Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing a T100 behind my Tacoma??

Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
nut,

Rig up separate rear lights (not the T-100s) using a 30' long trailer wiring harness and two rear lamps. It will plug right into your Tacoma plug.

I bought a magnetic mount that I can remove or install quickly. It has the rear lights and harness already put together. It is similar to what a tow company sticks on when they tow in a vehicle.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #22
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
nut,

Rig up separate rear lights (not the T-100s) using a 30' long trailer wiring harness and two rear lamps. It will plug right into your Tacoma plug.

I bought a magnetic mount that I can remove or install quickly. It has the rear lights and harness already put together. It is similar to what a tow company sticks on when they tow in a vehicle.
Ive seen those at walmart and harbor freight. reviews on the magnets havent been very good. Im sure i could work something out
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Like other have suggested I would prefer having the vehicle on a trailer with at least brakes on one trailer axle. I know you plan on driving smart but what about the idiot thats not paying attention pulls out or something and you need to stop in a hurry. Even a tow dolly with brakes would help. I just like a trailer because drive the vehicle on it secure it and be gone. No removing anything. just my .02
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I made a light bar when I needed it...a piece of 1/4" x6" x6' steel plate, trailer light kit from TSC,and the trailer light kit had the two lights and a enough wire to make a harness to the trailer socket. The kit even included the flat four plug:-). Some change and "S" hooks to hang off the tailgate or bumper and you got a light bar.

Think long and hard on how you plan to connect the tow bar to the vehicle being towed. This needs to be a structural connection with the ability to pivot up and down in a parallel fashion, and absorb both the towing load AND braking load without excessive play.

That is why I custom made a plate at attached to 60's era dodge truck bumpers using the bumper mount bolts. I had probably 20 hours of welding and machining time into the attachment plate. Don't forget safety chains.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I made a light bar when I needed it...a piece of 1/4" x6" x6' steel plate, trailer light kit from TSC,and the trailer light kit had the two lights and a enough wire to make a harness to the trailer socket. The kit even included the flat four plug:-). Some change and "S" hooks to hang off the tailgate or bumper and you got a light bar.

Think long and hard on how you plan to connect the tow bar to the vehicle being towed. This needs to be a structural connection with the ability to pivot up and down in a parallel fashion, and absorb both the towing load AND braking load without excessive play.

That is why I custom made a plate at attached to 60's era dodge truck bumpers using the bumper mount bolts. I had probably 20 hours of welding and machining time into the attachment plate. Don't forget safety chains.
Sweet, thanks for the info. Yeah I found a couple good bars on CL for under $100 ($500+ when new). Nearest TSC is a ways away, I'll look into kits and see what I can rig up. I'm not hauling the truck till the end of march so I have some time to get all this situated.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
2nd driver.
The T100 is a lot to tow behind the Tacoma... possibly over 6500 depending on the trailer/dolly.
Your gas mileage is going to suck... might actually use less gas driving both trucks.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
Sweet, thanks for the info. Yeah I found a couple good bars on CL for under $100 ($500+ when new). Nearest TSC is a ways away, I'll look into kits and see what I can rig up. I'm not hauling the truck till the end of march so I have some time to get all this situated.

the trailer light kits are also available from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool or probably your local auto parts store. If you are near the shore, get the ones designed for boat trailers since they will be waterproof.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
2nd driver.
The T100 is a lot to tow behind the Tacoma... possibly over 6500 depending on the trailer/dolly.
Your gas mileage is going to suck... might actually use less gas driving both trucks.
I think it is (well) under the 6500 lbs if I just attach the tow bar. Ive seen tacos on here pulling car haulers with quad cab 2nd gens on them and they dont seem to have a problem, granted they have brakes most likely, but way more weight i believe.

