Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing weight - help

Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Ydshuler is on a distinguished road
Ydshuler's Tacoma Gallery
Towing weight - help

I have a 2007 Prerunner which did not have a towing package. It has a 5 speed automatic transmission. I had a class III hitch installed and recently purchased a travel trailer. Dry weight of the travel trailer is 5100 lbs. I did have a braking system installed and was informed by the place where I bought the trailer that the truck should pull it with no issues. After reading some of the posts on here, I am worried that I may damage my truck. I pulled it home with no issues, but as some have stated we knew it was back there. As you can tell, I don't know much about towing with this truck. I drove it home with the transmission in "D", and from the other posts apparently it should have been in "4" so the overdrive would not kick in. Am I pushing my truck past its limits?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would get an auxiliary tranny cooler on there ASAP. As far as what gear to use it depends on the terrain. If the trans is shofting back and forth from 5th to 4th then you should be in 4th.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Ydshuler is on a distinguished road
Ydshuler's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. Will get one on it ASAP. So you believe the Tacoma should have no major issues pulling it? Probably won't pull it over 100 miles at a time. Again thanks for the response!!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
keep her maintained! do the tranny cooler, look into synthetic auto fluid.
and the most important thing is to take it easy! hard starts just stresses everything out, and plan for your stops.
even with trailer brakes make your your trucks are in good shape.
make sure you have changed the brake fluid also.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe trailering is to much for you or you-re understanding. Why do not invest in a truck book and find out for yourself?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey just take your time.
don't be embarrassed to ask for help. hell get it all hooked up and if you have a mall nearby, in the after hours go practice.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Maybe trailering is to much for you or you-re understanding. Why do not invest in a truck book and find out for yourself?
Wow... what a helpful post. Oh, and you're.

OP, you're pushing the limits of your class 3 receiver. They're only rated for 5,000 lbs, 5,500 with a W/D hitch if I recall correctly. I'd lose the class III and look for an OEM class 4 for that kind of weight. As mentioned above, a tranny cooler would be a good investment.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Wow... what a helpful post. Oh, and you're.

OP, you're pushing the limits of your class 3 receiver. They're only rated for 5,000 lbs, 5,500 with a W/D hitch if I recall correctly. I'd lose the class III and look for an OEM class 4 for that kind of weight. As mentioned above, a tranny cooler would be a good investment.
YES! damn good point. you can get them online but I always used harden steel shanks.
cannot remember i think it was buyers, but there are 2" hard steel ball with 1" shank i think thats rated for 10,000 pounds.
just don't use that cheap stuff from walmart, and keep a little grease on the ball to help it turn, and it helps hooking and releasing esp, if its in a pinch.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
dougtoms01 is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic, 2/11 th FA 25th Inf Div.
dougtoms01's Tacoma Gallery
Did you read everything here, if not that would be a good place to start.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...ing-bible.html

If you're going local only 100 miles you should be good.
+1 on all the things mentioned, in my 4Runner I always tow using 4th unless I have 50 miles of good flat road.

You should only tow at about 75% of what your truck is rated for.
You should make sure your Truck GVWR is ok adding together vehicle weight, fuel, luggage, passengers and tongue weight of anything being towed.

Definitely want the tranny cooler and maintain your tranny/differential as recommended. Don't push the mileage between servicing.

I assume you have a good Prodigy Brake controller or similar.

Leave lots of room, take your time and make sure your within your equipment ratings. If you're over-loaded or using the wrong towing equipment, you can kill yourself and others. Big liability too if you're in an accident in anyway and your not legal.

Lastly, don't trust everything the RV Dealers tell you. Research it and make sure you're good to go. Check with a Hitch Installation place if necessary, they're usually pretty skilled too. Just not U-Haul :-).

Best wishes, happy camping