Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing a T100 behind my Tacoma??

Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a T100 behind my Tacoma??

I am trying to find the most economical way to tow my 1998 T100 4x4 from Oklahoma City to Norwalk, CT. The truck is lifted on 35's with front spacers and I think even if I remove the spacers for the trip, it will still be too wide for a tow dolly. To rent a car hauler is about $700 and I have found used ones on CL for around $1000. Trying to get cheaper than that if possible. I'd like to know your opinion on using a tow bar like this one:

My taco has no towing mods, just the factory 4 leaf/tranny cooler/brake controller. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
What about shipping it via semi or something? I shipped my supra from Tucson AZ to Indiana for like 700. If someone else ships it you don't pay for fuel.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon2588 View Post
What about shipping it via semi or something? I shipped my supra from Tucson AZ to Indiana for like 700. If someone else ships it you don't pay for fuel.
Hadn't really considered that, I'll look into it, but I'm guessing that since the T is probably twice the weight and a few feet longer, it will be more than $700
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
area 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Retired
area 52's Tacoma Gallery
Here in El Paso, I see convoys of old, used cars being taken into Mexico mostly with Colorado plates on them. It's usually 25-40 cars, and one car tows a second and they use that type of tow bar.

I also just bought that exact tow bar to tow my 81 with locally, which isn't plated for the street at the moment.

When I bought my 81, I rented a tow dolly for $50 to bring it home. These types of dollys can be found on Craig's List for around $450. They're much lighter than a full trailer and my Taco had no issues towing it over the mountain to get home (40 miles). I also have the tow package.

The first U Haul wouldn't rent it, even though I was within GVW, but the second one I went to had no problem.

Personally, for that amount of distance, I would ship it.

Jim

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by area 52 View Post
Here in El Paso, I see convoys of old, used cars being taken into Mexico mostly with Colorado plates on them. It's usually 25-40 cars, and one car tows a second and they use that type of tow bar.

I also just bought that exact tow bar to tow my 81 with locally, which isn't plated for the street at the moment.

When I bought my 81, I rented a tow dolly for $50 to bring it home. These types of dollys can be found on Craig's List for around $450. They're much lighter than a full trailer and my Taco had no issues towing it over the mountain to get home (40 miles). I also have the tow package.

The first U Haul wouldn't rent it, even though I was within GVW, but the second one I went to had no problem.

Personally, for that amount of distance, I would ship it.

Jim
Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into shipping but fear it would be cheaper to have someone drive it behind me and then me fly them back. I was considering the tow bar as I've heard with the dolly the truck is more susceptible to swaying. I'm going to investigate that further. I feel with the tow bar, there is no additional weight on the Tacoma and the only downside would be wear and tear on the T100. Thanks again
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I have used some very good shipping services, and usually they are cheaper than driving and flying back or towing one way and returning.

Howard
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I have used some very good shipping services, and usually they are cheaper than driving and flying back or towing one way and returning.

Howard

Any links or names by chance?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Uship.com
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Uship.com
Yeah I just found that a minute ago via google... Getting mixed reviews on the shippers they list. Looks like the average will be about $1000-$1400 though. Still, if someone can chime in on using a Tow Bar ($200) I'd like to hear about it. The tow bar plus the additional gas being burned wont add up to over $1000 IMO, plus when I'm done, I still have a tow bar I can use again.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Perhaps you can ship via train but if you go USHIP perhaps you can get your truck on TV!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Perhaps you can ship via train.
I'm googling it now, didnt realize you could, being a private party and not a dealer sending mass amounts.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #12

Amtrak vehicle shipping.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Amtrak vehicle shipping.
just found that, looks like amtrak only ships from VA to FL.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
Yeah I just found that a minute ago via google... Getting mixed reviews on the shippers they list. Looks like the average will be about $1000-$1400 though. Still, if someone can chime in on using a Tow Bar ($200) I'd like to hear about it. The tow bar plus the additional gas being burned wont add up to over $1000 IMO, plus when I'm done, I still have a tow bar I can use again.
I have a tow bar set up for 2" ball and a bumper adapter set up for the 60's era dodge truck front bumpers. The bumper bolts need to be swapped out and the adapter bolts to four of the bumper mount bolts that stick out in front of the bumper. The tow bar is heavy box beam and came with a house we bought once. I also have a light bar and LONG harness to plug into a trailer jack.