Just did a search, my tacoma appears to be 4300 pounds at the curb, the t100 just shy of 3500 (probably over that with my tires, but an empty tank of gas will help). Im guess I wont see over 13mpg on the highway, anything over 10 and I'll be happy
Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If it's an automatic, don't forget to pull the driveshaft and plug the tranny tailshaft.
Flat-towing in neutral will kill the Toyota trans.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If it's an automatic, don't forget to pull the driveshaft and plug the tranny tailshaft.
Rich you seem to be knowledgable in this area. I have always wondered why towing a Tacoma flat or with the rearend turning and the tranning in neutral is a problem. Obviously there is a reason I have heard others say it before just always wondered. Sorry to get off topic op.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
Strautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 2nd Lt @TBS
Name: Nick
Strautins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why is that specifically bad on an auto but not a manual?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #32
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
Just did a search, my tacoma appears to be 4300 pounds at the curb, the t100 just shy of 3500 (probably over that with my tires, but an empty tank of gas will help). Im guess I wont see over 13mpg on the highway, anything over 10 and I'll be happy
3500 lb trailer without brakes will be potentially unsafe and illegal in some of the states you are driving through. The mountains won't be an issue, because you can use engine braking. Sudden stops for road debris, people cutting you off, etc. will be very difficult.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #33
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Out of curiosity, since the T100 has a stick-shift transfer case, why can't the truck be flat towed as-is with the transfer case in N?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Out of curiosity, since the T100 has a stick-shift transfer case, why can't the truck be flat towed as-is with the transfer case in N?
Manual transfer case should be okay as they are usually splash-lubed (I'd verify with a Toyota tech to be sure)

To the above questions, manual trans are splash-lubed just like the diff. There is no pump. If any of the shafts are spinning, lube is getting where it needs to go.

On autos, the fluid is primarily a hydraulic fluid to operate the clutches, but it is also the only lubrication that the rotating assembly gets.
The fluid is circulated by the pump, which is driven by the input shaft. They are not splash-lubed... that would cause aeration of the fluid and it would not work in the high pressure circuits.

Put the trans in neutral and coast downhill with the engine off or at idle and you're spinning your trans either without, or with insufficient lubrication.

SOME autos can be safely flat-towed in neutral, but not Toyotas.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Answered my own question after some digging:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...faq-2-0-a.html

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Crawler
On all auto chain driven and manual gear driven t/cases, if it is towed in two wheel drive, the output shaft will turn, but there will be no way for the oil at the bottom of the case to get to the top where the output shaft is. On the chain driven cases, the input shaft turns the planetary housing which drives the oil pump. Gear driven cases use the input gear and low range gears to throw oil on the inside of the housing that collects the oil via gutters and directs it to the rear of the case by gravity. Both style of cases, must have the input shaft spinning to lube the output shaft, speedo gears, and rear seal of the t/case. The rear driveshaft must be removed.
Marlin
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #36
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO is a splendid one to beholdNEWBIETACO is a splendid one to beholdNEWBIETACO is a splendid one to beholdNEWBIETACO is a splendid one to beholdNEWBIETACO is a splendid one to beholdNEWBIETACO is a splendid one to beholdNEWBIETACO is a splendid one to behold

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Tow bar, but read the manual for proper towing and what gear it needs to be in. Also just be sure to the vehicles hitch that will be towing it about an inch higher then the towbar, incase of heavy braking it wont roll over the bar and rearend yourself. Pulling the driveshafts would make it easy so you dont starve the tranny of fluid and less for something to go wrong with that long a tow, or puT the t case in N. Also be sure and get the tow lights and put on the bumper of your T100 as im guessing it isnt wired in the front for being towed
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Manual transfer case should be okay as they are usually splash-lubed (I'd verify with a Toyota tech to be sure)

To the above questions, manual trans are splash-lubed just like the diff. There is no pump. If any of the shafts are spinning, lube is getting where it needs to go.

On autos, the fluid is primarily a hydraulic fluid to operate the clutches, but it is also the only lubrication that the rotating assembly gets.
The fluid is circulated by the pump, which is driven by the input shaft. They are not splash-lubed... that would cause aeration of the fluid and it would not work in the high pressure circuits.

Put the trans in neutral and coast downhill with the engine off or at idle and you're spinning your trans either without, or with insufficient lubrication.

SOME autos can be safely flat-towed in neutral, but not Toyotas.
thanks makes perfect sense.