1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does This Travel Trailer Sound OK to Tow?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by loknload, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Sep 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    loknload

loknload [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Woodburn, OR
    OME 886 coils, Alcan AAL, 33" Toyo Open Country M/T
    My wife, kids, and I are looking for our first travel trailer. I have absolutely no experience towing something that big. The only towing experience I have with my Tacoma is towing a two motorcycle trailer with 2 road racing bikes on it and I hardly knew it was back there, however, that total package probably only weighed a couple thousand pounds. Anyway, I have a 2008 TRD Sport double cab longbed 4WD that is lifted with OME coils and Alcan AAL's on 295/70-17 Toyo Open Country M/T's. It does have the tow package.

The trailer we are looking at is a Keystone Passport 238ML Ultra Lite. The dry weight shows to be 3890 pounds (shipping weight shows 3707 pounds, if that makes any difference) and the carrying capacity of the trailer looks to be 1415 pounds. it has 30 gallon fresh, gray, and black water tanks and two 20 gallon propane tanks as well as dual batteries. So, all three tanks full would add 750 pounds. So that's a grand total of 4640 pounds wet. Now I need to add in what a family of 4 will carry and I have no idea what that weight would be in addition to miscellaneous things like dishes, food, etc... I read the towing bible but I have no idea how much weight to add to the 4640 pounds.

So, for those of you that are experienced with this sort of thing, am I going to be fine or is this pushing it for my Tacoma. I will be using a weight distributing hitch with sway control and a Tekonsha Primus brake controller. Thanks for your help.

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:
    You will be fine. Just pack light. I tow a 22' ft trailer that has a dry weight of 3926 lbs.

3. Sep 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    Most people in your situation will keep their tanks empty until they get close to their destination. It will help you out on the highway and any extra bit helps, but I think you should be alright. The longer wheel base will help with sway compared to the short bed trucks. Make sure you get a good sway control system anyway and spend some time dialing in your brake controller.

I'm looking for a TT for my Yukon. I've spent alot of time researching the 7700lb weight limit on that truck.

4. Sep 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Your problem will be the tongue weight. Your empty hitch weight is probably around 600 lbs, likely a little more even. With 4 people in the truck, you won't be able to take anything else in the truck, or be over the limit. If you pack everything in the trailer, it may be possible, but it would be a act of balancing every time to not increase the tongue weight by too much.
    Now that's all if you want to stay within the limits, and keep the family safe. If the limits don't matter to you, then disregard what I said. :)

5. Sep 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    zachc113

zachc113 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tow package wouldnt hurt though. The extra cooling systems will help alot.

6. Sep 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Your grey and black tanks won't be full on your way to destination. And I usually dump whats left in fresh water as soon as I leave camp and try to dump grey and black as soon as I can on the return trip.

7. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    loknload

Member:
    Woodburn, OR
    Hitch weight is 495 according to the manufacturer and GVWR is 5400 pounds.

8. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    loknload

Member:
    Woodburn, OR
    I knew the grey and black tanks wouldn't be full going there but I was figuring on the return trip until I could get to a dump. Most of the time we will probably be at state campgrounds that have hookups but if I can't use water there and dump before I pull out, I need to be able to pull it back.

9. Sep 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:

I have 2 tanks of 30 gallons of propane which weighs 52lbs each (total 104).

I am thinking of just ditching one tank for now. Trailer tongue weight is 416lbs dry (assuming propane is excluded).

10. Sep 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Once you add two propane tanks and dual batteries to that, you are most likely approaching 700 lbs. That will be your limiting factor. Add gear, some water in the water heater, etc ....

11. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    Did you end up getting that ultralight 238ml? We r looking at it too.

12. Nov 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:

Just pop the drains once you hit pavement. Your mpg will improve as you drive and EVERYONE behind you will have a story to tell for the rest of their lives.

Products Discussed in

To Top