Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

towing with tailgate down??

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
towing with tailgate down??

So I have to tow a trailer fully loaded cross country. Problem is itts loaded and my gsxr has to go in my bed. I have two choices take the tailgate off and have the bike hang out (not comfortable with that) or try to tow with the tail gate down. I have not hooked up to the trailer to see how bad it kills my turning. I would assume if I turned tight with the uhaul my tailgate would hit it. Has anyone towed with a tailgate down
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j83soldier View Post
So I have to tow a trailer fully loaded cross country. Problem is itts loaded and my gsxr has to go in my bed. I have two choices take the tailgate off and have the bike hang out (not comfortable with that) or try to tow with the tail gate down. I have not hooked up to the trailer to see how bad it kills my turning. I would assume if I turned tight with the uhaul my tailgate would hit it. Has anyone towed with a tailgate down
Towed with tailgate down just once in my driving history. New tailgate was a result. My recommendation is to angle your bike and see if you can get it in with it shut angled.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post
Towed with tailgate down just once in my driving history. New tailgate was a result. My recommendation is to angle your bike and see if you can get it in with it shut angled.
That is what I was worried about thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Yup.
Angle the bike, remove the front wheel & fender, etc...

Tailgate down risks the trailer hitting it on turns (driveways especially), and you'll have a hell of a time just getting hooked up. The gate will probably be right up against the trailer's tongue jack.

If you remove the bike's front wheel, slip a spacer (as thick as the rotors) into the calipers, tie it in place, and zip-tie the front brake down to protect your pads and pistons.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Sell said GSXR. Buy one at new location.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
Get a long bed.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Sell said GSXR. Buy one at new location.
seems legit
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't tow with the tailgate down, especially with the Uhaul because of the surge brake assembly that sits on top of the trailer tongue. A tight turn or a sharp dip in the road could kill your tailgate and leave you repairing the trailer.

My old man had a similar issue with his travel trailer and came up with a good solution. He took a piece of plywood, made it the length required to support the bike and slid it into the truck. It turned out it only overhung the bed by 4-5 inches so he cut a few piece of wood to fit between the bottom of the plywood and the bumper step to support the plywood and just removes the tailgate. That way your tailgate doesn't get damaged, the rear tire of the motorcycle is supported and you don't have to take any additional parts off the bike. You can screw a couple tire guides directly to the plywood so there's no chance of it shifting side to side either.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
I was about to suggest something similar to Pugga. Remove the tailgate if necessary. U-channel, heavy planks, anything as long as it supports wheel.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
it all depends on the trailer if you can drive with the tailgate down or not.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I tow my boat with the tailgate down, never had a problem. The trailer is pretty long, so no contact problems. I like to keep the tailgate down so I can back up easier, I like to look out the back window instead of using the mirrors.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
I tow my boat with the tailgate down, never had a problem. The trailer is pretty long, so no contact problems. I like to keep the tailgate down so I can back up easier, I like to look out the back window instead of using the mirrors.
True; but boats and cargo trailers are different designs. Boats tend to have longer tongues than most cargo trailers.