Notices

What gas mileage you get towing?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
turbo325ii is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
turbo325ii's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post

Wind resistance is your enemy, not the truck.
+1 Thats why I want a pop up trailer.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you turbo.

I want a TrailManor but MAN, those dudes are pricey.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
lotsip will become famous soon enoughlotsip will become famous soon enough

lotsip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacochips View Post
I have a 5.7 Camplite TC loaded and I'm getting 16+ mpg. Only 2000 miles on the truck so I'm hoping to break 17 once its broken in.
4cyl, 4WD, Auto, Reg. Cab
Unloaded I'm pushing 22-23 at this time...
Nice looking rig! I came very close to buying that exact camper last week! I chickened out and got a hard sided pop-up , the A122, by Forest River/Rockwood, instead.

How do u like the Camplite so far ?

here are some pics of the A122, picking her up tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
What gas mileage you get towing?-a122closed.jpg   What gas mileage you get towing?-a122opened.jpg   What gas mileage you get towing?-a122sink.jpg   What gas mileage you get towing?-a122dining.jpg   What gas mileage you get towing?-a122bed.jpg  

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
15-16 hwy at 70-75, 6x12 open trailer
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #25
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Around 15 mpg at 65 mph towing 5500 lbs. The difference tends to come from which way the wind is blowing. As a rule of thumb it is always blowing against me.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Have been testing fuel economy for a few months towing a 1500lb CampLite 11RD with two Kayaks mounted on pickup shell. Last weekend towing through Charleston SC averaged 18.5MPG @ speeds up to 50MPH. With no wind got 17.5MPG @ 53MPH average in 4th gear. Heading home on the interstate @ 55MPH in 4th gear @ 2500 RPM with about 10MPH headwind, only got 15.5MPG. Fuel results from ScangaugeE. The above results in eastern SC (no mountains) with a 2.4L/manual 5 speed. Can get up to 31MPG with this Taco empty without Kayaks on the shell.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #27
Rocknroll is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Rocknroll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
I hear you turbo.

I want a TrailManor but MAN, those dudes are pricey.
A new one was way out of my price range. I ended up finding a five year old 2720 for 16,000.[ATTACH]What gas mileage you get towing?-dsc02224.jpg[/ATTACH]
Old 03-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #28
Tuckaseetacoma is on a distinguished road
Army: Parhfinder
Name: Gary
Tuckaseetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Truck weighs empty 2800 or so . It's a 2011 taco dbl cab lb with three inch lift aal spring pack an 295 bfg at with Demello bull bar and winch. Before mods I got 20 empty on the highway ,17 on interstate going 78 . Now empty I get 17 on interstate .
Towing my 18 ft utility trailer that weighs 2k empty and 3 k with two Polaris 4x4s on it i get any where between 10 to 15 on a 700 mile trip to Texas twice a year.

If you have oversized tired don't forget to factor in the mileage you lose on the odometer . I lose ten percent when I do my mileage.....I.e; if I go 200 miles on 14 gallons I have to add twenty more mile to the odometer reading. Before I divide for the mpg. The bigger tires make less revolutions per mile so your odometer won't record the correct distance travelled!
I didn't think of that at first and I thought my milage was really bad .but it was not that bad . Our tacos get the same milage towing as most trucks get empty
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #29
F*ck It, Why Not!
armyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st ABN
Name: Chip
armyofsquirrels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringcarolina View Post
Have been testing fuel economy for a few months towing a 1500lb CampLite 11RD with two Kayaks mounted on pickup shell. Last weekend towing through Charleston SC averaged 18.5MPG @ speeds up to 50MPH. With no wind got 17.5MPG @ 53MPH average in 4th gear. Heading home on the interstate @ 55MPH in 4th gear @ 2500 RPM with about 10MPH headwind, only got 15.5MPG. Fuel results from ScangaugeE. The above results in eastern SC (no mountains) with a 2.4L/manual 5 speed. Can get up to 31MPG with this Taco empty without Kayaks on the shell.
How! I struggle to get 20mpg in my 2012 4cly when shifting at 2500rpm... How are you getting 31?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyofsquirrels View Post
How! I struggle to get 20mpg in my 2012 4cly when shifting at 2500rpm... How are you getting 31?
Travel back roads around 50 to 55MPH in 5th gear. Non mountain areas, no Kayaks on top of shell, A/C not operating, tire pressure @ 40PSI, nothing in the back of bed, not maintaining speed up hills (slowing down), gaining speed down hills, and not towing anything. Can exceed 31MPG driving like this. My Taco is stock except for Leer Shell, Class III hitch, Firestone air bags, ScanGaugeE, and 7 pin electrical connector. Run Synthetic transmission/differential lubes with 5W30 dino in the engine. My 2003 Standard Cab 2WD Taco is smaller & lighter than late model Tacos. My Taco empty curb weight without shell is 2750lbs according to the following link.