Have fun and go slow, pull the driveshafts and prepare to have trouble stopping.

Howard
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I have a tow bar set up for 2" ball and a bumper adapter set up for the 60's era dodge truck front bumpers. The bumper bolts need to be swapped out and the adapter bolts to four of the bumper mount bolts that stick out in front of the bumper. The tow bar is heavy box beam and came with a house we bought once. I also have a light bar and LONG harness to plug into a trailer jack.

Have fun and go slow, pull the driveshafts and prepare to have trouble stopping.

Howard
ive been doing some searching and found this, its on my drive to OKC and coud pick it up enroute
ebay tow bar

i think i could get it off him for under $250

they use them to tow hummers and big trucks, t100 wouldnt even phase it
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
nut,

The surplus or any good tow bar should work fine. As others have said, watch your distance between the vehicle ahead, take your time. For sure pull the drive shafts. Use grade 5 or better mounting bolts. Double nuts for insurance.

People tow race cars and 4X4s behind RVs all the time.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
nut,

The surplus or any good tow bar should work fine. As others have said, watch your distance between the vehicle ahead, take your time. For sure pull the drive shafts. Use grade 5 or better mounting bolts. Double nuts for insurance.

People tow race cars and 4X4s behind RVs all the time.
I planned on pulling the shafts and have contemplated pulling the front axles. There are awesome mounting points on the frame where the factory tow hooks are, I feel they should be strong enough for this.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
I would look around for a used flatbed trailer with brakes, you said the Taco has a controller, or tow dolly with brakes, the U-Haul style has a surge brake set-up. Use it and when finished with the trip sell it. If you find a good deal you might make a few buck when it's done. As far as the surplus tow bar it would work but you need a pintle hook on the tow vehicle and a place to make up adapters to fit it to the T-100 plus needing to add some type of lighting to the rear of the towed vehicle. Another plus is a trailer or dolly with brakes will stop a lot better than a vehicle on a towbar which increases saftey, especially if you hit bad weather.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
nut,

I did a quick search and was finding new tow bars from $100 and up. I would avoid the military surplus as it is a pintle hitch. It will bang heavily each time you take off or stop. Get a tow bar with a 2" ball hitch.

You can buy magnetic mount tow lights that have the harness to plug right into your trailer plug or even make your own with a piece of angle steel and trailer lights and a trailer wiring harness.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3umph View Post
I would look around for a used flatbed trailer with brakes, you said the Taco has a controller, or tow dolly with brakes, the U-Haul style has a surge brake set-up. Use it and when finished with the trip sell it. If you find a good deal you might make a few buck when it's done. As far as the surplus tow bar it would work but you need a pintle hook on the tow vehicle and a place to make up adapters to fit it to the T-100 plus needing to add some type of lighting to the rear of the towed vehicle. Another plus is a trailer or dolly with brakes will stop a lot better than a vehicle on a towbar which increases saftey, especially if you hit bad weather.
I agree the pintle hook wont be a good option, but I am heavily leaning towards a tow bar in lieu of trailers/dollies. I'm not going over any serious mountains and think the brakes will be fine as long as I drive smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
nut,

I did a quick search and was finding new tow bars from $100 and up. I would avoid the military surplus as it is a pintle hitch. It will bang heavily each time you take off or stop. Get a tow bar with a 2" ball hitch.

You can buy magnetic mount tow lights that have the harness to plug right into your trailer plug or even make your own with a piece of angle steel and trailer lights and a trailer wiring harness.

Like I said above, agree with the pintle hook. I have been doing some searching and I think I might just make a tow bar. Found a bunch on CL so we'll see what I end up with. When it comes to lights, if I disconnect the battery in the T100 and make like a 30 ft trailer wire to connect from the tacoma 4 pin to the t100 4 pin, cant I backfeed the lines and control the stock tail lights on the t100?

Thanks again for the help!