Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

probably a dumb question...but gear?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
12tacoma928 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
12tacoma928's Tacoma Gallery
probably a dumb question...but gear?

I have a 2012 4x4 dbl cab automatic transmission with tow package, will be towing a 3620 dry hybrid travel trailer, have a weight distribution hitch which was included with the used camper. I have seen on the forum(s) people talk about "4" to keep the transmission in, but do they mean for a 5 speed manual or automatic? Should I be in "D" (think people on here have said that) or "4" for automatic?

sorry to be such a noob! thanks for any help!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tacoma928 View Post
I have a 2012 4x4 dbl cab automatic transmission with tow package, will be towing a 3620 dry hybrid travel trailer, have a weight distribution hitch which was included with the used camper. I have seen on the forum(s) people talk about "4" to keep the transmission in, but do they mean for a 5 speed manual or automatic? Should I be in "D" (think people on here have said that) or "4" for automatic?

sorry to be such a noob! thanks for any help!
D unless it is hunting , then 4
Old 09-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Automatics are the issue.....run them in 4th....not "D" when towing.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Automatics are the issue.....run them in 4th....not "D" when towing.
Why
Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Why
Towing a load on the Interstate (55+ mph) with slight grades will have it shifting alot....overheating the fluid in the tranny....causing excess wear. In town or at lower speeds it would not matter.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Bingo
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Towing a load on the Interstate (55+ mph) with slight grades will have it shifting alot....overheating the fluid in the tranny....causing excess wear. In town or at lower speeds it would not matter.
That's what I said , D unless it's hunting , then 4

Does the tranny cooler not cool the tranny fluid ?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Pavement Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's what I said , D unless it's hunting , then 4

Does the tranny cooler not cool the tranny fluid ?

You are correct Oz.....you have to play it by ear when towing. I tow in "D" until I start hitting the hills.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'd definitely install a seperate trans cooler to seperate it from the rad, considering the horror stories of the lines rupturing inside the rad then killing both the engine and the trans.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
I'd definitely install a seperate trans cooler to seperate it from the rad, considering the horror stories of the lines rupturing inside the rad then killing both the engine and the trans.
Another one on top of the Tow Package cooler ?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #11

If it runs through the rad then ya. I'd give it its own electric fan, too.