Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing with a 2nd Gen 4cyl Auto

Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with a 2nd Gen 4cyl Auto

Looking to tow a 16' Hobie Cat on a trailer, nothing else, and nothing larger/heavier, with a 2006 4cyl 4x2 SR5 Access Cab Tacoma, no tow package, stock. Do I need to get a full on trailer hitch or can I just use the ball on the bumper? Longest drive might be 5 hrs, and very infrequent. Also, do I need a transmission cooler? Do I need to tow in 4 vs OD too?

I think the Hobie weight in at ~400 lbs and the trailer at mabye ~600 lbs.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine without a tranny cooler. I would definitely get a real hitch though, if only to get the proper tongue height. Its about $160 for a uhaul hitch.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
You will be fine without a tranny cooler. I would definitely get a real hitch though, if only to get the proper tongue height. Its about $160 for a uhaul hitch.
Cool, probably will get a real hitch, but hoping to go get the boat this weekend off a craig's list add, and dont want to wait a week+ to get the hitch. Also will likely wait for some sweet labor day sales to get it online.