Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)

Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #21
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Side loading that style hitch concerns me. It was designed to be vertical.
I don't see how it's any easier to manuver in that direction, since the tow vehicle limits how far you can turn the trailer anyway.
Am I missing something? I'm not picking a fight, just concerned.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #22
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Side loading that style hitch concerns me. It was designed to be vertical.
I don't see how it's any easier to manuver in that direction, since the tow vehicle limits how far you can turn the trailer anyway.
Am I missing something? I'm not picking a fight, just concerned.
He said in a previous post that he just turned it to move out of garage by hand.

Post 19
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #23
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTaco2012 View Post
I just picked up a M101A3 3/4 ton trailer. Let the modding begin.
Let's see some pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
He said in a previous post that he just turned it to move out of garage by hand.

Post 19

That I did, thank you.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
FYI GreenTaco, your trailer build page goes to post #4. Kinda weird.

I like the trailer. My neighbor way up the street has a desert tan one on the side of their house that hasn't moved in several years. If I ever see them outside, I'm going to stop and ask them about taking it off their hands. It looks like it's in pretty good shape.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
FYI GreenTaco, your trailer build page goes to post #4. Kinda weird.

I like the trailer. My neighbor way up the street has a desert tan one on the side of their house that hasn't moved in several years. If I ever see them outside, I'm going to stop and ask them about taking it off their hands. It looks like it's in pretty good shape.

hmmmm sure does. I'll look into that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
MallTaco
87FoRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
87FoRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Next time youre in town you need to see the one we have brewing at my buddy's shop (same shop as SAS) building an ExPo trailer for a TJ.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87FoRunner View Post
Next time youre in town you need to see the one we have brewing at my buddy's shop (same shop as SAS) building an ExPo trailer for a TJ.

I'll have to do that. I'll be in town next weekend. I'll give you a shout when I get in.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
Harleyhouse is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Harleyhouse's Tacoma Gallery
1997 M101A2

Before and after

My build:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-family-hauler
Attached Thumbnails
Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)-little_trailer_2.jpg   Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)-img_0674.jpg   Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)-trailer-20deck-202-20004.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #29
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting the itch for one of these. I'm in south jersey. Where would a good place to look? Are there kits so I could build a little at a time? I like the authentic military style, actual metal not fiberglass. I'm Googling of course but don't know who is a legit vendor for this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 AM   #30
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Govliquidation.com is one site. They appear randomly, sometimes in quantity, and in various conditions/completeness. They usually go for 300-600, depending on condition.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 AM   #31
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #32
atavuss is on a distinguished road
atavuss's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1947 Civilian 1/4 ton Bantam trailer that I mostly use to haul around my Hobie Pro Angler. I am the second owner, it was in the same family until I bought it about 10 years ago. I have only replaced the bearings and seals and installed larger 7.00x16 Military type tread tires on the stock powder coated wheels. I also removed the stock ball Fulton hitch and fabbed in a multi axis Max Coupler hitch. It has around 11" of clearance at the lowest point and will easily follow my 4x4 Taco anywhere off road. It is way overbuilt by Bantam, the springs, shackles, bearings, hubs, wheels are all the same as early Jeeps.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #33
Yoda the Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Chase
Yoda the Taco's Tacoma Gallery
There are some impressive trailers in this thread! Out of curiosity, has anyone modded or pulled an m105a2? I'm very aware they are very heavy. I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to make one useable
Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 AM   #34
Harleyhouse is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Harleyhouse's Tacoma Gallery
The M105 is a big trailer " heavy" but only as wide as a 1102 They sit tall but with an axle swap can be dropped down to tow behind a full size pick up or SUV. I have seen several on forums that have been reworked to campers and that have racks for a RTT.
Attached Thumbnails
Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)-trailers-20123.jpg   Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)-m101-2520libby.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhouse View Post
The M105 is a big trailer " heavy" but only as wide as a 1102 They sit tall but with an axle swap can be dropped down to tow behind a full size pick up or SUV. I have seen several on forums that have been reworked to campers and that have racks for a RTT.
Thanks for the info, man! That second pic is priceless! You sound like you know your military trailers. I'm more interested in the M105 for something I could use for camping or turn around and haul my mower if need be. I like that they are readily available around my area, and cheap. I'd like something that could handle some mild to moderate trails if need be, but the weight worrys me a little bit. I figured with some minor modifications, and an axle swap to try and get a similar ride height I might be okay. Out of curiosity, do you know what their stock ride height is?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #36

I've seen pictures of a couple that had been converted, but no one seems to have any info on what was done, other than the obvious axle swap
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #37
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
Here's mine, bought from a coworker for dirt cheap and was offered a heck of a lot more driving home with it. Since I have always wanted one I kept it. Going to be a nice camping hauler.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #38
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up am M-416 a while back. Sadly it turned out to not have the original frame, and had a crappy job of actually welding the tub to it. I have a lot of work to do before it will be even close. I am considering taking a solid new frame and just bolting the tub onto it after I cut the crap frame out from underneath it.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #39
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Holy bald tires
Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #40

Im a fan of the M-416, but they seem to be hard to come by in my neck of the woods