1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

27' trailer too much?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by mccarroll, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Sep 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    mccarroll

mccarroll [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4
    Hi all, real quick question. Looking AT A 27' trailer, dry weight of 4500 lbs, 450 tongue weight and GVWR of 6300. I have the double cab v6 4x4 with tow package, that allows me up to the 6300 lbs.

Should i be concerned with the length and weight? any experiences? I will deff be going with a good weight distribution hitch with sway control and an electric brake controller.

thanks.

2. Sep 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    You can tow the trailer just fine..just dont put anything in it. The weight limit is there for a reason on these trucks.

3. Sep 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    It's too much, unless it's an empty trailer and there is nothing in the truck but you. And even then, you would be on the edge. Any side wind and that trailer would push your truck around wherever it likes.

4. Sep 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not exactly.

Your GCVWR is only a hair over 11,000. Depending on your passenger and cargo load in the truck, you can begin to bump up against that with the trailer weight around 5800.

5. Sep 24, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    mccarroll

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4
    So, I have 11,000 to work with. Anyone know the approximate weight of the truck?

6. Sep 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    GaryArt1

GaryArt1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Bohemia, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4.0 DCLB 4x4
    The GVWR is 11,100. The Truck weight is 4,100 +/- dependng on model. That gives you about 7,000 for trailer, occupants, supplies.

I tow a 30' Travel Trailer that is about 6K gross weight. It handles great and I believe my Taco is ideal for my situation (not towing daily). Here are some suggestions that helped me:

1. Have the rear spring TSB done or get air bags (I have both). You will eliminate any rear end sag.

2. Get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. I use Reese Dual Cam but there are others out there. It eliminates sway and white knuckle driving.

3. Take it easy. You won't race up hills and it gets to be a handful if you travel 70+ mph. I like to keep it around 60 mph. And look at it this way, you will have a much more pleasent drive and not get such horrendous gas mileage ( I get about 11-12 mpg).

4. Get a good brake contoller. That is a lot of trailer to stop with the little Taco. It needs to stop itself. I have a P-3 and with leaving a little extra distance, never had a issue stopping.

5. Get some decent towing mirrors. The normal Taco mirrors don't let you see enough with a trailer that big. I have the McKesh model and they really help. I have been also following a thread on this forum that is promising a more permanant towing mirror.

6. Don't overpack. Keep in mind the weight adds up quickly. If you bring everything but the kitchen sink, you can get too heavy. There is a lot of leaway between the dry weight and the gross. Keep it somewhere between. Also travel with empty tanks when possible. Keep in mind a full 40 gal tank can add 320+ lbs. If all threee tanks are full you added almost 1000 lbs.

7. Pack right. Don't put all the weight in the back. It will be unstable. I rather keep the tongue weight heavier than lighter. It makes the trailer tow better and I add a little more pressure in the air bags. The only time I had trailer sway was pulling a 16' pop up with no sway control and mispacked with all the heavy items pushed behind axle. It wasn't a fun experience. My 30' doesn't move behind me even when tractor trailers pass.

8. Keep good tires on both the tow vehicle and trailer. I don't care how big of a tow vehicle you have, a blow out is never a casual experience ( I also had this with my popup).

With the steps above and some towing experience, I know you would have a pleasurable experience towing as I do. The biggest challange is to not forget it is behind me on long flat roads. Godd luck

7. Sep 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    He's got a 2012 Doublecab 4x4.

Long bed is 4,190, short bed is 4,155
    GVWR is 5,450, GCVWR is 11,100

Payload is 1260 to 1295... subtract tongue weight from that so you're already below a 700lb payload limit with a 6,000lb trailer at 10% tongue.
    That's 4 Canadians.... or 2 Americans.

With the truck loaded to 5,450, that leaves only 5,650 for the trailer.

8. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    GaryArt1

GaryArt1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Bohemia, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4.0 DCLB 4x4
    Yes, I can see what you are saying. Lucklily no one in my family is 350 lbs nor do I go camping with the football team. Just consider with your math, loading the truck to payload capacity you are also including in 600 lbs of tongue weight of trailer. That would be part of the trailer weight so the actual trailer weight max would be 6,250. I have no problem going up to the maximum numbers without exceeding them knowing that engineers over design and under estimate max weight limits especialy in the US due to liability. I take care of my trucks but use them for what they were meant for.

The advise I offered is from my real life towing experience. I have now towed many different types of trailers with multiple vehicles and feel my Taco can more than handle the trailer I have safely (similar to trailer in the OP). Then again I might not if it was my first towing expereince (but I probably wouldn't be towing a 30' trailer either). Most of the towing I do is within 300 miles of my home and not over the Rockies (though I have towed through the north eastern mountains). Also I do have the long bed which adds on some length and stability to tow vehicle. So I guess my best answer to the OP's question if a 27' trailer is too much is...depends.

9. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    mccarroll

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4
    Thanks for the posts guys. It is all good info.

10. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Double edged sword there.
    Ya... my parents towed a 16ft tent trailer behind a '69 Buick LeSabre, and a 24ft Prowler behind a '74 Blazer.
    That Blazer almost put us in our graves when a truck cut us off and forced us into the center median... dad barely held it together.... but that's beside the point.

Yes, it may indeed be safe to push the capacities, but that liability issue rears it's head if something does happen. 5lbs over and Toyota is off the hook... it's all on you and your insurance company, possibly even if you are not at fault.

Products Discussed in

To Top