Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

For the non believers :) Towing 6500 lbs

Old 09-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
fur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fur pig's Tacoma Gallery
For the non believers :) Towing 6500 lbs

Hey guys,

I bought a 2012 tacoma knowing that i'd occasionally be using it to tow my rockcrawler around and this weekend was the first time I got to put it to the test.
Rockcrawler weighs 4100lbs, trailer is 2k and camping gear etc. put me right at max tow capacity. I am using a prodigy brake controller and have firestone riderite airbags in the back.
Here is the load:

Verdict:
Truck kicked @ss. I kept it out of 5th gear and put the auto shifter in 4th the whole time. On the highway it would maintain 4th without shifting back and forth between 3 and 4. I could easily maintain 75 mph (about 3k RPM) and avg'd a little better than 10mpg. There was one beast of a mountain I went up and dropped to 65mph and hit 3rd a couple times but it did great.
I definitely couldn't haul ass like my buddy with the eco-boost or the duramax but nevertheless the truck surprised me.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
nice!

do you have any problems stopping? i tow my rockcrawler on a 16fter using a Tekonsha P3 controller quite often. and like you say, tows great and the power is there. but the stopping/braking sucks, for me anyways. im always weary of not being able to stop in time during panick braking situation so a stay way back from being behind anyone. i am also re-geared to a 4.56 ratio which makes it a little easier to tow. i think the re-gear helps me stay in gear between 5th and 4th more constantly when compared to having stock gears.

here's my junk
Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
fur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fur pig's Tacoma Gallery
Sick rig...s....lol.
Stopping was no problem but I didn't have any panic stops. If I manually start pulling the lever on my brake controller, once I get to 3v I can feel it slowing my truck pretty decent, then around 10V the tires damn near are locking up. I only have brakes on 1 axle but did just service them and put new magnets on.
Your yota is sick though, what are your specs?
Mine is an 85 runner, blown 5vz-fe swap, 39.5 iroks, 4.7 duals etc.. Here is my build thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...eez-metal.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
nice!

do you have any problems stopping? i tow my rockcrawler on a 16fter using a Tekonsha P3 controller quite often. and like you say, tows great and the power is there. but the stopping/braking sucks, for me anyways. im always weary of not being able to stop in time during panick braking situation so a stay way back from being behind anyone. i am also re-geared to a 4.56 ratio which makes it a little easier to tow. i think the re-gear helps me stay in gear between 5th and 4th more constantly when compared to having stock gears.

here's my junk
Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Pretty much the as yours, 86 turbo with a 5vz-fe swap on 39.5" krawlers
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I tow nearly the same weight, braking sucks on hills, and obviously snow/rain...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I hauled my rig back from the trails following a buddy with a gas 3/4 ton. When we stopped get some food on the way back he was upset to find out I was getting better mileage than he does. The Tacoma is a surprising tow vehicle.

I'm surprised that the OP was towing at 3k rpms though. I tend to keep my truck when loaded and in 4th no higher than 2,500 rpms if I can. Has anyone else done much towing at 3k rpms?

Old pic of my rig shortly after I got it.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
I hauled my rig back from the trails following a buddy with a gas 3/4 ton. When we stopped get some food on the way back he was upset to find out I was getting better mileage than he does. The Tacoma is a surprising tow vehicle.

I'm surprised that the OP was towing at 3k rpms though. I tend to keep my truck when loaded and in 4th no higher than 2,500 rpms if I can. Has anyone else done much towing at 3k rpms?

Old pic of my rig shortly after I got it.

I usually tow in 4th around 65 MPH, so what ever RPM's that is, over 10k towing miles
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I feel like this thread should be retitled Show of your 2nd Gen towing your Old school pickup Rock Crawler
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I usually tow in 4th around 65 MPH, so what ever RPM's that is, over 10k towing miles
That is around 2,500 rpm then if you are still stock geared. That is how I usually tow also. I don't have that many tow miles on this truck yet; but at the rate I'm towing it won't take much longer.

I really need to get an electronic brake controller and a trailer with a brake axle. Stopping without a trailer brake can get fun in a horrible kind of way.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I feel like this thread should be retitled Show of your 2nd Gen towing your Old school pickup Rock Crawler
Agreed!

My taco does fine towing the horunner. I was coming down a 2 lane highway yesterday and people kept getting in my damn way goin' slow. I run between 65 and 70 mph in 4th at about 2500-2700 rpms with 265/75/16 tires and stock gears.

Unfortunately my Prodigy P2 brake controller quit working yesterday, Luckily I was close to home and kept it slow. It has power but doesn't recognize the trailer being hooked up, and displays "NC" when I pull the manual lever.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
I was just towing my 1st gen with my 2nd gen in my parents yard because its broken (and im too broke to fix it) wish i got a pic for this thread!