Notices

Utility trailer

Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
arsonhntr is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: steve
arsonhntr's Tacoma Gallery
Utility trailer

Im lookin at getting a utility trailer to haul my daughters stuff back from Alabama. I like the all aluminum ones because they're lighter and less maintenance. The trailers I'm lookin at are 5x8 and 6x10. Pros and cons on steel or aluminum. Will be hauling boxes, clothing baby toys etc. I know price is higher for aluminum but is it worth while in the long run?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
ACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Adam
ACBWV91's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you need the extra few pounds lighter to put more stuff on the trailer then id say get steel. Judging by the baby clothes and boxes, id say no and go for steel. I havent been impressed by the ones made of angle iron so id look for a square tubing.

What part of WV are you from?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
if you get a 5x8 id say it wont matter much. but if a 6x10 id say get aluminum.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
arsonhntr is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: steve
arsonhntr's Tacoma Gallery
All the ones I've seen are the angle iron type, not really impressed with the construction. There are a couple of places near fairmont wv that have both alum and steel, might stop in there and check'em out. I'm near Huntington but travel thru there a lot. Need to head down to Alabama again soon, may see if there is something along the way and get one when I'm there. I like the aluminum cause of the light weight but the price diff makes it "heavy"!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 5x10 galvanized. Stength of steel but galvanized for corrosion resistence. As mentioned above, for a smaller trailer the little bit of weight you save with aluminum vs. steel, I don't think the extra money is worth it. I bought my trailer for $600 on craigslist. It's a Loadrite 5x10 and a good little utility trailer.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonhntr View Post
All the ones I've seen are the angle iron type, not really impressed with the construction. There are a couple of places near fairmont wv that have both alum and steel, might stop in there and check'em out. I'm near Huntington but travel thru there a lot. Need to head down to Alabama again soon, may see if there is something along the way and get one when I'm there. I like the aluminum cause of the light weight but the price diff makes it "heavy"!
i think Hustler trailers are a little north of knoxville TN. we have a open hustler tho. but got it like 15 min from here. ours is a 7x12 steel, rated at like 3k. i think we have had more than 3k on it a time or 2. very well made.

no idk what they have as far as inclosed trailers. but maybe worth checking them out.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonhntr View Post
Im lookin at getting a utility trailer to haul my daughters stuff back from Alabama. I like the all aluminum ones because they're lighter and less maintenance. The trailers I'm lookin at are 5x8 and 6x10. Pros and cons on steel or aluminum. Will be hauling boxes, clothing baby toys etc. I know price is higher for aluminum but is it worth while in the long run?
I've had lots of trailers in the past and maintenance is a big issue with me. I do NOT want to be scraping and painting a steel trailer every couple of years and even the galvanized trailers I've owned have had some rust. I decided to try aluminum. Here's the Aluma 548 (54" wide x 8' long) I bought some months ago.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i have the best trailer in the world..a FRIEND's trailer!!

it is a steel. tows great. i used it for all my yard work. i will also be towing it to Idaho for a hunting trip. whatever you buy, you could probably sell it for the same money.