Notices

Boat towing & launching - Rear Diff questions

Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
staymates788 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: SEAN
staymates788's Tacoma Gallery
Boat towing & launching - Rear Diff questions

Alright guys, I've done an exhaustive search on here before posting. Either I'm blind or maybe just not using the right key words.

I am looking at buying a boat (Yamaha AR240, looking to be a tad over 5,000# loaded and such). I got the stock factory towing package and am in the process of installing ATF & Engine Oil Temp gauges.

#1) I've heard of rear differentials taking a beating when towing and was wondering if the Tacomas are able to swap out the rear case to one with external fins to aid in cooling the oil? Or if that wouldn't even be necessary.

#2) I've seen the breather mod for the rear diff and just wanted to hear from anyone who launches boats if the rear diff gets dunked. (Requiring this mod to be done)

Some trips will be under 2 hours towing with some being longer into AZ at maybe 6 hours towing.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
i know this reply isn't about the towing portion of your post, but you mentioned you were buying a yamaha AR240. My father is a supervisor in Vonore, Tennessee, where those boats are built and tested. I've had several opportunities to both ride in and drive most of Yamaha's line, and the AR240 is an awesome boat. sorry to thread jack, but i just wanted to drop my 2 cents on that and say good choice on the boat.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
1 - No need.

2 - I would do the breather mod. It is cheap and easy to do.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
you shouldn't have to worry about the rear diff.
first off, you have a sport modle, which means you have a slightly larger rear end, that is internally trussed, making it a little stronger than toyotas 8'' diff.

if you look in the manual, toyoa recomends if you tow, that you change the diff fluid in shorter incriments. i think reguar is every 30k miles and when you tow, they say every 20k. but don't quote me on that. gear oil and the LSD additive is relatively cheap, so i change mine every 15k miles. I tow a 6000 lbs boat on a regular basis, and frequently over long distances. last january, I towed it from virginia to florida in 2 days, which worked out to abotu 8 hours a day, two days in a row.

the guages you are working on, paired with relocating the rear diff breather should have you all set for your towing needs.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
staymates788 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: SEAN
staymates788's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, Thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend doing the breather mod. I've never got the rear diff completly under water while launching but have got the bottom of it wet....kinda depends on the boat,trailer, and launch angle though.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
As above, how wet you get is really dependent on the ramp you use and other specifics about the boat and trailer. If you're launching in salt, I would strongly suggest that you do NOT submerge any part of your truck in the water, not healthy. Launching boats at my local boat ramp (fresh water), I back in until the rear tires are standing on the water line. For that ramp and my boat, that is the point where the bow eye is precisely at float height. About 15 years ago, before they renovated the ramp and installed the steep concrete pads, it was a shallow sandy ramp and you had to back in until the FRONT tires were at the water line. It was fun with a 2wd, always had to bring a come-along and a chain to pull out.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
no breather mod herre, and I have had my read diff submerged for 6 hours at times. I launch the boat, and leave the truck in the water, if I launch from the beach. Never had water issues in the diff, but I change the fluid often (15k to 30k miles)