Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What is the upper limit of transmission fluid temperature?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
J Gibson is on a distinguished road

Navy: Hospital Corpsman, 4th MarDiv
Name: J
J Gibson's Tacoma Gallery
Question What is the upper limit of transmission fluid temperature?

Does anyone know at what temperature the transmission fluid becomes dangerously hot? How long can it remain at that temperture before damage occurs?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
If I saw 250F I would pull over and let it cool.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Normal can run between 180* and 200*. Over 300* can be bad, with parts beginning to break at 350*
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
and if your checking it and its not bright red, that could indicate that its gotten too hot, and maybe you should look into changing it.
I am not a expert with auto trans, but this is what I have always been told.
a good synthetic brand of fluid has a higher heat point but, but its best to never test any fluid on their heat range, for your trans sake.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
and if your checking it and its not bright red, that could indicate that its gotten too hot, and maybe you should look into changing it.
I am not a expert with auto trans, but this is what I have always been told.
a good synthetic brand of fluid has a higher heat point but, but its best to never test any fluid on their heat range, for your trans sake.
The fluid breaking down due to heat is not as much the problem, as the parts breaking due to heat. Most all fluids wont break down until over 500*. many parts in the valve body can break at a much lower temps.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The fluid breaking down due to heat is not as much the problem, as the parts breaking due to heat. Most all fluids wont break down until over 500*. many parts in the valve body can break at a much lower temps.

actually that is the problem, when it gets too hot it looses its viscosity, and the damage can happen very fast.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
wow, I would just never have thought about that. wow.
and nothing about it becoming discolored?
if it changes from Red to brown, it could mean it was over heated, but in most cases, in a propperly operating vehicle, it means its getting time to change it. just like engine oil, part of the tranny fluids job is to keep suspended particles that could cause damage/wear.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #9

that's right, but with towing, (and the fact the op seems to have a 2012 truck) you would check the fluids before towing on a trip, and if you stop and there is now discoloring that would be a cause for alarm.

and if she does run warm, try to pull over, and let it rest, if possible let her idle, and keep the coolant flowing.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
that's right, but with towing, (and the fact the op seems to have a 2012 truck) you would check the fluids before towing on a trip, and if you stop and there is now discoloring that would be a cause for alarm.

and if she does run warm, try to pull over, and let it rest, if possible let her idle, and keep the coolant flowing.
The second gens dont have a dip stick to check the tranny fluid with. However, the fluid also runs thru the lower part of the radiator, so if the Engine temp is in the good range, all should be fine with the tranny. There is an tranny over heat light (Ive heard) on the newer trucks, but I have also heard that if it iluminates, the damage has already been done.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The second gens dont have a dip stick to check the tranny fluid with. However, the fluid also runs thru the lower part of the radiator, so if the Engine temp is in the good range, all should be fine with the tranny. There is an tranny over heat light (Ive heard) on the newer trucks, but I have also heard that if it iluminates, the damage has already been done.
well that's strange. how is a owner supposed to check the fluid level?
and I am aware of that also, esp since Nissan owners are finding out the hard way that this might not be a good setup.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, truthfully as long as you are not overheating all should be good because the fastest way to cool down fluid is by water (hence the reason why it flows through the radiator) but also all TRD off road and sport packages come with an additional tranny cooler aside from the radiator cooler support to promote further cooling of the transmission especially during those extensive towing sessions.

In all reality I wouldn't even worry about it as long as you perform your routine maintenance and keep all items in good working order.

PS: No tranny dipstick is bullshit 'Yota.. That is all. Anytime I hear "lifetime fluid" from any manufacturer which is becoming increasingly common in some sort of attempt to make them look more impressive, I put my finger in the air and feel which way the bullshits blowing.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
J Gibson is on a distinguished road

Navy: Hospital Corpsman, 4th MarDiv
Name: J
J Gibson's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:

You're right, I do have a 2012, but the fact that it has a "sealed" transmission and no dipstick for it, watching fluid color is not an option. I would also be concerned that if I got the fluid so hot that it truly broke down, lost viscosity, changed colors, or whatever, it would be too late and damage to transmission will already have occurred. Thus, I have a scangauge which tells me the fluid temp, just need to know what point I need to get concerned.

I guess I will try to use the poster aboves guideline of 210-220 and ohh shit at 260, but those temps seem pretty low. I haven't towed since getting the gauge, but I got the temp up close to the 200 range going across the "mountains" in NC on I-40 with no trailer.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Navy: Radioman Petty Officer Second Class
jdavis92's Tacoma Gallery
How is everyone keeping an eye on their tranny temps?

I am thinking of putting some gauges on the pillar to monitor it.

Is there an overriding assumption that the tranny temps are close to the coolant/engine temps if you have the factory tow package and supplemental tranny cooler?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis92 View Post
How is everyone keeping an eye on their tranny temps?

I am thinking of putting some gauges on the pillar to monitor it.

Is there an overriding assumption that the tranny temps are close to the coolant/engine temps if you have the factory tow package and supplemental tranny cooler?
I don't believe the manual transmissions have the sensor to monitor the temps, but the autos can use a scangauge, ultragauge, etc...
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
Yeah, truthfully as long as you are not overheating all should be good because the fastest way to cool down fluid is by water (hence the reason why it flows through the radiator) but also all TRD off road and sport packages come with an additional tranny cooler aside from the radiator cooler support to promote further cooling of the transmission especially during those extensive towing sessions.

In all reality I wouldn't even worry about it as long as you perform your routine maintenance and keep all items in good working order.

PS: No tranny dipstick is bullshit 'Yota.. That is all. Anytime I hear "lifetime fluid" from any manufacturer which is becoming increasingly common in some sort of attempt to make them look more impressive, I put my finger in the air and feel which way the bullshits blowing.
I thought the tow package, which is where the tranny cooler comes from, is a stand alone add not automatically included with every TRD.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I don't believe the manual transmissions have the sensor to monitor the temps, but the autos can use a scangauge, ultragauge, etc...
Nope. At least not on a 2005 SR5 w/towing package.

I have an Ultraguage and tranny temp is not an option on my truck. So I was looking at some aftermarket gauges that folks are mounting on pillars and I was wondering where they are getting the temp feed from.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
This is the write-up I followed: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...865#post967865

works very well. I have an auto meter sport comp 3357 gauge. I just put in a piller pod by Lotek.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Typical ATF has a flash point of 315-325 Degrees.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
This is the write-up I followed: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...865#post967865

works very well. I have an auto meter sport comp 3357 gauge. I just put in a piller pod by Lotek.
How much time and money invested in that setup?

Nicely done I think. Could be a good project before the temps get up here.

I guess I just wonder why Toyota doesn't have stock sensors. Or I guess I wonder what would trip the tranny temp dummy light....why not send that to an SG or Ultragauge?