Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

New Tacoma With Towing Package - No Wires

Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
G23od is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
G23od's Tacoma Gallery
New Tacoma With Towing Package - No Wires

I just got a 2005 Tacoma with the towing package. It has the OEM socket built in next to the hitch but did not come with the wires/adapter that goes from the tow socket to the trailer. Where can I pick one up aftermarket? The dealership tried to sell me the whole kit and kaboodle for $250.00 including an OEM socket even though I explained I just needed the wires/adapter.

My apologies if the terminology isn't correct. Be gentle it's my first post.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The wires that go from the socket on the truck to the trailer are part of the trailer's wiring harness. The truck's wiring ends at the socket and any wires from there would be part of the trailer. The only exception i can think of is if you have a 4-pin trailer. That would require a plug-in adapter to step down the truck's 7-pin socket to a 4-pin plug. That adapter can be found at any auto parts store or possibly Uhaul location.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
G23od's Tacoma Gallery
So when I buy or rent a trailer it will come with the wires that plug in? For some reason I thought there was some wires or an adapter that came with the OEM socket...

Nice looking truck by the way.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G23od View Post
So when I buy or rent a trailer it will come with the wires that plug in? For some reason I thought there was some wires or an adapter that came with the OEM socket...
Yes, the truck's wiring ends at the plug and anything beyond that is part of the trailer's wiring.

If you rent a trailer, it will likely be a flat 4 connector and you will need an adapter to connect to it. Your truck, having the factory tow package, has a 7-pin round socket so the adapter would be a 7 round to flat 4 adapter and will look similar to this:

That would plug into your truck's round socket and the flat 4 connector from the trailer would plug into the part you see above. If you tow a trailer with a 7 round connector, no adapter is required. There are other wiring configurations but the 7 round and flat 4 are by far the most common.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, what he said. The adapter is very inexpensive as well might as well just get one to have if you're going to be towing. My boat trailer is only a 4 pin so I need one.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
G23od's Tacoma Gallery
Genius, glad I signed up here. Thanks for schooling me up. I guess I will pick up a 7 to 4 adapter to have just in case so I can work with any trailer.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G23od View Post
Genius, glad I signed up here. Thanks for schooling me up. I guess I will pick up a 7 to 4 adapter to have just in case so I can work with any trailer.

Welcome to TW by the way!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
PatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud of

Name: Pat
PatSully's Tacoma Gallery
the plug that you may or may not have is the one that plugs in for the electric brake controller. if you trailer has electric brakes, you will need a controller and the small harness that goes between the truck's wiring harness and the controller.

and that's if your trailer has electric brakes.

edit, here the info you need if you are using trailer brakes.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...html#post35022