Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Drive line vibration while towing

Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Drive line vibration while towing

Has anyone else have this problem it only occurs when I start from a dead start.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
sounds like a trailer problem?
+1 .. check the brakes on your trailer to make sure they're fully releasing.
I pull a pretty heavy trailer and have been very impressed at the smoothness and power that the Tacoma has towing.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or through the seat? If in the wheel, you could have to much weight on the tongue and it's taking weight off the front/steer axle. If it's felt in the seat, it's drive line and you could have to much weight over the axles or have a trailer wheel out of round. Also could have a trailer tire with a broken belt. Look at your tires and make sure they are true and not out of round.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
It's through the seat stearing everything after i get going it quit's it doesnt have anything to do with the trailer I tow my boat with and that does it slighly as well the tractor and trailer i really feel it. ( It's From a dead stop to 2nd gear)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of tractor and trailer? Weight?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My truck does it pretty bad in 1st, some in 2nd, then it goes away. The split 2 piece drive shaft is the culprit most likely if the trailer is all good. The cross member that holds the carrier for it will shudder when there is a lot of load being transmitted through it and give the feeling you describe.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #9

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
My truck does it pretty bad in 1st, some in 2nd, then it goes away. The split 2 piece drive shaft is the culprit most likely if the trailer is all good. The cross member that holds the carrier for it will shudder when there is a lot of load being transmitted through it and give the feeling you describe.
I think that's the answer i'm lookin for I noticed tonight on the way home it happen's when you put a lot of torque I.E. floor it I guess i'm not the only one. Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #10

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
What kind of tractor and trailer? Weight?
I think around 4500 lbs all together
Old 01-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #11

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I did how ever tow a bobcat trackhoe the other week I do not recomend this since I was way........... over loaded when i put it on my trailer it picked my truck up in the back 1 1/2 ft off the ground but the good new's is it pulled it pretty easy stoping was another story glad most of the 2 mile trip was up hill.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
i have a drive line vibration as well.. came about after my rear leaf pack install
Old 06-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #13
texasranger is on a distinguished road
texasranger's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2007 tacoma, double cab, pre runner with the TRD package (only 25,000 miles). I have a 5 x 8 trailer that I have put a small four wheeler and dirt bike on. When I am driving down the interstate around 65 mph I really feel heavy vibration coming through the seat and steering wheel, it almost feels all over.

I am not sure what is going on, I feel the vibration with the trailer loaded or unloaded.

Any advice or help would be very helpful. This is my first tacoma and first trailer so please be detailed and specific with responses.

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
Tire seperated or out of balance on trailer???
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed a vibration today in the steering wheel while towing the enclosed snowmobile trailer for the first time of the season just around town. It was pretty predominant at various travelling speeds. The only diff b/w this and other years is the ball mount is a different drop and doesn't fit quite as nicely in the receiver. Its a reese all in one 2" & what have you from walmart. The one I normally use doesn't have a drop but didn't work with the landscape trailer height, thus the swap out.

Also the tires were air'd up to spec & Loaded weight under 2k fwiw.
Maybe flat spots and a combo?
How do you know if its a tire belt?
How long do these tires last?

The trailer is in good shape and serviced, maybe time for new tires and go back to old ball mount? I hate getting stuck in the winter with a trailer!
Thank you in advance.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
F-125Racer is on a distinguished road

F-125Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Mine does EXACTLY the same thing. Tech guy told me it's a torque converter shudder, and it's nothing to worry about.
It does it the same way on everything I tow, 4,500lb trailer, 3,500lb boat and trailer, 4,000lb tractor on a 2,400lb trailer. With 950lb in the bed of the truck, it still does it, but about 50% as much.