Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Frequent towing an issue for 2nd Gen?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
aCab is on a distinguished road
aCab's Tacoma Gallery
Frequent towing an issue for 2nd Gen?

Mods - didn't realize there was a towing subforum. This is a dulicate post from the 2nd gen forum - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ing-issue.html

Hi All,

I'm currently thinking of selling my 99' F250 w/ 7.3 Diesel to buy a 2nd Gen Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed. I bought the F250 on a whim as a tow rig and have loved it - but I recently lost my company car and need to condense daily driver duties and towing duties into one vehicle. Last year, I put 20k miles on the truck, with about 15k of those towing my racecar on an open trailer.

The car weighs 2600ish lbs, the trailer 1600lbs - figure 4200 lbs there. I know the V6 trucks with factory towing package can town 6500 lbs, but with what frequency?

Most towing trips are withing 400 miles one way, but the occasional trip is over 1000 miles one way - through some mountains, etc.

I want to be sure that the Tacoma can withstand being used to tow for 1/2 of its lifetime. Say I drive 30k miles a year but 15k of that is towing 4200 lbs.

Anyone done it? Anyone against it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

aCab
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The towing section doesn't see many visitors. You were way better off in the 2nd gen forum. Since pretty much everyone is in there haha.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
I would not want to do that kind of towing duty with my Tacoma. It does fine towing occasionally, or even a lighter load more often, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable subjecting the truck to that kind of stress consistently. I know my truck feels like it's working hard even when towing 3,000-4,000 lbs, which is occasionally. IMO, you're better off going full-size (which doesn't get you much, if any, worse gas mileage unloaded than a Tacoma anymore anyways, and probably better while towing).
Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
I tow with my 06 taco 100% of the time, this what a truck is for! I'm towing a 4,000lb travel trailer. I added custom towing mirrors ,electric power extend/retract(powervisionmirrors.com from a 98 chevy), brake controller, and a WDH w/800lb bars. The truck is all stock with a tow package and has 111,000 miles with no problems. My travel trailer is a HI-LO and I get 14mpg.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I could suggest if you want to tow a lot is to get some airbags, it saves the rear leafs
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
defiantly need a trans cooler with fan. I just bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
F-125Racer is on a distinguished road

F-125Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Search for the thread "6 Cylinder Towing Review". Here, I'll just bump it for you....
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
aCab is on a distinguished road
aCab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-125Racer View Post
Search for the thread "6 Cylinder Towing Review". Here, I'll just bump it for you....

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
defiantly need a trans cooler with fan. I just bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
The factory tow package comes with a trans cooler. Though an aftermarket one wouldn't hurt, I have yet to ever see my tranny light come on saying it's getting too hot (who know's if the light even works )
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
a89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the sheda89aries is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
a89aries's Tacoma Gallery
Only issues i've had was a ujoint go bad at 88k miles.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
The factory tow package comes with a trans cooler. Though an aftermarket one wouldn't hurt, I have yet to ever see my tranny light come on saying it's getting too hot (who know's if the light even works )
Mine has hit 210 really easy with factory on a 70 degree day, now doesnt go above 180
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Techno Duck is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
Techno Duck's Tacoma Gallery
Regarding the factory trans cooler, i would consider relocating it a little higher up if you do any serious towing. In its factory location, ii would say 90% of it is covered by the bottom portion of the grill wit just 1 or 2 rows of the core sticking up past it in the airflow.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
As with any other truck... When properly equipped, you can tow up to capacity 100% of the time. You will have to increace the frequency of inspections, fluid changes, and brake replacements. It will vary by how hard you are on the pedals, and what climate you live in.

Products Discussed in this Thread