Notices

6x12 SA or 7x14 DA enclosed?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #21
cjcarner is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Colin
cjcarner's Tacoma Gallery
thanks all for your input. i'm looking at a used 6x12 DA trailer. any advice on what to look out for?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Tires, tires, tires. They seem like the most problematic since they don't ofter wear out just get old and rotten. Check the date stamp and sidewall for checking, tread for separations. Wheel bearings are next on the list of things that might not be too obvious. You can do a quick check by getting the wheel off the ground and giving it a whirl listening for roughness in the bearings and checking for looseness. Easily done on a DA by getting the adjoining tire up on a block. Then, even if they sound and feel good you should pull the hubs and visually check them before hauling. Look at the frame underneath for rust, they aren't made of very heavy gauge and can rust through especially in areas that hold dirt.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
Army:
Here's the trailer that I picked up. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171002192656...84.m1497.l2649
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
F-125Racer is on a distinguished road

F-125Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear Marathons seem to hold up the best. Just run 10psi more than what the sidewall says (as per Goodyear bulletin). The higher pressure keeps the tread bond cooler. These tires almost always throw the tread off if they get too hot. I have been towing a single axle trailer max loaded for about 23 years, 10-15k miles per year and trailer tires is one thing I know the ins and outs of! Check out the thread "6 Cylinder Towing Review". I'll bump it for ya.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcarner View Post
Here's the trailer that I picked up. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171002192656...84.m1497.l2649
Good choice. Can't wait to see pics of it hooked up to the tacoma.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #26
huntndog is on a distinguished road
huntndog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-125Racer View Post
Goodyear Marathons seem to hold up the best. Just run 10psi more than what the sidewall says (as per Goodyear bulletin). The higher pressure keeps the tread bond cooler. These tires almost always throw the tread off if they get too hot. I have been towing a single axle trailer max loaded for about 23 years, 10-15k miles per year and trailer tires is one thing I know the ins and outs of! Check out the thread "6 Cylinder Towing Review". I'll bump it for ya.
Interesting.... Was recently researching trailer tires.

Certainly not doubting your experience (I'm a towing newbie), but the Chinese GY Marathons have a REALLY bad reputation on the web. While all trailer tires are now made in China, I steered clear of the Marathons due to all the negative reviews. I ended up going with Greenball tires because both Costco and Sam's Club carry it and stand behind it (and neither carry the Marathons any more...Not that that proves anything except perhaps Greenball gave them a better price). Perhaps the extra 10psi in the Marathon makes all the difference.

The best reviewed trailer tire that I could find was the Maxxis M8008 ST (if your trailer can fit an ST225/75R15). It is rated at 10 ply and Load Range D. Available at Discount Tire and here: http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-M8008-R...+trailer+tires

Although I believe my trailer could fit an ST225/75R15 tire, I couldn't justify the additional cost of the Maxxis for the loads I carry. The ST205/75R15 Greenball is only rated at 6 ply and Load Range C, but it's half the price of the Maxxis.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #27
Army:
Thanks for the heads up on the tires. Hopefully I'll have some time to think about it since I went new.

I've checked out the towing bible, and great stuff in there. Still, I'm nervous to see how the truck handles it. I'm installing my brake controller this weekend and picking it up next weekend. Hopefully the tacoma lives up to expectations and the 4000 or so pounds behind me doesn't make the trip miserable!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine with the weight, on the highway the 7x14's are a huge drag though! I pull one for work occasionally 150 mile round trip and burn a lot of gas especially if there is a head wind but the tacoma handles it fine.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntndog View Post

How does the tacoma like the 6x12?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #30
huntndog is on a distinguished road
huntndog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3306 View Post

How does the tacoma like the 6x12?
Brakes, insulation, electrical, and flooring done (Herculiner Bed Liner).... Heading towards a modified version of this pic.

Thought about adding a window, but I want to keep it totally stealth 'cause I use it for storage outside,
plus I plan to crash in it while on the road in a Walmart or Home Depot parking lot and don't want to get hassled.
Two deep-cycle batteries + power inverter to drive my TV / laptop monitor, lights, etc., so I can bug out in style.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #31
Army:
Just picked up the trailer! Pics will have to wait till tomorrow, because its already dark out. It was heavy on the highway, but between the P3 brake controller and the low end power it did well in town. Overall very happy with my purchase!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #32
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just picked up the trailer! Pics will have to wait till tomorrow, because its already dark out. It was heavy on the highway, but between the P3 brake controller and the low end power it did well in town. Overall very happy with my purchase!
Around town both my trucks have no trouble towing some really heavy stuff. When you get on the highway and try to maintain a 60mph+ speed is where it starts to hurt. Not to mention the fuel economy dies.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
Army:

Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
Army:
Just installed some e track from harbor tools today, and going to put in a motorcycle wheel chock tomorrow. Question: put the wheel chock in the V right at the front, or put it maybe a foot back from the front of the trailer?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just installed some e track from harbor tools today, and going to put in a motorcycle wheel chock tomorrow. Question: put the wheel chock in the V right at the front, or put it maybe a foot back from the front of the trailer?
Depends on the tongue weight...put it in the trailer and find the sweet spot with the trailer hooked up to the truck.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #36
Army:
good call, ill do that tomorrow, thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #37
Army:
Well, the towing is all done. The trailer tracked straight and got decent gas mileage (about 10-11 mpg). Next time, I'll be using Firestone Ride Rite bags and some sway bars. Other than that, I was pretty comfortable with the whole trip.

Products Discussed in this Thread