Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing my Tacoma

Old 02-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Chuckychief is on a distinguished road
Air Force: CMSgt (retired)
Chuckychief's Tacoma Gallery
Towing my Tacoma

Hello all. New to the forum with a question. I have an '04 Tacoma double cab,4x4. Can I tow it behind my motor home? Issues? Problems? Just what do I have to do?
Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
No you cannot flat tow your tacoma will cause issues. You can get a dolly and disconnect the driveshaft or get a full trailer.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
dougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud of
Firefighter:
Name: Doug
dougmatson's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by Remco that a driveshaft disconnect was all I needed. Pull the disconnect put the tranny in park. Remco is the company that specializes in theses.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Yes for a 2x4 that remco product is fine the trouble comes where yours is a 4x4. If you get a dolly and the remco coupling that would work but the problem of the front wheels spinning has to be solved ie the dolly
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
dougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud ofdougmatson has much to be proud of
Firefighter:
If the hubs are not locked why would it matter? I towed my 89' 4runner with the manual tranny in neutral, front hubs unlocked with no problems, over 35k miles worth of towing.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #6

lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 04 does not have manual hubs. That would work for a manual hub tacoma but one with auto hubs it will not.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Chuckychief is on a distinguished road
Air Force: CMSgt (retired)
Chuckychief's Tacoma Gallery
Towing my Tacoma

Thanks to all who responded. Doug, can you tell me anymore of your experience towing? I contacted Remco and they no longer make the part, but gave me a number of someone else who does. Will call them today. How does it work? Can you disconnect and reconnect yourself?
ANY info you can give me will be more than I have now. Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Firefighter:
If your talking about the driveshaft disconnect thats weird because I spoke to them about a month ago for the driveshaft disconnect for my 13' and they said they could ship me one around $800. You can go to their site and see how they work. I think I would switch to manual hubs before going to a dolly they are a pain. Another idea is to install an aux tranny pump that would pump fluid in the tranny when you were traveling.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Firefighter:
I spoke to the people who now make the driveshaft disconnect system. They told me the Tacoma double cab is one of the most popular tow cars now. I asked what I needed and they said the just the disconnect unit, keep the transfer case in 2hi, put tranny in park and go. I also talked to a Toyota master mech and he said as long as the tranny was not being turned by the shaft and with part time 4wd in 2hi mode I should not have a problem. Going to order all parts this week and hit the road in August.