Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

4 Cyl PreRunner Towing

Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
4 Cyl PreRunner Towing

Does anyone have experience towing with the 4 cyl PRE RUNNER, with a class 3 hitch? I would think the towing capacity should increase some due to the beefier brakes up front, although there is no replacement for HP. I would really appreciate some incite to this, I am looking to install a hitch fairly soon and tow between 2750-3750 pounds. All of the towing will be highway miles, with a 5 Speed Manual.

Thanks ahead of time for the response!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
that honestly sounds like too much weight for a 4 banger. ive seen dudes tow a jet ski and alos seen dirt bikes, but now your talking bout towing a full sized car. and if ti would tow, you would need some tranny cooler and boost in the engine. good luck.

oh, and search button is your friend

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...-4-banger.html
Old 01-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I Appreciate the information! Although I did already search the 4 cyl towing threads, and did not find any specific to my application, the 5 spd manual. From my experience I don't believe a trans cooler will do much of anything for a manual trans, as they do not generate anywhere near the heat that an automatic does via the torque converter.

I am thinking this is going to be a little too much for the 4 cyl, but I want to see what others have to say and hopefully hear from someone running the 4 cyl prerunner w/ a 5spd manual trans.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
jrsmokestacks is on a distinguished road

jrsmokestacks's Tacoma Gallery
Towing wise there is no difference in towing between a prerunner and 4x4. You will Not have any problem towing that weight. Brakes are amazing on the 4cyl. Heres some pics of what I tow.

3,500lbs.

4,000lbs.

Over 4,000lbs., not sure of actual weight

2500lbs.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah the weight load on the 4 cyl all depends. like someone said in the previous post,that sounds like alot of weight being added onto the 4cyl. but a tranny cooler, and additional oil cooler might help somewhat. the max tongue load for the 4cyl tacoma should be rated at 3,500 pounds. anytthing over, i would assume could add alot of stress to the engine and driveshaft
Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
My 4cyl 4x4 can't get out of it's own way empty in 1st gear. There is no way I would want to tow 3000 lbs with it. The Prerunner is lighter and can probably tow more. As far as adding a trans cooler, I don't believe there is anywhere on the manual to add the cooler lines. I could be wrong about that though.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #7

Manuals dont need coolers, neither does you engine oil.

Towing with a 4cyl is much different than with a 6 or 8. With the 4 dont be afraid to shift at 4,000+ rpm. 4cyl's make lots of noise but dont let that make you think it killing the engine. All my 4's have a ton of hauling miles and they never broke once.

2001 Tacoma: 165,000 miles
2004 Tacoma: 157,000 miles
2008 Tacoma: 31,000 miles
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmokestacks View Post
Manuals dont need coolers, neither does you engine oil.

Towing with a 4cyl is much different than with a 6 or 8. With the 4 dont be afraid to shift at 4,000+ rpm. 4cyl's make lots of noise but dont let that make you think it killing the engine. All my 4's have a ton of hauling miles and they never broke once.

2001 Tacoma: 165,000 miles
2004 Tacoma: 157,000 miles
2008 Tacoma: 31,000 miles

Are you running in 4th or 5th gear on the highway, and at what speeds(highway) do you usually haul your enclosed trailer at? I wouldn't be doing this very often but if i can pull it off, this will save me from having to buy another truck or trade this one in.

Thanks to everyone for the input and pictures!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #9

4th gear at 65. At this speed you can downshift to 3rd and hold 60mph on hills. Try it once, if your not liking how it handles, you can always upgrade the rear springs as that is the only weakness on these trucks.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
jofish3 is on a distinguished road
jofish3's Tacoma Gallery
i pull a enclosed trailer its a 4x6 with two tool boxes that all togather wieghs about 2800 pounds and have no probley at all on highways or back streets or hill.the only dame thing is it saggs in the ass end looking for the best and cheapest why to fix that now.but dont be scared to pull anything within the means of the truck it wiil do it
Old 05-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
My 4cyl 4x4 can't get out of it's own way empty in 1st gear. There is no way I would want to tow 3000 lbs with it.
You really need to learn how, and when to shift if this is the case.........
Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
You really need to learn how, and when to shift if this is the case.........
I've been driving manual transmissions since 1983. A 4000 pound truck with a 159 hp is never going to be fast no matter what transmission is in it. I knew this when I bought it and accepted that fact. All I'm saying is, I would not want to tow a heavy load with this truck. That's what full size V8 trucks are for. JMO.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
bpurdy is on a distinguished road

Name: Bobby
bpurdy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Does anyone have experience towing with the 4 cyl PRE RUNNER, with a class 3 hitch? I would think the towing capacity should increase some due to the beefier brakes up front, although there is no replacement for HP. I would really appreciate some incite to this, I am looking to install a hitch fairly soon and tow between 2750-3750 pounds. All of the towing will be highway miles, with a 5 Speed Manual.

Thanks ahead of time for the response!
I realize I'm probably late with this response, but you should have no problem towing that much with a 2.7 5speed tacoma. Everyday I tow 3500lbs with mine for my lawn service and then a few times a year I tow my grandpa's skidsteer which weighs 7000lbs plus a 2500lbs trailer, almost 10,000. That's a bit much but it still does it. Ill try and put some pics up.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
ne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erick Iglesias
ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurdy View Post
I realize I'm probably late with this response, but you should have no problem towing that much with a 2.7 5speed tacoma. Everyday I tow 3500lbs with mine for my lawn service and then a few times a year I tow my grandpa's skidsteer which weighs 7000lbs plus a 2500lbs trailer, almost 10,000. That's a bit much but it still does it. Ill try and put some pics up.
no way
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #15

bpurdy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0tas View Post
no way
As we say in Proctor mn, Shit Yeah Bubba.

Not sure If I can get the pic to post, PM me or something and I'll email it too you. Im not saying I tow 10,000lbs on a regular basis, but my truck does it a couple times a year. I regularly tow 4000lbs in the spring summer and fall for my business so I have gotton to know my truck well in what it can and cant do. I know it couldnt tow 10,000 up a steep hill, but through the rolling hills of wisconsin, it seems to do fine.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Not sure If I can get the pic to post, PM me or something and I'll email it too you. Im not saying I tow 10,000lbs on a regular basis, but my truck does it a couple times a year. I regularly tow 4000lbs in the spring summer and fall for my business so I have gotton to know my truck well in what it can and cant do. I know it couldnt tow 10,000 up a steep hill, but through the rolling hills of wisconsin, it seems to do fine.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma12 View Post
What can i tow with a V6 auto 4x4 with the tow package and trd off road pkg.? Just askin' im new to the off-road game but i've got the fever... the fever for more off-roadin'
you can tow anything they are talking about towing. no worries there.
10000 is pushing the limit though, jmo.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

PLEASE post some pics!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #19

bpurdy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
PLEASE post some pics!
Check out this attachment, cant upload the pic, this link should show you what you need to see 4 Cyl PreRunner Towing-tts.jpg
Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check out this attachment, cant upload the pic, this link should show you what you need to see Attachment 140193
I'm impressed. And here I was worried about pulling an 8x16 at 4500-5000lbs
with my V-6!