Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What is the upper limit of transmission fluid temperature?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis92 View Post
How much time and money invested in that setup?

Nicely done I think. Could be a good project before the temps get up here.

I guess I just wonder why Toyota doesn't have stock sensors. Or I guess I wonder what would trip the tranny temp dummy light....why not send that to an SG or Ultragauge?
The 2 compression fittings with the T fitting cost me about $50, they are all stainless. I got them from granger, they were the only place in town that could get me the 10mm compression fittings. The gauge with sender can be found at oriely's for about $60 otd. The gauge pod was about $75 shipped

To install the sender takes less then an hour, then run power, groung and signal to the gauge.

I also run a water temp gauge (3337), and its the same setup, except u need 5/8" barbed fittings into the heater hose, sine it already has a union from the factory so there was no cutting for that one.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #22
Whiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyjack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
Whiskeyjack's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my '06 Prerunner I bought a ScanGauge specifically to monitor my transmission temperature, just because I couldn't check fluid condition on the dip stick. I towed a 3700 lb. Travel trailer and the Prerunner saw 225 degrees or so lots when climbing or during stop and go. Regular running trans temp was 180 to 190 for me.

I got a great deal on a new Tundra and kinda sadly traded in the Prerunner. I moved the S/G to the Tundra and get just about the same trans temp readings under the same conditions. The Tundra has a trans temp gauge in the dash. At 225 degrees on the S/G the pointer on the dash gauge doesn't move at all above mid range. Some guys on the Tundra bulletin boards say that it won't even start to go up until 250 to 260 degrees. I don't know how dependable their advice is. It's also stated that Yota WS trans fluid is a synthetic or semi-synthetic fluid and is designed to run at higher temperatures.

I've also read that the S/G temperature pickup for the Tundra is before the fluid goes through the cooler--the reason that the tremperature varies so quickly. Many trucks that always get low temp readings have their temperature pickup after the fluid exits the cooler. This is all info I've just read, so take if for what it's worth.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #23
silver streaker is on a distinguished road
Name: Casey
silver streaker's Tacoma Gallery
anyone ever find a factory temp threshold?
Looking to do some towing and would like to know ahead of time
Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #24
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meat Popsicle
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery

I did not find this, but I did find it extremely helpful to explain how each temp will effect the life of the transmission fluid. The fluid is the life of the transmission, if it goes bad you are SOL.