Have noticed fuel economy is terrible "until" engine reaches normal operating temps indicated on stock temp gauge. Will check normal operating temps with ScanGauge out of curiosity.

Here are specs found on line for the 2003 Taco.

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/toyota/...oma-specs.html

Here's a 4 cylinder Taco MPG thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...challenge.html

Checked engine operating temp today and it runs @ 175F

Checked RPM today @ 50MPH is 1850 and 55MPH is 2025 in 5th
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #31
F*ck It, Why Not!
armyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st ABN
Name: Chip
armyofsquirrels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringcarolina View Post
Travel back roads around 50 to 55MPH in 5th gear. Non mountain areas, no Kayaks on top of shell, A/C not operating, tire pressure @ 40PSI, nothing in the back of bed, not maintaining speed up hills (slowing down), gaining speed down hills, and not towing anything. Can exceed 31MPG driving like this. My Taco is stock except for Leer Shell, Class III hitch, Firestone air bags, ScanGaugeE, and 7 pin electrical connector. Run Synthetic transmission/differential lubes with 5W30 dino in the engine. My 2003 Standard Cab 2WD Taco is smaller & lighter than late model Tacos. My Taco empty curb weight without shell is 2750lbs according to the following link.

Have noticed fuel economy is terrible "until" engine reaches normal operating temps indicated on stock temp gauge. Will check normal operating temps with ScanGauge out of curiosity.

Here are specs found on line for the 2003 Taco.

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/toyota/...oma-specs.html

Here's a 4 cylinder Taco MPG thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...challenge.html

Checked engine operating temp today and it runs @ 175F

Checked RPM today @ 50MPH is 1850 and 55MPH is 2025 in 5th
Looks like you have this down to a science. I have a 2012 AC 4x4 with sliders on it it's a 5spd and I'm in MD so the gas is probably full of corn
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #32
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll View Post
A new one was way out of my price range. I ended up finding a five year old 2720 for 16,000.[ATTACH]Attachment 199431[/ATTACH]
Congrats, nice trailer!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyofsquirrels View Post
Looks like you have this down to a science. I have a 2012 AC 4x4 with sliders on it it's a 5spd and I'm in MD so the gas is probably full of corn

Been learning a lot from folks on this forum. The ScangaugeE was a lot of help showing me where to change my driving habits to get better fuel economy when towing or without trailer.

Checked out your build thread and you have a "very" nice Taco!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #34
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Pulling 2 four-wheelers (a Honda Rincon and a midsize polaris) I get around 13mpg average going ~200 miles
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #35
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Navy: Radioman Petty Officer Second Class
jdavis92's Tacoma Gallery
2005 DCSB w/towing package and w/URD TCAI

Trailer = Jayco Sport 165; 2800lbs dry

Drove 170 miles from 7000ft to 1500ft and got 14mpg
Drove back and got 11.5mpg

This was my first time towing this trailer with this truck so I was "learning" on the way down.

