Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Bobbycobb is on a distinguished road
Bobbycobb's Tacoma Gallery
Towing

Hey new to the forum...I'm thinking of buying a 4000# TT (dry). I figure with gear and everything I will be towing about 5000#. I will buy a weight distribution hitch with sway control (suggestions?). My truck is an 07 TRD DBLCB Offroad with a Gibson exhaust and K&N cai. I will be towing in the AZ mountains (Beeline Highway). Anyone else tow something similar??? Am I too heavy for this truck? I know what the towing capacity is but I want to be realistic. I also havd a brake control so thats not an issue. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Boltsfaninmo is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Boltsfaninmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycobb View Post
Hey new to the forum...I'm thinking of buying a 4000# TT (dry). I figure with gear and everything I will be towing about 5000#. I will buy a weight distribution hitch with sway control (suggestions?). My truck is an 07 TRD DBLCB Offroad with a Gibson exhaust and K&N cai. I will be towing in the AZ mountains (Beeline Highway). Anyone else tow something similar??? Am I too heavy for this truck? I know what the towing capacity is but I want to be realistic. I also havd a brake control so thats not an issue. Thanks!
I'm in the market and have similar questions. From what I have been hearing and reading, you will be okay. I have heard you should get a Tranny cooler though at those weights. Where the truck will struggle is going up the hills. Good luck in your research. Oh , and pay attention ot tongue weight if you are looking at toy haulers like me.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Yes, do get a tranny cooler. its a must need for towing about anything.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/70297-Hi-Tek-T...s=B%26M+cooler

All that is needed is some 3/8" tranny line, some wire and manipulation of brackets to mount it and a couple brass barbed fittings.

I also put in a tranny temp gauge, like this: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...865#post967865
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
BC Overlander is on a distinguished road

BC Overlander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycobb View Post
From my experience towing my Toy Hauler which is about 5000 lbs loaded with the bike and our gear, you should be fine. I can go up most hills at the posted speed limit.

As I'm sure you've read, the Tacoma gets poor gas mileage with this kind of weight. I average about 11 mpg while towing.

Sway control is a must with that size of trailer on a Tacoma. I upgraded to an Equal-i-zer system and it works very well. Haven't had any problems in windy conditions.

Products Discussed in this Thread