Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

I am Going to buy a 5x8 cargo trailer, need advice !

Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
I am Going to buy a 5x8 cargo trailer, need advice !

My current taco is a 07 access cab pre-runner sport. It has a manual tranny. I want some opinions on whether or not I should go with another taco to tow a 5x8 cargo trailer, empty they only go 900-1100 lbs. Most of the time I won't have more than a 1k lbs in it probably 400 to 500 lbs 90% of the time.
Would an Automatic double cab long bed be a better truck for doing some long distance towing (and short) for my new business and the times a real back seat is needed ?
I appreciate all opinions good or bad ! Give it to me boyz!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
is your current truck a 4 or 6 banger? if its a 6 you should be fine. i have a 02 prerunner w/ 6 and it has all the power i need for towing.i also have a 12 r/c w/4 banger and for me, i will not trailer anything behind it. not that much power and i also have a fjc that i use for trailering.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
I used to tow a 6x10 enclosed with my '99 V6 auto. I used it as a landscaping trailer and it was always weighed down with at least a zero-turn and a walk-behind. You should be fine. Personally, I would get a set of the Timbren bump-stops. That's what I had. Prevented me from having a saggy back end.lol
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
My current taco is a 07 access cab pre-runner sport. It has a manual tranny. I want some opinions on whether or not I should go with another taco to tow a 5x8 cargo trailer, empty they only go 900-1100 lbs. Most of the time I won't have more than a 1k lbs in it probably 400 to 500 lbs 90% of the time.
Would an Automatic double cab long bed be a better truck for doing some long distance towing (and short) for my new business and the times a real back seat is needed ?
I appreciate all opinions good or bad ! Give it to me boyz!
Your current truck, either 4 or 6-cylinder, automatic or manual, should be able to tow a moderately loaded utility trailer with no problems. Of course, keep the max towing capacity of the truck (on the door label or wherever) in mind. Regardless, as you suspect, a 6-cylinder, automatic, double-cab will handle the load more effortlessly, will be more stable on the road (longer wheel-base), and will add passenger space. It's your money, so only you can decide if these are important enough, or necessary enough, for you.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a double cab, get one. That's more of a personal preference than anything.

I have a 5x8 utility trailer and pulled it easily with my 99 Prerunner V6 - sometimes with a couple of tons on it.

I pull the same trailer with my 2012. It's a great size trailer for a Tacoma.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i see you have a v6. you will be just fine. i have a ’07 DCSB trd off road 4x4 with auto trans and tow pakage. i tow about 3k maybe a little quite often when going 4 wheeling. i keep it in 4th so the over drive does not kick in on hills. I don’t see any reason for you to need to go to a auto with that light of a load. you will under 1/2 the rated towing capacity.
(hold on i’ll post pic of what i tow.)

edit: pic. trailer is a 7’x12’ also does not have trailer brakes. and by it self is prob little over 1k
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #7

kimo's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the comments. I guess the v6 will handle my loads fine, its more about the pain of having a manual tranny for towing, not that I haven't towed with a standard tranny before. Its guess its an OLD GUYS thing...lol Getting lazy !
I know my next Taco will be a DBLcab-LB with auto and maybe 4x4 too ? I will probably keep this truck another couple years and sell it when it gets around 100k miles on it .
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #8

kimo's Tacoma Gallery
Now I have to decide on what cargo trailer? They have some cheapo's out there for sure. But I'd rather invest a little more and get torsion springs instead of leaf. Also better construction with undercoating, heavier frame tubing, lighting, ventalation,side curb door, smooth sides without screws all over it, and a one piece roof, etc etc. All that for about an extra 1k over the cheapos that are thrown together. Heck, I might even use it for camping trips too !
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thank you for the comments. I guess the v6 will handle my loads fine, its more about the pain of having a manual tranny for towing, not that I haven't towed with a standard tranny before. Its guess its an OLD GUYS thing...lol Getting lazy !
I know my next Taco will be a DBLcab-LB with auto and maybe 4x4 too ? I will probably keep this truck another couple years and sell it when it gets around 100k miles on it .
I know what you mean. Auto is very nice towing, imho. also the auto you can still shift it some. i do it. if someone cuts me off or something and i have to slam on the brakes i will down shift. or some times if it has not rained in a few weeks and it raining real hard i will down/up shift on hills from a stop. also if you live any where that gets any snow. or you like camping and stuff get 4x4. itís well worth it!
Quote:
Now I have to decide on what cargo trailer? They have some cheapo's out there for sure. But I'd rather invest a little more and get torsion springs instead of leaf. Also better construction with undercoating, heavier frame tubing, lighting, ventalation,side curb door, smooth sides without screws all over it, and a one piece roof, etc etc. All that for about an extra 1k over the cheapos that are thrown together. Heck, I might even use it for camping trips too !
IMHO i would spend a little more money and get a better trailer.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #10

kimo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
I know what you mean. Auto is very nice towing, imho. also the auto you can still shift it some. i do it. if someone cuts me off or something and i have to slam on the brakes i will down shift. or some times if it has not rained in a few weeks and it raining real hard i will down/up shift on hills from a stop. also if you live any where that gets any snow. or you like camping and stuff get 4x4. itís well worth it!

