Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Brake controller issues, first-gen tacoma

Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Brake controller issues, first-gen tacoma

Ok, so my new Tekonsha P2 brake controller is pissing me off. It only intermittently connects to my trailer (I'd guess only 20% of the time it works). Typically all it displays is the two dots (boost 1 is on), but no .c. when the trailer is connected. Occasionally, it will flash n.c. on startup for 15 seconds and then go to . . but won't recognize the trailer.

I've got test lights on the 7pin trailer connector at the back of the truck and they light up correctly. Lights and turn signals on the trailer are working.

I am having the ABS light come on randomly while driving -- pretty sure the ABS computer is failing. Would that cause the trailer not to connect?

I know the trailer is good -- my roommate tows it with his truck with no problems.

Thoughts? How do I figure out what's going on?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Well, I plugged in my roommate's Tekonsha Primus brake controller to my truck (same wiring, same trailer) and it connects every time without a problem. Pretty sure I've just got a defective brake controller then.

That's why I buy things from Amazon! Replacement en route.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #3

Firefighter:
got the new controller... works like a champ! defective controller was the culprit