1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boat towing & launching - Rear Diff questions

Discussion in 'Towing' started by staymates788, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sep 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    staymates788

staymates788 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    Anaheim, CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed w/ TRD Sport
    Alright guys, I've done an exhaustive search on here before posting. Either I'm blind or maybe just not using the right key words.

I am looking at buying a boat (Yamaha AR240, looking to be a tad over 5,000# loaded and such). I got the stock factory towing package and am in the process of installing ATF & Engine Oil Temp gauges.

#1) I've heard of rear differentials taking a beating when towing and was wondering if the Tacomas are able to swap out the rear case to one with external fins to aid in cooling the oil? Or if that wouldn't even be necessary.

#2) I've seen the breather mod for the rear diff and just wanted to hear from anyone who launches boats if the rear diff gets dunked. (Requiring this mod to be done)

Some trips will be under 2 hours towing with some being longer into AZ at maybe 6 hours towing.

Thanks!

2. Sep 3, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    mountainman94

mountainman94 awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    A Place of Higher Learning
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD SR5
    5100's/Eibach coils; 2 inch toytech AAL, Black Pacer 15x8 wheels, 32x11.5 BFG AT K/Os
    i know this reply isn't about the towing portion of your post, but you mentioned you were buying a yamaha AR240. My father is a supervisor in Vonore, Tennessee, where those boats are built and tested. I've had several opportunities to both ride in and drive most of Yamaha's line, and the AR240 is an awesome boat. sorry to thread jack, but i just wanted to drop my 2 cents on that and say good choice on the boat.

3. Sep 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    you shouldn't have to worry about the rear diff.
    first off, you have a sport modle, which means you have a slightly larger rear end, that is internally trussed, making it a little stronger than toyotas 8'' diff.

if you look in the manual, toyoa recomends if you tow, that you change the diff fluid in shorter incriments. i think reguar is every 30k miles and when you tow, they say every 20k. but don't quote me on that. gear oil and the LSD additive is relatively cheap, so i change mine every 15k miles. I tow a 6000 lbs boat on a regular basis, and frequently over long distances. last january, I towed it from virginia to florida in 2 days, which worked out to abotu 8 hours a day, two days in a row.

the guages you are working on, paired with relocating the rear diff breather should have you all set for your towing needs.

4. Sep 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    staymates788

staymates788 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    Anaheim, CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed w/ TRD Sport
    Sweet, Thanks for the help guys!

5. Sep 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I recommend doing the breather mod. I've never got the rear diff completly under water while launching but have got the bottom of it wet....kinda depends on the boat,trailer, and launch angle though.

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    As above, how wet you get is really dependent on the ramp you use and other specifics about the boat and trailer. If you're launching in salt, I would strongly suggest that you do NOT submerge any part of your truck in the water, not healthy. Launching boats at my local boat ramp (fresh water), I back in until the rear tires are standing on the water line. For that ramp and my boat, that is the point where the bow eye is precisely at float height. About 15 years ago, before they renovated the ramp and installed the steep concrete pads, it was a shallow sandy ramp and you had to back in until the FRONT tires were at the water line. It was fun with a 2wd, always had to bring a come-along and a chain to pull out.

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    no breather mod herre, and I have had my read diff submerged for 6 hours at times. I launch the boat, and leave the truck in the water, if I launch from the beach. Never had water issues in the diff, but I change the fluid often (15k to 30k miles)

Products Discussed in

To Top