IMHO i would spend a little more money and get a better trailer.
Ya, I am sold on the better trailers already. I just have to convince my Wife ! Why does it always come to that... lol !
I just sold my 93 Honda accord in one day without advertising it...gas is going up, but I need the $$$ for my new business and cargo trailer is part of BIZ !
I will pick up another scraper down the road, but when you need stuff, you have to liquidate sometimes !
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Ya, I am sold on the better trailers already. I just have to convince my Wife ! Why does it always come to that... lol !
I just sold my 93 Honda accord in one day without advertising it...gas is going up, but I need the $$$ for my new business and cargo trailer is part of BIZ !
I will pick up another scraper down the road, but when you need stuff, you have to liquidate sometimes !
yeah. and lol. I know we got our trailer for atvs and stuff. wanted to haul at least 3, and wanted a side gate. went to a local place that makes good trailers and looked at some and talked about what they could do. the one we got was a custom order and the guy had not come to get it, and it had been sitting there for like 2 or 3 months. itís 7í wide has a 6í wide rear gate, and is 12í long with a 12í side gate on the right side. which is really nice so you donít have to pull the atv up and slide it over in between the wheels/over the axle like some trailer. can fit 3 good size atvs side ways or the rhino and one atv.(can only back on because of the bed on the rhino, it would hit the handle bars on the atv)

and nice! thats always a good feeling when you can sell it really fast like that. that way you canít think about it to long and change your mind on selling.(if you are just selling it to sell it. not because you have to)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Loadrite 5x10 trailer and it's great. It's a galvanized frame so it doesn't rust and only weights about 500 lbs +/-. Even with a heavier trailer, 2k lbs behind the Taco isn't bad at all.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Tow all the time with my 5x8 trailer. I did get a heavy duty trailer that can haul 3500 lbs. Have had way more than that in it when moving the storage to the house, Tacoma handled it fine. Yeah, went slow, stopped slow, kept my distance. No probs. I think these little Tacos tow fine, no it aint no Tundra, just take it easy, don't go over board, be smart.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
OldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud of

Army: USMC 79-85 / USCG 87-89 / Army 89-12 / Retired E-8 on 07/31/12
Name: Robert
OldFatGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I have 12 4x4 Double cab with a V-6. I also have a 6x12 enclosed trailer that my motorcycle fits in easily. I have no issues pulling it, or my boat and boat trailer. I only have the double cab because I have twins, if this is a work truck, the access cab and the longer bed might work well for you. Good luck
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
You will be good to go towing. I tow my 6x12 utilty trailer loaded with 1200lb Kubota zero turn all the time truck never complains. My only advise is check on larger trailers that 5x8 cost is close for a larger trailer and you won't be sorry in the long run.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps2012 View Post
You will be good to go towing. I tow my 6x12 utilty trailer loaded with 1200lb Kubota zero turn all the time truck never complains. My only advise is check on larger trailers that 5x8 cost is close for a larger trailer and you won't be sorry in the long run.
x2 get a bigger trailer than you think you need or what you want right now.

our 7x12 is a little to big most the time. but their has been many times where we used all of the space it has and used the truck bed and still needed space.

granted one of those times was when we moved.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #17

kimo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply's and suggestions ! I would love a bigger than 5x8 cargo trailer....but, I live in a neighborhood under an association and I have to store my trailer in my garage ! The 5x8 will just make the 7ft door ht. incl the vent on top of the trailer. So that is what I am dealing with. But if I ever buy another house @ here. I will be sure I have storage for all the crap in my bucket list ie; Boats, Classic Cars, Motor Home....I could go on..lol
Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #18

kimo's Tacoma Gallery
OH, by the way. I am pretty sold on the Continental Elite trailer line built by Forest River up in Oregon. This line includes a lot of great standard features like a torsion spring axel instead of leafs, undercoating, heavier frame, lighting, venting, side curb door, and most important to me, it has smooth sides and NOT all the rivet or screw dents all over the sides of it !
I plan to have it wrapped in a cool vinyl design to make it look like an old classic Garbage Truck for my Forum and Clothing - Accessory Biz for Gmen !
Gmen Rule !