 but is new. Talked them down to 15K out the door. Vehicle weight per the sticker is 4283. Tongue weight says 630 lbs. I'll have the obvious stuff like wd hitch with sway control, brake controller and firestone airbags. I never haul water so its usually family, dogs, food and an ice chest.
As soon as you fill the LP tanks and add a battery, if it does not have one, you are going to be over the limit on TW. If you store anything up front in the trailer it will add to TW. My dry TW was 190 lbs. with 2 LP tanks and two batteries and everything g that is in storage in the front of the trailer , I now have a TW of over 350lbs(that as high as the scale goes). it adds up fast.

Think it trough do the math. Sounds like a good deal but you may need a bigger truck.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a travel trailer that came with WDH and sway. That hardware weighs a ton .

The concept of the WDH is to spread the weight to the axle of the trailer correct, thus reducing my tongue weight of stated 416 lbs?

I know about that I have to add propane, etc.

PSMCN- what model of rockwood trailer?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
I just picked up a travel trailer that came with WDH and sway. That hardware weighs a ton .

The concept of the WDH is to spread the weight to the axle of the trailer correct, thus reducing my tongue weight of stated 416 lbs?

I know about that I have to add propane, etc.

PSMCN- what model of rockwood trailer?
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...&series=Expand
This model but a 2011.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have the 1809 mini lite. the taco pull it just fine

The TW does not change on the Taco with WD because it is lite truck.
The weight of the WDH is subtracted from the trucks cargo weight.

That all being said,the Gen 2 w/4.0 towing package has a class IV hitch because the TW is rated at 650 Lbs w/ a 6500lbs trailer weight and a class III is rated at 500TW/5000 lbs. So as far as what the hitch will handle it could handle up to 1200lbs of TW and max TT of 12.000, but the Taco wouldn't do well. Just my 2cents. Don't put more than 650 lbs lbs of TW on a Taco stay with in the manufactures limits.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Thanks for all the advice. I passed on the trailer. I just wasn't comfortable pushing the max weight. Somebody will get a good deal if they have a half ton.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I passed on the trailer. I just wasn't comfortable pushing the max weight. Somebody will get a good deal if they have a half ton.
Gotta do what cha gotta do. THere are plenty of trailer deals to be had out there. That was a nice trailer. Keep looking and find one that is in your limits or get a bigger truck that can pull what you want.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
I pull a 27' 6k TT. WDH and brake controller. You know it's there but able to maintain 60-65
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
I pull a 27' 6k TT. WDH and brake controller. You know it's there but able to maintain 60-65

As long as you are with in the limits of the TV and you are comfortable with it, and safe, it is all good. If you are over the limits and you have a crash you may be found liable if you are overloaded. That goes for TW as well as trailer weight.