Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What's the difference between chrome ball and black?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
ReidStylez will become famous soon enough
Name: Reid
ReidStylez's Tacoma Gallery
What's the difference between chrome ball and black?

Like these two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0008F...9722704&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009KH...722769&sr=8-14
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Just the color which probably rubs off when you use it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
this
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X2 and I would think the chrome one would be stronger
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Quote:
Ok so black will just be bare metal when rubbed off vs rust my chrome.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Also anyone use the tri ball?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidStylez View Post
Ok so black will just be bare metal when rubbed off vs rust my chrome.
bare metal would rust. chrome wont unless it gets rubbed off. but chrome is very durable. all the ball hitches i have are chrome
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
bare metal would rust. chrome wont unless it gets rubbed off. but chrome is very durable. all the ball hitches i have are chrome
I didn't mean the chrome would rust. I meant I've seen chrome ones rusting on top because of use.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Firefighter:
Quote:
I didn't mean the chrome would rust. I meant I've seen chrome ones rusting on top because of use.
Oh, well none of mine have rusted. If you grease the ball it will be fine
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
My chrome eventually got some scratches from being used and developed rust where the scratches are.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Oh, well none of mine have rusted. If you grease the ball it will be fine
^^This. I grease my balls also (yes, I realize how that sounds). It stops squeeking and keeps them from rusting. I've always puchased chrome towing balls. The only thing I don't like about the tri-ball is the lack of drop. I'm using a ball mount with a 3.5" drop and it tows my trailer dead level. The tri-ball would be too high for most of the trailers I would ever tow.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
^^This. I grease my balls also (yes, I realize how that sounds). It stops squeeking and keeps them from rusting. I've always puchased chrome towing balls. The only thing I don't like about the tri-ball is the lack of drop. I'm using a ball mount with a 3.5" drop and it tows my trailer dead level. The tri-ball would be too high for most of the trailers I would ever tow.
Well only reason I'm looking at it is I'm grabbing a trailer to borrow and don't know what ball size I need. Plus if I ever need it later on. Now on something I own ill get the right drop.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
What's the normal drop for a hitch for a tacoma with pre runner suspension? I have a 2011
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the normal drop for a hitch for a tacoma with pre runner suspension? I have a 2011
Completely depends on the trailer. I misspoke above, I'm using a 2" drop and it seemed to work for most trailers when I was stock height. I'm now slightly lifted and could probably do with another inch of drop for the ball mount with most small trailers.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
All trailer balls will rust, whether chrome or not. The chrome will wear/flake off eventually (sooner rather than later), both will look like crap shortly. The black painted one just doesn't pretend to be something its not.

In the end, its just a trailer ball. Get the one that is more durable, or cheaper if they're equal.

I use a 3-ball for some loads. Typically long-ish or tall-ish single-axle trailers, like boat trailers. I use an adjustable drop for loads that are height sensitive. I've never had any use for the 2 5/16" ball, got the 3-ball because it was on sale cheaper than a 2-ball with 1 7/8 and 2". I plan to weld on a flange for a shackle on the 4th side.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
I just got a 3/4 drop/rise with 2" ball and free pin for $23 with chrome ball. Figured most trailers will be 2" ball.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
It's a trailer ball hitch who gives a shit if it rusts. All of them black, chrome, or purple, if you tow anything of any significance will eventually rust.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I tow every weekend, my ball isnt rusty

Products Discussed in this Thread