6x12 SA or 7x14 DA enclosed?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
cjcarner is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Colin
cjcarner's Tacoma Gallery
6x12 SA or 7x14 DA enclosed?

Hey guys,

Looking for some experience on a question. I am moving across the country soon, and plan on bringing some of my belongings with me in a trailer and having the rest moved professionally.

I have the following options:

1) Buy a SA 6x12 v-nose for about $1800 and trying to add brakes. I don't want to carry much more than 3500#'s for the sake of being easy on the truck anyway, so the axle rating doesn't bother me too much.

2) Buy a DA 7x14 v-nose for about $2500 and adding nothing (brakes included). It can carry way more than I feel comfortable with, but for the price difference it almost seems worth it?

The problem is that the bigger one weighs in about 500 lbs more. So I'd be paying about $500 extra (after brake install on the smaller trailer) for more space I may/may not use and hauling an extra 500#'s for nothing.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the bigger one with the brakes. You'll be happier in the long run plus better resale.
Without knowing much about the brake-less trailer adding brakes to it may require new axles.

You'll need a brake controller and I would highly recommend a weight distributing hitch with sway control. Cross winds can really make the relatively short wheel Tacoma assuming you don't have a dclb, move around under the influence of the large surface area of an enclosed trailer especially in the company of 18 wheelers

Take the time to check the condition of the wheel bearings and electric brakes by pulling the hubs. Check the date code on the tires and their condition old tires can fail even if they look good on the outside. Don't put yourself and others in harms way by having a break down on the road.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Army:
Thanks for the input. I think you're right. I should probably just suck it up and get the bigger one. The price tag makes me puke in my mouth a little bit, but it should be worth it in the end.

Any other maintenance issues I should look out for?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcarner View Post
Thanks for the input. I think you're right. I should probably just suck it up and get the bigger one. The price tag makes me puke in my mouth a little bit, but it should be worth it in the end.

Any other maintenance issues I should look out for?
I'm a firm believer in Bearing Buddies..Also you may want to see if you can find a 14ft. single axle w/brakes.The single axle will be a little easier to pull,less resistance on the road....
Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would suggest a double axle, they pull smoother, less bouncing around and are more stable in cross winds.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
huntndog is on a distinguished road
huntndog's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on selling it after the move, buy the 7x14 DA v-nose w/ brakes for $2,500.

Of course, I did the opposite. E.g., I have your same truck and recently bought a used 2011 6x12 Haulmark SA cargo trailer (no brakes) for the same purpose... to move cross-country. I plan to keep the trailer after the move and thought I could get by w/o brakes. My plan is to camp in the trailer up and down the CA and Mexico coastline, hauling 2 surfboards, 2 bikes, bed, camping gear, etc... keeping the load as light as possible.

Well, I've now used the trailer a couple of times helping friends move locally. The 6x12 was not loaded to capacity. I'll guess ~2K lbs. (well under it's rating). It's pretty flat around here in GA, but you definitely can feel it back there, especially when going up any grade (big drop in mpg) and when braking (definitely need to plan well in advance and it's obviously going to wear the truck's brakes out faster). There are some much bigger hills along the CA coast (e.g., Big Sur, the Grapevine, etc.) and I want this Tacoma to last at least 15 trouble-free years like my last Toyota truck.

I now plan to install brakes on it before my cross-country move for sure. I'm shopping for them now (etrailer.com). The brake parts alone are ~$500, plus labor. For my purposes, I think I'll be happy in the long run with the lighter 6x12 SA w/ brakes. A lightly-loaded 6x12 is as big as I care to tow with my Tacoma. But if I wasn't planning to keep the trailer, I'd put the $500+ into the bigger trailer with brakes already installed for sure.... Much smarter investment.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

I just made a 3000 mile round trip pulling a 24' HiLo TT 4200# empty plus two people plus a 300# WR250R in the bed.with BluTaco, no problems other than the last snow storm witch stopped us in Wichita for 4 hours. Of course the mileage wasn't that great, 12.3 down hill from here to Corpus Christi, TX, 10.9 on the uphill return. Several times on hill with a head wind it was running in 3rd @ 4K rpms but was able to maintain 60-65 mph speed. Trailer brakes, a anti sway load distributing hitch and Firestone Ride Rites are a necessity for this load.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
If you're just looking for the move, why not get a uhaul 6x12. It'll be like $20 a day. Given you spend a week driving and sight seeing, that's only $140...

If you want to buy to keep, go for the 7x14...I've towed both, and really you can't tell a difference. The 7x14 will be easier to sell cause a lot of landscapers use them...just my opinion...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of
Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, uHaul doesn't price the trailers at a day rate for one way moves. It's a set rate and it's more in the upper $100 lower $200 range. OP might plan on keeping the trailer for other reasons than the move cross country.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Army:
Thanks for all the input and responses.

