Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Newby Saying Hello & a Question

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Hermes is on a distinguished road
Hermes's Tacoma Gallery
Newby Saying Hello & a Question

Just signed up on this forum after lurking a while and wanted to say hi and looks like a good forum. I do not yet have a Tacoma, but seriously considering one. My question concerns towing, first the details. I live in Phoenix and tow an Aliner Expedition which is 18' and weighs 2078 pounds (per CAT scale) empty except with 2-full tanks of propane and a couple gallons of water on board. The gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 3500 lbs. but it never sees more than 2500 lbs loaded for a camping trip. I have no question a Tacoma can tow my trailer as it falls well within the tow capacity of a Tacoma with tow package, but want to know if I can expect to tow it up mountain grades in the 5-7% range in 100 plus temps with the AC on? I am asking because I currently have a 98 Jeep Cherokee (also a 6-cyl & with a 5K tow capacity) it has the giddy-up to tow it up steep grades, but unless I turn off the AC and keep the speed to 45mph, it tends to overheat. Considering the cost, I want to make sure before buying. Thanks, for considering my question.

Regards, Bruce
Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Just signed up on this forum after lurking a while and wanted to say hi and looks like a good forum. I do not yet have a Tacoma, but seriously considering one. My question concerns towing, first the details. I live in Phoenix and tow an Aliner Expedition which is 18' and weighs 2078 pounds (per CAT scale) empty except with 2-full tanks of propane and a couple gallons of water on board. The gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 3500 lbs. but it never sees more than 2500 lbs loaded for a camping trip. I have no question a Tacoma can tow my trailer as it falls well within the tow capacity of a Tacoma with tow package, but want to know if I can expect to tow it up mountain grades in the 5-7% range in 100 plus temps with the AC on? I am asking because I currently have a 98 Jeep Cherokee (also a 6-cyl & with a 5K tow capacity) it has the giddy-up to tow it up steep grades, but unless I turn off the AC and keep the speed to 45mph, it tends to overheat. Considering the cost, I want to make sure before buying. Thanks, for considering my question.

Regards, Bruce
I tow a 4,000lb trailer with my A/C on all of the time. Just make sure you get a taco with the tow package (trans cooler,oil cooler)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure to upgrade the tranny cooler to a bigger one with a fan. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I put in a temp gauge for the tranny and it got to 210 on a short 5% hill pulling my jeep on a trailer (prob just under 5k) on a 70* day and that day it sat at 190* on the freeway. Its all way too hot, if you want the tranny to last at all.

With that^^ cooler I have yet to see above 180* and that was torque converter unlocked in 3rd doing up to 40 mph up a 6-8% grade for a couple miles.

I copied this guy on the temp gauge: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...865#post967865
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ht=tranny+temp

I used an autometer cause it was less then $100 and it matches the stock gauges.

I have some pics of my install and a list of parts and brackets I used, let me know if you want those.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Hermes is on a distinguished road
Hermes's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the replies, this helps.

Products Discussed in this Thread