1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A bit confused

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Vikinglord, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Vikinglord

Vikinglord [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Gold Prerunner
    Hello gang. I have read the towing bible, and tried to read online manuals. I have the Gen 2 V6 Taco with NO towing package. From what I have read, it is about 3600 max towing without this package. The concession trailer I am building will be extremely close to that weight limit, possible total weight of 4000lbs.

I have the trailer brakes, control unit, break away system, etc. I read about the back springs and tranny cooler, which is very dooble. I will be local and just on weekends.

The last thing I want to do is chunk this truck for my new side business. I am doing everything to keep the weight down, using aluminum everywhere, having it wrapped, etc.

I am not sure if the tow bible was written for tow package when it says 6500. I imagine it is. I am wondering if anyone here has experience pulling a 8x14 concession type trailer with NO tow package? I do have the class 3 hitch and wiring as well.

Thanks for you help as always. This site never lets me down. :D

2. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you install all of the relevant components, it will be an equivalent vehicle to one equipped with the "tow package", however, there is nothing in this world that you can do to change the vehicle's registered GCWR. That is the number that the gobbimint and your insurance company have in their record to decide if you're doing something you shouldn't be.

If you never get into an accident, you probably won't ever deal with this issue. Occasionally, there can be road-side police weight checks, however out here, they don't actually take GCWR into account, just the axle loads of the truck and trailer. If you DO get into an accident, it could be problems, HOWEVER, it MIGHT be possible to fight it (court) if you can demonstrate that you have performed all reasonably necessary modifications in order to support the higher GCWR. Your mileage may vary and I recommend checking with a competent lawyer.

Products Discussed in

To Top