Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 6,400 lbs towing capacity?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dccustoms6 View Post
I bought a 13 tacoma quad cab with the tow package in jan 13. I tow a 5000lb camper. First trip was ny to mass. I have a weight distribution hitch. Get 9mpg on the hills, and about 11 highway driving at 65-70. Tows well. Anything more than 5000 i would buy a tundra with the 5.7.
Are you in NY ?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
jeffwesley is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Chief of Police, ret.
Name: Jeff
jeffwesley's Tacoma Gallery
Taco vs. Tundra towing

After trying to make my 2012 V6 non-tow package Taco work with our 26 ft. travel trailer, I gave in and traded for a 2013 fully-equipped 4.6L Tundra. This is why: it became clear after several trips that the Taco was somewhat unstable with the swaying. I didn't have a tow package so my intent was to install a transmission cooler and perhaps an oil cooler. After weighing it out, I just decided that it made more sense to buy something made for towing. I also decided to buy a 4.6 L vs the 5.7L because I needed the mileage. That was probably a mistake, as the 4.6L seems to struggle more than the Taco did when pulling the trailer. The gas mileage is less too. I was getting about 10 MPG with the Taco, vs the Tundra, which is only getting around 8 MPG. The advantage is that the Tundra does feel more stable on the road.

If I had to do it over, I would still get the Tundra, only I would elect the 5.7L tow package. I really liked the Taco, but from a safety perspective, the Tundra just feels better.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
skeighter is on a distinguished road
skeighter's Tacoma Gallery
If you're doing long haul towing buy a Tundra. We just finished up a 1800 mile jaunt. Less than 10 mpg and the Taco struggled pulling our 4000 lb load up passes. Also drove me crazy using the cruise control. There is no "control". Either no gas or full throttle. We plan on using our TT to camp up and down the coast here in SoCal so no worries.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #24
smd3 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeighter View Post
If you're doing long haul towing buy a Tundra. We just finished up a 1800 mile jaunt. Less than 10 mpg and the Taco struggled pulling our 4000 lb load up passes. Also drove me crazy using the cruise control. There is no "control". Either no gas or full throttle. We plan on using our TT to camp up and down the coast here in SoCal so no worries.
Which mountain passes? I'm about to cross the divide with my Taco and a 22ft 3800lb trailer. I'm going over Monarch pass on Hwy 50 in Colorado.

I wasn't worried until I read another thread about someone hitting over 200 degree temps with an upgraded trans cooler.

I'm going to look around at adding a bigger cooler with a fan this weekend (I leave next Wednesday)

I've also ordered a 6" fan to strap to the existing cooler, if swapping the cooler isn't feasible.

Did you monitor transmission temp?

I'm not trading for a Tundra, I love my Tacoma, and I won't be making this trip a bunch. I'm just renting the trailer for the week, I'm also building plenty of time in my schedule to go up the pass slow.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #25
Jwunsch is on a distinguished road
Jwunsch's Tacoma Gallery
Taco with Travel trailer

HI everyone. I know this question has been around for long time and I like to hear your opinion.

I have a 2012 Tacoma Sport TRD V6 4.0 double cab. I love my taco. It the best purchase I ever made in my life. I used to own a Nissan Frontiers in the past and this truck beat big time. The comforts, the way it drives and the best of all the look. My taco has a factory installed tow packages and it stated can tow up to 6500lbs.

I want to upgrade from Jayco pop up camper to a bigger travel trailer. The dry weight I am looking at is 3800 to 3900 dry. Have anyone had any problem or have a travel trailer towing this size? The trailer is 23 feet long but the box is around 21.

John
Old 07-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #26
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwunsch View Post
HI everyone. I know this question has been around for long time and I like to hear your opinion.

I have a 2012 Tacoma Sport TRD V6 4.0 double cab. I love my taco. It the best purchase I ever made in my life. I used to own a Nissan Frontiers in the past and this truck beat big time. The comforts, the way it drives and the best of all the look. My taco has a factory installed tow packages and it stated can tow up to 6500lbs.

I want to upgrade from Jayco pop up camper to a bigger travel trailer. The dry weight I am looking at is 3800 to 3900 dry. Have anyone had any problem or have a travel trailer towing this size? The trailer is 23 feet long but the box is around 21.

