Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Question on towing and hauling with a 2TR 4x4

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
rjg [OP] rjg is offline
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rjg's Avatar
Name: RJ
Joined: May 2011, #56685
Location: PA
Gender: Guy
Posts: 181
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Question on towing and hauling with a 2TR 4x4

Hey all,

I listed my truck in the classifieds as a feeler, however I'd really like to keep it. The reason being is we were looking at a toy hauler/camper for our atv. This may work with our Honda Pilot but I was thinking on another route.

Has anyone towed a small fiberglass camper, say a 13' Scamp and hauled a 4x4 atv in their bed? The quad weighs 590 wet. Dry weight of the Scamp is 1200. I estimate I could be able to keep the trailer weight around 2000 with options and cargo. I guess 2600 lbs total with everything.

Has anyone done this with a trailer less aerodynamic than a pop up? My truck is a regular cab 4x4 5 speed.

Thanks for any information!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough
 
exploringcarolina's Avatar
Name: Bill
Joined: Jul 2011, #59392
Location: North Carolina
Gender: Guy
Posts: 143
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Tow a 1400lb (dry) Camplite TT with 200lbs of gear in the camper & about 400lbs of camping gear/Leer Shell/Kayaks in the back of the pickup, with a 2WD Tacoma 2.4L/5 speed. Have found I can only use 5th on level ground & downhill with the camper with best fuel economy of 16 to 17MPG @ 55MPH, so far. Use 4th mostly & stay under 60MPH in 4th.

Can tow a 1900 to 2000lb boat @ 65MPH in 5th getting 20MPG on the interstate and only had to shift to 4th on long mountain grades, so far.

The aerodynamic drag with the TT is much greater than the low profile boat, with total load hauled being about the same.

Thought about buying a new 4.6L Tundra, but decided to continue towing the TT with the Tacoma and slowing down to 55MPH or less for better fuel economy. Have a Scangauge on order to monitor and find the best speed/RPM combination for fuel economy when towing the TT. The Tundra would handle the TT easily, but I would probably get the same or higher fuel burn with the Tundra.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
rjg [OP] rjg is offline
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rjg's Avatar
Name: RJ
Joined: May 2011, #56685
Location: PA
Gender: Guy
Posts: 181
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringcarolina View Post
Tow a 1400lb (dry) Camplite TT with 200lbs of gear in the camper & about 400lbs of camping gear/Leer Shell/Kayaks in the back of the pickup, with a 2WD Tacoma 2.4L/5 speed. Have found I can only use 5th on level ground & downhill with the camper with best fuel economy of 16 to 17MPG @ 55MPH, so far. Use 4th mostly & stay under 60MPH in 4th.

Can tow a 1900 to 2000lb boat @ 65MPH in 5th getting 20MPG on the interstate and only had to shift to 4th on long mountain grades, so far.

The aerodynamic drag with the TT is much greater than the low profile boat, with total load hauled being about the same.

Thought about buying a new 4.6L Tundra, but decided to continue towing the TT with the Tacoma and slowing down to 55MPH or less for better fuel economy. Have a Scangauge on order to monitor and find the best speed/RPM combination for fuel economy when towing the TT. The Tundra would handle the TT easily, but I would probably get the same or higher fuel burn with the Tundra.

Thanks for the information. Do you have electric brakes on the trailer?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough
 
exploringcarolina's Avatar
Name: Bill
Joined: Jul 2011, #59392
Location: North Carolina
Gender: Guy
Posts: 143
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg View Post
Thanks for the information. Do you have electric brakes on the trailer?
Have electric brakes on the CampLite TT with controller in cab and no brakes on the boat trailer. The Tacoma handles both easily with good stopping power.



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
rjg [OP] rjg is offline
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rjg's Avatar
Name: RJ
Joined: May 2011, #56685
Location: PA
Gender: Guy
Posts: 181
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Banned
The Phoenix is on a distinguished road
Name: Rocky
Joined: Oct 2012, #89306
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
The Phoenix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg View Post
Hey all,

I listed my truck in the classifieds as a feeler, however I'd really like to keep it. The reason being is we were looking at a toy hauler/camper for our atv. This may work with our Honda Pilot but I was thinking on another route.

Has anyone towed a small fiberglass camper, say a 13' Scamp and hauled a 4x4 atv in their bed? The quad weighs 590 wet. Dry weight of the Scamp is 1200. I estimate I could be able to keep the trailer weight around 2000 with options and cargo. I guess 2600 lbs total with everything.

Has anyone done this with a trailer less aerodynamic than a pop up? My truck is a regular cab 4x4 5 speed.

Thanks for any information!
You have NOTHING to worry about. I flat towed a 3500 pound SUV a couple of weeks ago. The only "hairy" part of that procedure was that flat towing means zero tongue weight, so it really wanted to push out the ass-end of the truck when coming around corners. Talk about oversteer!!!

Went with flat towing only because the SUV had an integrated hitch for the tow bar that slipped into my 2" receiver. Any further car towing though, I think I'll switch back to the flatbed. Much more relaxing tow, even if it puts more work on the truck.

I would say with trailer weight at or under 2000 pounds, you shouldn't need any kind of brakes. Just leave yourself a little more room to slow down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
rjg [OP] rjg is offline
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rjg's Avatar
Name: RJ
Joined: May 2011, #56685
Location: PA
Gender: Guy
Posts: 181
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
You have NOTHING to worry about. I flat towed a 3500 pound SUV a couple of weeks ago. The only "hairy" part of that procedure was that flat towing means zero tongue weight, so it really wanted to push out the ass-end of the truck when coming around corners. Talk about oversteer!!!

Went with flat towing only because the SUV had an integrated hitch for the tow bar that slipped into my 2" receiver. Any further car towing though, I think I'll switch back to the flatbed. Much more relaxing tow, even if it puts more work on the truck.

I would say with trailer weight at or under 2000 pounds, you shouldn't need any kind of brakes. Just leave yourself a little more room to slow down.
That's a little scary! If the trailer has brakes, I'll hook them up.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed Air Lift helper bags on my X-Runner for towing/hauling mortifer Suspension 1 06-07-2013 03:02 PM
Any one have airbags for towing / hauling? Johns Taco Suspension 24 02-03-2012 09:17 AM
Towing question - 2010 without towing package... Earle 2nd Gen. Tacomas 11 09-28-2011 06:50 PM
Suspension upgrade for hauling question utmck Suspension 3 12-12-2010 07:41 AM
Hauling question Scottdl99 Towing 2 10-30-2009 07:01 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.