1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the upper limit of transmission fluid temperature?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by J Gibson, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    The 2 compression fittings with the T fitting cost me about $50, they are all stainless. I got them from granger, they were the only place in town that could get me the 10mm compression fittings. The gauge with sender can be found at oriely's for about $60 otd. The gauge pod was about $75 shipped

To install the sender takes less then an hour, then run power, groung and signal to the gauge.

I also run a water temp gauge (3337), and its the same setup, except u need 5/8" barbed fittings into the heater hose, sine it already has a union from the factory so there was no cutting for that one.

2. Mar 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '21 ORDC Cement
    When I had my '06 Prerunner I bought a ScanGauge specifically to monitor my transmission temperature, just because I couldn't check fluid condition on the dip stick. I towed a 3700 lb. Travel trailer and the Prerunner saw 225 degrees or so lots when climbing or during stop and go. Regular running trans temp was 180 to 190 for me.

I got a great deal on a new Tundra and kinda sadly traded in the Prerunner. I moved the S/G to the Tundra and get just about the same trans temp readings under the same conditions. The Tundra has a trans temp gauge in the dash. At 225 degrees on the S/G the pointer on the dash gauge doesn't move at all above mid range. Some guys on the Tundra bulletin boards say that it won't even start to go up until 250 to 260 degrees. I don't know how dependable their advice is. It's also stated that Yota WS trans fluid is a synthetic or semi-synthetic fluid and is designed to run at higher temperatures.

I've also read that the S/G temperature pickup for the Tundra is before the fluid goes through the cooler--the reason that the tremperature varies so quickly. Many trucks that always get low temp readings have their temperature pickup after the fluid exits the cooler. This is all info I've just read, so take if for what it's worth.

3. Jun 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    silver streaker

silver streaker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 prerunner
    k&n cold air intake, flowmaster catback, 8000K hid heads and fogs, red interior LEDs, westin bullbar, trd floormats, TRD radiator cap, TRD seat covers, plasti dipped rims.
    anyone ever find a factory temp threshold?
    Looking to do some towing and would like to know ahead of time

4. Jun 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    [​IMG]

I did not find this, but I did find it extremely helpful to explain how each temp will effect the life of the transmission fluid. The fluid is the life of the transmission, if it goes bad you are SOL.

5. Jun 6, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    ttubb

ttubb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Tucson/Crested Butte
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road 4WD
  6. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    brettnelson

brettnelson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brett
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma V6 4x4 auto access cab
    not ALL trd off-roads come with external cooler. How do I know? cuz I have one without :)

7. Oct 24, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    In the process of setting up a new motorcycle trailer. Attached is a pic of the truck and trailer.

Trying to determine the effects/impacts of the trailer on the truck temperatures. Initial observations are…

Without trailer at speeds of 45-60 mph – coolant temp runs 189-193– trans temp runs 130-175.

With empty trailer at speeds of 45-60 mph – coolant temp runs 189-193 – trans temp runs 165-215.

No runs with a load yet, nor any runs in the mountains yet.

Some thoughts:

According to the scan gauge II, trans temps fluctuate significantly compared to coolant temps.

Trans temps can rise rapidly and dramatically (40 degrees in 10 seconds).

Hills (both up & down) raise the trans temp significantly.

At 215ish max temp, do not need an oil cooler (so far).

trailer 2.jpg

8. Oct 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    ttubb

ttubb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Tucson/Crested Butte
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road 4WD
    If you have the tow package, you have the cooler plus larger alternator. :D

9. Oct 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    I pull a lot with my 4000# trailer and sometimes with my dirt bike in the truck bed. I have climbed a lot of big hills and in high temps. The trans temp has never gone higher than 225 even climbing an 7-8% grade for 10 miles. It will stay hot until I stop climbing then it cools very quickly back to 165-185. The engine temp has never gone above 198. The trans temp sensor on the taco is on the output from the trans to the cooling system. When the torque converter kicks in during a 4th or 5th kick down the trans will heat up real fast then cool right back down. I consider this all normal. I towed over 5000 miles this summer without a problem.

The Taco manual says to change the trans fluid every 100K mile or if you are towing to do it at 50k. I change mine every 30K miles and it is discolored but still has some red tint to it. Another part that a lot of people forget about is the rear-end. That fluid can break down as well in the LSD rear. The manual says if you are towing to change that every 15K, I stick to this on the mileage. I did use the Lucus full syn fluid in the rear and it started to chatter in about 8K miles so I went back to the regular diff fluid and have had no problems.

If you service the truck correctly for towing it will serve you well. Remember that towing is hard on any vehicle and things will break even if you do everything right.

10. Oct 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    You also have an engine oil cooler , the fan clutch has a different temp rating as well as different pitch to the blades.

Products Discussed in

To Top