John
I'll be pulling one that size/weight over the divide in less than a week.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #27
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower2013 View Post
We are looking at buying a 2013 Taco 4x4 V6 because it is listing a 6,400 lb towing capacity. When I read reviews online I hear that we should spend our money on a larger truck for stability. The trailer we are looking at towing is around 3800 lbs empty so we're thinking it won't be over 5,000 lbs.

Is there anyone that would highly recommend the 4x4 V6 for towing safely across country, hills, mountains, etc?
I had the exact same dilemma (will the Tacoma be enough or should I get something larger) while shopping for a truck. As others have said, you'll be okay towing <5000-lbs with the Tacoma. You won't be passing anybody on the hills, but you'll get to your destination just fine.

I personally wouldn't push it to the very limits of the truck's towing capacity (6500-lbs for the 4x4 double-cab short bed), but plenty of others have done so and insist it's no problem. I've set a personal limit of right around 5000-lbs (often slightly less) and am quite satisfied with the results.

In the end, I'm glad I didn't buy a larger truck. Since a larger truck, with larger engine, would typically drink more gas just sitting still, any fuel I might have saved while towing would have been lost over the long run just driving around town. And, since I do far more of the latter, I certainly wouldn't have came out ahead.

Of course, just like with any vehicle towing a fairly heavy load, make sure the Tacoma is set up properly - towing package, brake controller, weight distributing hitch, and, if needed, sway bar.

The tail end of a pickup is light, so trailer brakes with a brake controller (adjusted properly) helps to prevent jackknifing on wet or icy roads, or just when braking hard. A weight distributing hitch will smooth out the ride and reduce the tendency for the truck to droop or bounce in the rear.

You might be able to get by with Toyota's build-in Trailer Sway Control (included with the V6 Tow Package). It works, but it's difficult to determine how well since, when it's working, you should feel very little or nothing. However, if your trailer is especially unruly (blown around easily, etc), a sway bar will usually tame it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwesley View Post
(snip) I have a couple of questions. First, what does the tow package have that the other doesn't? (snip)

(snip) It is not a tow package. (snip) I am looking at a 19 ft. toy hauler that has a wt. of 5300 lbs. dry. Loaded will probably around 6500 lbs. (snip)
The V6 Tow Package includes a class IV hitch receiver, transmission cooler, supplemental engine oil cooler, 130-amp alternator, heavy-duty battery, connector under dash for the brake controller, pre-wired connector at the hitch for trailer electronics, and Toyota's build-in Trailer Sway Control.

In my opinion, you're pushing it at 6500-lbs, with or without the Tow Package, but especially without. However, if you're not traveling great distances or doing this often, it might be just fine. I'd certainly get a proper tow package installed.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
Jwunsch is on a distinguished road
Jwunsch's Tacoma Gallery
I do have all those package with the tow package. I am just wondering if anyone has a problem with the truck it self after towing travel trailer. I hate to see my taco having to go into shop for any issues that may caused by towing. Do you tow in drive 4 or leave it on D? Just wondering. Sorry if it sounds stupid.

John
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
jeffwesley is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Chief of Police, ret.
Name: Jeff
jeffwesley's Tacoma Gallery
John, I relented and traded my non-tow package 4.0L for a 4.6 L Tundra. Like you I was concerned about pushing the limits. This is the difference between the two trucks pulling my 25 ft. TT weighing in around 5500 lbs. First, the Taco actually seems to pull better. The transmission didn't "hunt" nearly as much as the Tundra's. Secondly, the Taco got about 10.5 MPG's pulling on flat land vs. 8 for the Double cab Tundra. Next, however, the Tundra is a more substantial truck and I didn't notice nearly the sway. I felt safer. And, finally, the transmission ran cooler.

If I had it all to do over again, I would probably still trade up to the Tundra, though I would have opted for the 5.7L, just because it is a bigger truck that can handle a larger trailer. For smaller trailers I am convinced the Taco with the trailer package is just fine.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
elcomicguy is on a distinguished road
elcomicguy's Tacoma Gallery
Towing Whaaaaat???

