Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)

Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Military style trailers (M416, M101A etc...)

Did a little searching and couldn't come up with anything similar to this so I wanted to see what fellow TW members had. Just trying to start a thread where people post up problems, triumphs, suggestions, their personal builds and whatnot regarding military/expo trailers.

I'll start it off with my simple but with plenty of potential 1967 M416.

After a few months, this is the current progress and state on my M416:

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Nice trailer
Thanks. It's a work in progress.

Bump, any more trailers out there?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
There's a whole crap-load of trailers, including the converted military types here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ition-Trailers
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
There's a whole crap-load of trailers, including the converted military types here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ition-Trailers

I know. I am a member there as well as TTORA and IH8MUD. I was just wondering if there were any people on TW who weren't on those websites and I wanted to see what kinda trailers they were rocking. Thanks though.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
biomarine2000 is on a distinguished road

biomarine2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GREENTACO View Post
This is very cool. Could you post some more pics?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man!

I wish I could say the same for mine. My resto project has stalled the hell out. I need a blaster bad. I also have to find somebody to weld a new bottom on the tub. Maybe one day mine will look like yours again haha!

I also need two new hooks that where used to tie the canvas cover over the top. Two of mine are flattened.
OP, have you come across a supplier for those?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomarine2000 View Post
This is very cool. Could you post some more pics?
Check my signature for a build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Looks great man!

I wish I could say the same for mine. My resto project has stalled the hell out. I need a blaster bad. I also have to find somebody to weld a new bottom on the tub. Maybe one day mine will look like yours again haha!

I also need two new hooks that where used to tie the canvas cover over the top. Two of mine are flattened.
OP, have you come across a supplier for those?
I haven't really looked simply because I have an end result of making a hard lid and adding a RTT to the top. For obvious reasons a canvas top wouldn't support a RTT so anything relating to those hooks seems meaningless. I actually tried to remove mine but was unsuccessful. If I could get them off I would gladly give you mine but they weren't intended to come off.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I haven't really looked simply because I have an end result of making a hard lid and adding a RTT to the top. For obvious reasons a canvas top wouldn't support a RTT so anything relating to those hooks seems meaningless. I actually tried to remove mine but was unsuccessful. If I could get them off I would gladly give you mine but they weren't intended to come off.
Haha I hear ya. The two on the front of my tub are really out of wack. I tried heating them up with a torch to bend them back to their normal position but the side of the tub started to bend so I quit.
They might just have to remain bent.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #11

After the tear down and partial build back of mine, I have come to the conclusion that the Military wasn't playing around when it came to these things. I mean there are 10 leaf in the pack and all the hardware I swear was welding in place. I lost count of how many bolts I sheared while tearing this thing down.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
If i could find one around here, it seems like no one sells them.
X2
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Madmartigan 333 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Madmartigan 333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did a little searching and couldn't come up with anything similar to this so I wanted to see what fellow TW members had. Just trying to start a thread where people post up problems, triumphs, suggestions, their personal builds and whatnot regarding military/expo trailers.

I'll start it off with my simple but with plenty of potential 1967 M416.

After a few months, this is the current progress and state on my M416:
Nice Trailer man!!!!

I have been researching these, as well as drooling almost as long as i have over My Tacoma. Now, i just need to find one for sale somewhat close to Colorado. Please let me know if any of you guys run across one.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
After the tear down and partial build back of mine, I have come to the conclusion that the Military wasn't playing around when it came to these things. I mean there are 10 leaf in the pack and all the hardware I swear was welding in place. I lost count of how many bolts I sheared while tearing this thing down.
Yea really, I think I only managed to save a handful of bolts...almost every one sheared off. I'm going to have to cut the reflectors off the side of the tub. I checked out your build page....Where did you find that blaster and what size compressor do you have?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #15

I travel to Copper Mountain once a year and this years trip is in about a month so I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled. I have a buddy wanting one bad so I'm trying to find a good deal on one for him.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Yea really, I think I only managed to save a handful of bolts...almost every one sheared off. I'm going to have to cut the reflectors off the side of the tub. I checked out your build page....Where did you find that blaster and what size compressor do you have?

I got the blaster in Chattanooga at Harbor Freight. I used both a 33 gallon and 55 gallon compressor. I would definitely recommend the larger of the two. Nothing wrong with the 33 it just kept cycling on and off so I upgraded to the 55 and less cycling with that one.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
I got the blaster in Chattanooga at Harbor Freight. I used both a 33 gallon and 55 gallon compressor. I would definitely recommend the larger of the two. Nothing wrong with the 33 it just kept cycling on and off so I upgraded to the 55 and less cycling with that one.
Ok thanks! I will definitely have to get a new compressor then...mine is less than
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Google Government Liquidation for trailer auctions.

Op, why is your hitch sideways? The pintle is supposed to vertical, not the trailer end.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Google Government Liquidation for trailer auctions.

Op, why is your hitch sideways? The pintle is supposed to vertical, not the trailer end.

The reason the lunette** is vertical is because I grabbed it to pull it out of the garage. It simply is easier to maneuver when the lunette is vertical. The eye itself rotates 360 degrees without any limitation or restriction. Good eye though.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
SkullTaco2012 has a spectacular aura aboutSkullTaco2012 has a spectacular aura about
SkullTaco2012's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a M101A3 3/4 ton trailer. Let the modding begin.