I plan on keeping the trailer. I, like the poster above, want to keep the load light. I really don't want to stress the taco too badly (that's what she said). Hopefully the extra weight and the dual axle won't make it difficult, but based on the responses it doesn't seem it would.

As far as uhaul, I had considered it. I hate them as a company, and also it is about $350 for the move and I'd have to unload it immediately and have nothing to show for it. Also, I have another move in October, so I'd have $700 down the drain.

I didn't know the brakes would be THAT pricey, so thanks for the heads up. Looks like the 7x14 DA is the way to go. Would a SA trailer with a 5k axle be a better option?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the input and responses.

I plan on keeping the trailer. I, like the poster above, want to keep the load light. I really don't want to stress the taco too badly (that's what she said). Hopefully the extra weight and the dual axle won't make it difficult, but based on the responses it doesn't seem it would.

As far as uhaul, I had considered it. I hate them as a company, and also it is about $350 for the move and I'd have to unload it immediately and have nothing to show for it. Also, I have another move in October, so I'd have $700 down the drain.

I didn't know the brakes would be THAT pricey, so thanks for the heads up. Looks like the 7x14 DA is the way to go. Would a SA trailer with a 5k axle be a better option?

Not sure what you are asking?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
A DA trailer hauls a lot better than a SA trailer IMO. I have hauled a 20' DA car hauler loaded, a uhaul 6x12 DA several times and my 5x8 SA trailer loaded to the gills many times(I don"t use the truck bed for hauling anymore). I had no problems with the DA trailers.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of
Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ agreed DA trailers are more stable in crosswinds and are easier to back into spots as well. It takes more space to back them up but they don't turn as quick as a SA trailer will. For that kind of move, I personally would spend the money and buy a DA over a SA.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Quote:

I didn't know the brakes would be THAT pricey, so thanks for the heads up.
My bad... That $500 price quote for adding brakes is incorrect. The brake parts themselves are ~$300 delivered
(Dexter self-adjusting w/ integrated hubs, new bearings, wiring, breakaway switch, etc.), plus there are several
good videos online showing step-by-step how to do it. Looks quite easy, just time consuming.

$500 is my project budget and includes these rims to match my truck. Both my truck and trailer are white.
http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/764/Series-01

If you're thrifty (errrr... cheap) like me, the SA will fit my needs nicely...
and when buying rims, tires, parts, etc., it's half the price and half the maintenance of a DA.

After the move, the trailer will be used for storage and camping. I'm having fun planning out the interior design as well.
This forum has some great ideas... Check it out: http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f...d426f90f7b94d4

Good luck on your decision!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
I just made a 3000 mile round trip pulling a 24' HiLo TT 4200# empty plus two people plus a 300# WR250R in the bed.with BluTaco, no problems other than the last snow storm witch stopped us in Wichita for 4 hours. Of course the mileage wasn't that great, 12.3 down hill from here to Corpus Christi, TX, 10.9 on the uphill return. Several times on hill with a head wind it was running in 3rd @ 4K rpms but was able to maintain 60-65 mph speed. Trailer brakes, a anti sway load distributing hitch and Firestone Ride Rites are a necessity for this load.
Congrats on your trip, planning a long haul for 2014. Staying in california this year but with many trips planned. 06 taco w/ custom towing mirrors and an 06 22' HiLo towlite
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Army:
Well, I think it's decided then. I've found a few 7x14 DA trailers in SE GA for around $2600, so looks like I'll be picking one up shortly. Thanks for all the help, and I'll try to remember to check in when I'm done with the move to let everyone know how it went.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get it yet? Pics?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Army:
Nothing yet. In the field and still looking at which exactly to get.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
double axle is always more stable to tow vs a single axel. plus in the evnet of a flat, you have a 2nd wheel on that side to maintain control to come to a stop.

whats the weight on these trailers and the capacity?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
To add some info.... I decided to go ahead and add electric brakes to my used Haulmark 6x12 that I recently picked up off eBay.

The brake parts themselves were ~$300 delivered from eTrailer.com (Dexter self-adjusting w/ integrated hubs, new bearings, seals, grease, wiring, recharging breakaway switch, etc.).
I'm pretty much a total noob on this (zero brake experience) but after watching etrailer's step-by-step how-to videos, it looked easy.... And it was. The project took me about 6 hrs being 'super anal'...
but I could do it again in 3 hrs. If you have Dexter axles w/ the backing plate (middle pic) already on the trailer like I did, bolting on the brakes and wiring it up is a piece of cake.
Also, I now know how to service my bearings and hubs and have a spare set on-board in case of an emergency.

Good luck on your decision.