Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Gen 1 - Towing uphill

Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
thrustblock is on a distinguished road
thrustblock's Tacoma Gallery
Gen 1 - Towing uphill

Hey Folks,

I recently picked up a used travel trailer - 16ft with a rated dry weight of about 2,700 lb. The previous owner added an A/C and a mod to the rear bumper for carrying bikes/wood, so dry weight is probably closer to 3,000 if I'm conservative.

I live up a fairy steep road, I'm guessing around a 30 degree slope or so. The steepest section is short, maybe 30-40 yards and I'm wondering if I should drop the truck into low gear "L", or just leave it in drive (OD off of course) to negotiate this hill.

My rig: '99 Xtra Cab 4x4 3.4L V6. I've already added a tranny cooler and brake controller and upgraded the entire suspension last year, but am fairly new to towing.

Should I have any concerns pulling this trailer up a short steep slope?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
you'll be fine
Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
put it in gear and go! lol for a 30-40 yard driveway you will be fine
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Up hill will be fine.

Going down the hill with that automatic transmission would be my worry.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
OP is you're driveway asphalt or concrete? If not id put it in 4low for going back down
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I'd hope with the brake controller it would hold but it's still a little nerve racking.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
AS far as down hill, I would upgrade to braided brake lines on the truck. I picked up the Wheeler's brake lines from a forum member for a song and installed them right before I bought my new boat. It's a Lowe 175 Fish and Ski with a 115 4-stroke. With boat, trailer, motor, fuel and gear, I would say it weighs between 2200 and 2500 lbs. Doesn't seem like a lot, but you can tell it's back there. The new trailer doesn't have brakes, so I knew my taco would have to be able to to handle the weight of the boat. With the braided lines, it took all the spongenous out of the pedal and they grab better.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
thrustblock is on a distinguished road
thrustblock's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback all, that was what I needed to hear.

The steepest part of the Court is pebbled concrete then transitions to asphalt at a lower grade. I really just need to get it up to my house to do some work on the trailer, then I'll be keeping it at a storage unit. I'm in the PNW, so when the rain starts, there is no way I want to chance pulling up and down as that pebbled concrete gets pretty slick when wet.

I like the idea of 4 low going down - great tip.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustblock View Post
Thanks for the feedback all, that was what I needed to hear.

The steepest part of the Court is pebbled concrete then transitions to asphalt at a lower grade. I really just need to get it up to my house to do some work on the trailer, then I'll be keeping it at a storage unit. I'm in the PNW, so when the rain starts, there is no way I want to chance pulling up and down as that pebbled concrete gets pretty slick when wet.

I like the idea of 4 low going down - great tip.
As long as you are not turning the wheels 4 low is fine