Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Refinish OEM hitch

Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Air Force: Space Professional
Name: Scott
Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Refinish OEM hitch

I picked up a used OEM hitch and thought since I have it off of the truck right now, I though I would refinish it to take care of the rust on it. I'm thinking along the lines of:

1 steel brush
2 grinder (if neccesary)
3 POR-15
4 Raptor Liner (along with underside of truck)

Any thoughts / suggestions / experience with something like this? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
I would try to get it sand blasted if it was mine.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Hit up amaes, as he has done tool refurbishing, and seems to know alot about things like this.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Air Force: Space Professional
Name: Scott
Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Just because I hate leaving threads with no "solution", here's what I did:

Whip out my grinder and wire wheel and go to town! Also used a drill and wire attachment for the narrow places. Before :
Refinish OEM hitch-uploadfromtaptalk1361836603037.jpg

After :
Refinish OEM hitch-uploadfromtaptalk1361836640930.jpg

3 coats of primer and 3 coats of enamel later:
Refinish OEM hitch-uploadfromtaptalk1361836830216.jpg

Mounted:
Refinish OEM hitch-uploadfromtaptalk1361836888412.jpg

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I'm personally a big fan of POR-15 myself. Tired of touching up metal and that stuff works awesome for me. Looks good!