I would like to tow this on a stretch of relatively flat road to see what I would get.

I also felt like it was tough to get up to 70mph most of the time and not have the RPMs at 3000. What was everyone else's RPMs?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #36
Kaos is on a distinguished road
Kaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gibson View Post
My WORST EVER was 7.86 mpg, but I was doing 80 plus mph pulling the camper (about 4700lbs). I really don't do that normally, I had a family member in hospice care at the time. I normally get around 12mpg pulling the camper on the interstate at 70-75 mph, and 13-14 on highways at 55-60.
Nice rig! How does it tow? I'm new to the Tacomas and just purchased a 4,400 lb dry weight tt. After towing home from the rv dealer I'm thinking I now need a tow rig. The truck seems gutless when empty so I think it just shouldn't be used for towing. Once I fill trailer with water/cargo will probably be 5,500lbs can't imagine going up a hill.

Did you install a performance chip or something?

Thanks
Ken
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
I normally get 14-15mpg city/hwy mix.

This weekend I was towing a 1200lbs u-haul trailer, loaded to 3000lbs gross weight. The truck has a fully loaded bed, 4 passengers, and all their personal stuff.

Amazingly, I'm averaging a consistent 16.76 mpg on mountainous curvy roads going 55-60mph. My transmission is shifting at much lower RPM's and seems to be adapting extremely well to these conditions. I'm blown away by my numbers.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #38
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 24ft HiLo 4200 empty, plus 300 lb motorcycle in the bed that BluTaco pulled to Corpus Christi and back to beautiful NE Iowa where it is still winter. maintaining 60mph as much as possible 12.3 on the way down, maintaining 65 as much as possible on the way back 10.8 No problems with the moderate grades of the Flint Hills in KS but was down to 3rd and 4000 rpm a few times.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #39
J Gibson is on a distinguished road

Navy: Hospital Corpsman, 4th MarDiv
Name: J
J Gibson's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
Nice rig! How does it tow? I'm new to the Tacomas and just purchased a 4,400 lb dry weight tt. After towing home from the rv dealer I'm thinking I now need a tow rig. The truck seems gutless when empty so I think it just shouldn't be used for towing. Once I fill trailer with water/cargo will probably be 5,500lbs can't imagine going up a hill.

Did you install a performance chip or something?

Thanks
Ken
Nah, my drivetrain is stock. I think it pulls pretty good. Not much different than the 05 f-150 5.4 liter that I traded for the Tacoma. I rarely if ever tow with any water on board. I fill the fresh water when I get where I am going if there aren't fresh water hook-ups where I am camping. I also dump my waste tanks before getting back on the highway. It ain't no cummins diesel, but for the ease of around town driving and commuting gas mileage I will tow a little slower over the mountain, but on flat ground or rolling hills I can tow faster than my wife wants to ride
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #40

Just got back from another camping trip. This is the second trip we took the bicycles on hitch rack between the Taco & Travel Trailer. Started using a 2" drop/extended hitch on the previous camping trip because it works with the bicycle rack instead of using the 3/4" lift hitch.

On the last camping trip learned I could tow in 5th gear up slight grades and never had enough power when using the 3/4" lift hitch in the past. By lowering the hitch, it "must" have decreased TT wind resistance. I still have to use 4th gear on steeper grades, but now use 5th gear the majority of the time on interstates.

Found the fuel economy improved to 17MPG @ 60MPH average going 65MPH down hills and 55MPH up hills in non-mountain areas in central Carolinas.

Additional info: Approximate weight of the CampLite 11RD TT, Bicycles/rack, Kayaks/rack, and additional camping gear in the truck bed is probably 2000lbs. MPG results using ScanGaugeE with a 2003 2WD 2.4L 5 speed manual Taco with Firestone air bags on the rear differential. It was not windy during this trip. Tire air pressure cold 40PSI Taco & 50PSI TT. Best fuel cost found in SC @ $3.32 per gallon.