1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a T100 behind my Tacoma??

Discussion in 'Towing' started by nut, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    I am trying to find the most economical way to tow my 1998 T100 4x4 from Oklahoma City to Norwalk, CT. The truck is lifted on 35's with front spacers and I think even if I remove the spacers for the trip, it will still be too wide for a tow dolly. To rent a car hauler is about $700 and I have found used ones on CL for around $1000. Trying to get cheaper than that if possible. I'd like to know your opinion on using a tow bar like this one:
    [​IMG]

My taco has no towing mods, just the factory 4 leaf/tranny cooler/brake controller. Thanks in advance!

2. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    speeddemon2588

speeddemon2588 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Columbus, IN
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    5100's
    What about shipping it via semi or something? I shipped my supra from Tucson AZ to Indiana for like 700. If someone else ships it you don't pay for fuel.

3. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    Hadn't really considered that, I'll look into it, but I'm guessing that since the T is probably twice the weight and a few feet longer, it will be more than $700 :eek:

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM
    area 52

area 52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mica Green DCSB 4x4
    All Pro rear bumper w/hidden hitch, All Pro sliders, Rotopax fuel, water and 1st aid storage containers, ANB Fabrication bed rack, Cobra CB, 265/70/17 KM2 tires, 17x8 ATX Mojave teflon rims, OME 886 coil overs, OME 9000 front shocks, OME N182 rear shocks, ToyTec stainless steel extended brake lines, LRUCAs, OME CS 047R Dakar rear leaf springs, 2012 ARB bumper, lights, Warn XD 9000 winch.
    Here in El Paso, I see convoys of old, used cars being taken into Mexico mostly with Colorado plates on them. It's usually 25-40 cars, and one car tows a second and they use that type of tow bar.

I also just bought that exact tow bar to tow my 81 with locally, which isn't plated for the street at the moment.

When I bought my 81, I rented a tow dolly for $50 to bring it home. These types of dollys can be found on Craig's List for around $450. They're much lighter than a full trailer and my Taco had no issues towing it over the mountain to get home (40 miles). I also have the tow package.

The first U Haul wouldn't rent it, even though I was within GVW, but the second one I went to had no problem.

Personally, for that amount of distance, I would ship it.

Jim

viewFile_40a4d0513d57fcc6aa30d18c0d4b4028581160f8.jpg

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into shipping but fear it would be cheaper to have someone drive it behind me and then me fly them back. I was considering the tow bar as I've heard with the dolly the truck is more susceptible to swaying. I'm going to investigate that further. I feel with the tow bar, there is no additional weight on the Tacoma and the only downside would be wear and tear on the T100. Thanks again

6. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have used some very good shipping services, and usually they are cheaper than driving and flying back or towing one way and returning.

Howard

7. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled

Any links or names by chance?

8. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Uship.com

9. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    Yeah I just found that a minute ago via google... Getting mixed reviews on the shippers they list. Looks like the average will be about $1000-$1400 though. Still, if someone can chime in on using a Tow Bar ($200) I'd like to hear about it. The tow bar plus the additional gas being burned wont add up to over $1000 IMO, plus when I'm done, I still have a tow bar I can use again.

10. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    Perhaps you can ship via train but if you go USHIP perhaps you can get your truck on TV!

11. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    I'm googling it now, didnt realize you could, being a private party and not a dealer sending mass amounts.

12. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    Amtrak vehicle shipping.

13. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    just found that, looks like amtrak only ships from VA to FL.

14. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have a tow bar set up for 2" ball and a bumper adapter set up for the 60's era dodge truck front bumpers. The bumper bolts need to be swapped out and the adapter bolts to four of the bumper mount bolts that stick out in front of the bumper. The tow bar is heavy box beam and came with a house we bought once. I also have a light bar and LONG harness to plug into a trailer jack.

Have fun and go slow, pull the driveshafts and prepare to have trouble stopping.

Howard

15. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    ive been doing some searching and found this, its on my drive to OKC and coud pick it up enroute
    ebay tow bar

i think i could get it off him for under $250

they use them to tow hummers and big trucks, t100 wouldnt even phase it

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    nut,

The surplus or any good tow bar should work fine. As others have said, watch your distance between the vehicle ahead, take your time. For sure pull the drive shafts. Use grade 5 or better mounting bolts. Double nuts for insurance.

People tow race cars and 4X4s behind RVs all the time.

17. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    I planned on pulling the shafts and have contemplated pulling the front axles. There are awesome mounting points on the frame where the factory tow hooks are, I feel they should be strong enough for this.

18. Jan 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    A3umph

A3umph Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    I would look around for a used flatbed trailer with brakes, you said the Taco has a controller, or tow dolly with brakes, the U-Haul style has a surge brake set-up. Use it and when finished with the trip sell it. If you find a good deal you might make a few buck when it's done. As far as the surplus tow bar it would work but you need a pintle hook on the tow vehicle and a place to make up adapters to fit it to the T-100 plus needing to add some type of lighting to the rear of the towed vehicle. Another plus is a trailer or dolly with brakes will stop a lot better than a vehicle on a towbar which increases saftey, especially if you hit bad weather.

19. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    nut,

I did a quick search and was finding new tow bars from $100 and up. I would avoid the military surplus as it is a pintle hitch. It will bang heavily each time you take off or stop. Get a tow bar with a 2" ball hitch.

You can buy magnetic mount tow lights that have the harness to plug right into your trailer plug or even make your own with a piece of angle steel and trailer lights and a trailer wiring harness.

20. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    I agree the pintle hook wont be a good option, but I am heavily leaning towards a tow bar in lieu of trailers/dollies. I'm not going over any serious mountains and think the brakes will be fine as long as I drive smart.

Like I said above, agree with the pintle hook. I have been doing some searching and I think I might just make a tow bar. Found a bunch on CL so we'll see what I end up with. When it comes to lights, if I disconnect the battery in the T100 and make like a 30 ft trailer wire to connect from the tacoma 4 pin to the t100 4 pin, cant I backfeed the lines and control the stock tail lights on the t100?

Thanks again for the help!

Products Discussed in

To Top