I'm waiting for my "Wolf Pup" RV that weighs in at 2425lbs. Tow vehicle is 2007 access cab 2.7 auto. I was thinking of giving it a trial run before having airbags installed. We plan on traveling light as possible, putting around the US and buying as we need. Definitely having trans cooler done. I was wondering what kind of tires would be best for the truck.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #31
skeighter is on a distinguished road
skeighter's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry...Just saw this message. Lot's of passes...Montgomery, Donner, etc. It pulled it, just labored a lot. Actually could see the needle on the gas gauge fall when going up Montgomery Pass in southwestern Nevada. No mods to the truck. Didn't impact temps or stress it, just burned gas and got on my nerves. Tundra??? I don't like the looks of them and they burn way more gas around town than my Tacoma. Only wish for one on infrequent stretches uphill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd3 View Post
Which mountain passes? I'm about to cross the divide with my Taco and a 22ft 3800lb trailer. I'm going over Monarch pass on Hwy 50 in Colorado.

I wasn't worried until I read another thread about someone hitting over 200 degree temps with an upgraded trans cooler.

I'm going to look around at adding a bigger cooler with a fan this weekend (I leave next Wednesday)

I've also ordered a 6" fan to strap to the existing cooler, if swapping the cooler isn't feasible.

Did you monitor transmission temp?

I'm not trading for a Tundra, I love my Tacoma, and I won't be making this trip a bunch. I'm just renting the trailer for the week, I'm also building plenty of time in my schedule to go up the pass slow.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
Just because the temp gauge didn't move doesn't mean temps didn't go up

I saw as high as about 215f of coolant temp, and 230f transmission pan temps on my scanguage climbing Monarch pass in Colorado. Mid 50's ambient temps, and a little under 13,000ft elevation.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTTACOMA View Post
Supercharge it. No more lag up hill!
I'd like to, perhaps if my wife gets his job she's applying for.

I must have a much lower tolerance for the lack of power. The number of people who are happy towing 5000lb through the mountains really surprises me.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTTACOMA View Post
Supercharge it. No more lag up hill!
I think this is the route that I'm going. I just don't want to drive a huge truck.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #36
tacohead75 is on a distinguished road
tacohead75's Tacoma Gallery
You can never have enough truck. If your towing a lot, buy a bigger truck. I have overloaded my truck many times and its a scary feeling when trying to brake.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #37
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcomicguy View Post
I'm waiting for my "Wolf Pup" RV that weighs in at 2425lbs. Tow vehicle is 2007 access cab 2.7 auto. I was thinking of giving it a trial run before having airbags installed. We plan on traveling light as possible, putting around the US and buying as we need. Definitely having trans cooler done. I was wondering what kind of tires would be best for the truck.
I just installed cooper discovery AT3, 265/70/16, very nice tire, use a class c rated sidewall. max wieght for the tire 2469 lbs. I'm towing 3800lbs. with a V-6. E rated tires will be to stiff for your truck. I'm using an all-terrian tire because of gravel roads I travel time to time.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #38
Lesterawacs is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Lesterawacs's Tacoma Gallery
travel trailer towing worries

I have a 2012 Taco 4.6L TRD 4x4 SR5 with full up towing package. I agree gas mileage is bad while towing but worried I am over stressing it. Travel trailer is 4400# empty and add maybe 500# load plus 500# in the truck for cargo. We only add about 5-ish gallons of water in potable tank to facilitate rest stops on the way. We have a good brake controller and an Equil-I-Zer sway controller/weight distribution hitch. It seems to tow very nicely and on trip from Oklahoma City To Grand Canyon it handled grades in and out of OK/TX panhandles and in and out of Albuquerque well. Thought s and opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 6,400 lbs towing capacity?-eisenhower-state-park-2013_02.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #39
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Get a supercharger if you're towing a lot, and maybe upgrade the rotors and pads.

I personally take any tow rating, divide it by 2 and then that's how much I think a vehicle can comfortable pull. If the trailer is wider then the truck get some form of sway control. And of course a trailer brake controller.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #40
justinmn56 is on a distinguished road
Name: justin
justinmn56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1790 View Post
Same here, never been blown around and I towed a little over 5k lbs (including trailer) from NJ to FL, no issues and it was my first time towing anything. Gas mileage does get pretty bad. If you plan on towing heavy loads a lot I would get a full size. I rarely tow anything and don't need a huge truck.

i have a 2012 4X4 tacoma tss i pulled a 15 passenger van (overall weight of trailer and van was about 8500 lbs) from northwest arkansas to houston with no problem i wasn't getting passed and i don't have trailer brakes gas mileage went down significantly but other than that it was fine i wouldn't suggest doing that on a daily basis but it will do it