Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What gas mileage you get towing?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #41
gologit is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic...Air Cav  66-70
Name: Bob
Location: Up the hill from Grass Valley. Born and raised in northern Cal. Live and work in the Sierras.
gologit's Tacoma Gallery

V-6, auto 4x4. I tow mostly in the mountains and usually average about 14 1/2.

On flat ground, with no headwind, I get about 16. No complaints.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #42
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
gologit,

That's good fuel economy. Guessing that's a Casita TT?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #43
gologit is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic...Air Cav  66-70
Name: Bob
Location: Up the hill from Grass Valley. Born and raised in northern Cal. Live and work in the Sierras.
gologit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringcarolina View Post
gologit,

That's good fuel economy. Guessing that's a Casita TT?
Yes it is. Matter of fact I'm sitting in it right now. We're on our way up the Oregon coast for some combination work and vacation.

I think the Casita shape helps with the mileage. There are very few flat surfaces anywhere on it. Good little rig.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #44
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Navy: Radioman Petty Officer Second Class
jdavis92's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a picture of our rig.

Planning a trip from Flagstaff to Northern California in June. 1800 miles round trip with LOTS of hills to climb.

I'll definitely report the mileage on that one.

Jeff in Flagstaff
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #45
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 19.5 foot travel trailer, getting around 10-12 mpg (2800 dry, about 3600 loaded)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #46
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
i just pulled a uhaul 5x8 box trailer pretty well loaded (couple gun safes, queen matress set, dresser and some boxes from OKC to Richmond VA, i saw between 11.5mpg to 13.3mpg. premium gas was getting me the higher mps. i was doing 80+ ever chance i could (which was most of it)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #47
empty hull is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
empty hull's Tacoma Gallery
12 mpg pulling a Baja 202 Islander with my 2009 Tacoma TRD Off Road 2wd. Pulls great and does a good job on the ramp....so far. The mileage check was on the tow back from Ft Walton Beach, Fl to Baton Rouge, La. Speed was about 65 mph. Tim
Old 05-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #48
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
3000# load, Average 14MPG over 800miles.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #49
robm7 is on a distinguished road

robm7's Tacoma Gallery
Need to know more how you have bicycle rack and trailer hitched in combination. Any detailed pictures? Thanks

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #50
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
9-12mpg towing a 15ft toy hauler. 5100lb
Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #51
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm7 View Post
Need to know more how you have bicycle rack and trailer hitched in combination. Any detailed pictures? Thanks
Wanted to take bicycles with kayaks camping. With a 2"X4" aluminum rear bumper on the camper, did not want to hang two bikes/rack on the camper bumper or put the bikes on top of the pickup shell increasing wind resistance. Used an extended hitch with a Swagman XP bike rack between the camper & pickup.

Before, had been hauling the camper with a 3/4" rise hitch. This bike rack works with a 2" drop hitch, letting the front of the camper ride a little lower. Found I could use 5th gear on level & slight uphill grades @ 60MPH average @ 16 to 17MPG. Before when using the 3/4" lift hitch, I could not tow the camper up any grade, without going to 4th gear on interstates. Guess by lowering the front of the camper slightly, gives "less" wind resistance.

You can see the ladies bike is closer to the camper with the Swagman cross bar installed for use with the rack. This rig turns sharp enough for "me" and could turn sharper with the man's bike closer to the camper, since it rides higher than the ladies bike.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #52
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPower05 View Post
I tow a 19.5 foot travel trailer, getting around 10-12 mpg (2800 dry, about 3600 loaded)
Not sure how some of you are getting the mileage you are getting but man I wish I was getting it.

We just did a trip from Flagstaff, AZ to Guerneville, CA and back. Roughly 1700 miles round trip. Here is the elevation profile for the trip.

Over the entire trip I averaged just over 10MPG. The best I got was 12.5 and the worst was 9.

Kept it in 4th most of the time, occasionally 5th (D) and 3rd (uphill and passing).
Speed ranged between 60-65.
RPMs usually about 2700.
87 octane gas

Trailer is a 2007 Jayco JayFeather 165 Sport. 2800lbs dry, we were probably around 3100lbs with our gear and propane. However, not shown in the photo here, we had 3 bikes on the roof of the truck which didn't help I'm sure. Maybe a couple hundred pounds of gear in the bed of the truck. Had an E2 WDH hooked up which did help level things out and did keep the ride smoother.

We spent 6 nights on the Russian River so the cost of gas was a wash with what it would have cost us to get a hotel or a rental.

Jeff in Flagstaff
Old 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #53
2013TXEDITION has a spectacular aura about2013TXEDITION has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wayne
2013TXEDITION's Tacoma Gallery
Anywhere from 14 - 16 pulling about a 3,000 bass boat going between 65 and 70 mph.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #54
Took another trip with a couple of differences.

1. Put some spacers on the trailer so things were a bit more level.
2. Had a 17ft canoe on the top this time instead of bikes.

As you can see by the elevation profile, we went down hill on the way out. But I have gone down much steeper slopes over a shorter distance before. On the way back we had a wicked head/cross wind and everything towed straight.

MPG there = 15
MPG back = 10.5

I'll take it.

Jeff in Flagstaff
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #55
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis92 View Post
Took another trip with a couple of differences.

1. Put some spacers on the trailer so things were a bit more level.
2. Had a 17ft canoe on the top this time instead of bikes.
What do you mean by "spacers on the trailer"?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #56
rotorwind is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
rotorwind's Tacoma Gallery
First trip with my toy hauler. 11 mpg going 68 on the highway. Around 5000 pounds loaded. Not too bad. 2012 V6 AC 4x4 with towing package
Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
What do you mean by "spacers on the trailer"?
2.5" lift spacers between the trailer frame and axle.

If you look at photos a couple of posts up, you can tell the difference in trailer height.

The trailer rode higher and everything was more level.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #58
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis92 View Post
2.5" lift spacers between the trailer frame and axle.

If you look at photos a couple of posts up, you can tell the difference in trailer height.

The trailer rode higher and everything was more level.
Interesting. I've been wanting to do that with mine. With my high clearance bumper and 3" lift, I'm running a 12" drop and my trailer is still nose up. Would love to put spacers in it to lift it.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #59
Misterk40 is on a distinguished road
Army: Korea & Germany in the 60s
Misterk40's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06 taco w/6 speed standard. ~80,000 mi. Towed a 27' jay feather, about 5,000 -5,500 lbs. for about 900 miles into the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming. About 9 mpg.
An old friend, a WWII vet, said the Army taught him to always keep it in a gear that you could maintain your rpms. I follow that. Push your engine by not downshifting, burn your valves. Ex bro-in-law proved it. No, I'm not crazy. I know it's a lot of weight. Damn fine truck.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #60
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
10 mpg. It's horrible. Need a diesel. 180 miles max before fillup. I guess I could wait til I hit 200 miles, but then I'd have one gallon left in the tank. Nope.