Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing Question

Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
Towing Question

I'm getting ready to tow a 75 Corvette on a regular single car hauler. My question is, is it ok to load the bed with my YZ450 and some gear while I'm towing the car? The total weight in the bed should be about 400-450 pounds and I'm driving approximately 1,000 miles. Does this have any kind of negative effect or overload the rear end/ suspension of my truck? My Tacoma is a 2011 double cab longbed 4x4. This is probably a no brainer but I just want to make sure it is ok.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do it, not for 1000 miles. I might do it for 20 miles though.
Keep in mind that everything you put in the truck, all your gear, your dirtbike, yourself, and the tounge weight of the trailer have to stay under the GVWR.
I imagine the Vette and trailer together are under 6500 lb rating of a tow package equipped Tacoma. You do have a tow package with the transmission cooler and a brake controller among other things right? I have air bags on my Tacoma and have towed my 19 foot travel trailer with my XR650L in the bed sucessfully but I only had to drive an hour with no big hills.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

The Vette is about 3,600 pounds and I have no idea how much the trailer weighs. It can't be too heavy though. I'll be hauling from Indianapolis, IN to Tallahassee, FL.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
I would do it. sure you're going to know its back there but just do the speed limit or a little under and stop every few hours and let the truck get a breather.

if you dont have a trans cooler it wont be the end of the world, because its not like your doing this every day for a year, once or twice isnt going to blow it up.

all just my opinions, ill probably get flammed because i would do it without hesitation

drive safe
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #5

I guess I should have mentioned my truck has the factory tow package so I have the extra oil cooler and the transmission cooler.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
just leave plenty of room in front of you in case you need to stop fast.ive towed about that much weight but the brakes on these trucks are pityful.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine but you will need and recommend a trailer brake controller. I have the same truck as you with tow package. The truck has a plug in the drivers side kick panel that you hook up to with the pigtail in the glove box. Using the truck brakes only for all this for that distance is not a good idea without one.

Brake controllers range in price from cheap to expensive, I personally use a name brand one with a thumb adj for brake force and have towed alot of heavy shit with no problem. Example 2,500 lb. tilt dual axle trailer with 2 squares of 8in mason block along with another 25 block in the bed. Same trailer with a John Deer tractor with front loader and pto rotortiller attachment (over 8,000 lbs.)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
id do it without hesitation as well.
sounds fine to me
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. I figured I would be ok but I know that is some serious weight for the bed when you're towing.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

I ended up not taking the bike and towed just the car. The truck worked great and sagged a little bit. I only felt it bottom once the whole trip.