1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weight Distribution Hitch

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Doris Day, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Feb 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    Doris Day

Doris Day [OP] Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Manual
    Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I am wanting to purchase a weight distribution hitch and they seem to weigh about 80 lbs. Question is how easy is it to unhook this hitch when I go to camp. Since it weighs so much not sure if I could lift it and just how that works, have looked elsewhere on line and not finding an answer to this any help would be appreciated.

2. Feb 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    03stepsidetaco

03stepsidetaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    centralcoast CA
    Vehicle:
    03 stepside taco
    what's the hitch weight? total weight? leanth?
    wd hitchs arnit to hard to unhook. most use bars that
    plug into the ball mount under the ball. don't have a pic, sorry.
    not the best an explanning things, and chains that mount on the trailer behind the ball cup. so it's not all one peice.
    but need to be sure you need it.

3. Feb 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    Doris Day

Doris Day [OP] Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Manual
    Thank you for replying my information is as follows:

Trailer
    Tongue Weight 392
    Trailer Weight without gear 2,865
    Length is 20 Feet

Truck is a 4.0L with brake controller and is as follows:
    Tongue 650
    Load Capacity 5000

Not sure if I would need a distribution hitch or not traveling about 3200 miles. Thank you.

4. Feb 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    03stepsidetaco

03stepsidetaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    centralcoast CA
    Vehicle:
    03 stepside taco
    dubble cab? 4X4? TRD? I just got a 19.5 foot TT 3K dry weight and aboout the same tongue weight. my truck is an 03 taco, exta-cab 4X4 TRD. I'm not useing a WD hitch.
    did put on some air bags. awww dual axles on the trailer?

5. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    Doris Day

Doris Day [OP] Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Manual
    It is a double cab, I was thinking the weight distribution hitch would just help me a bit but am concerned about my ability to unhooked it at each camping spot. They look a little complex and might require some muscles which I don't have a lot of. Oh yeah it is 4x4. It is a single axle hard sided pop up camper. I did pull it 200 miles home and it did great but that is without my gear in it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    03stepsidetaco

03stepsidetaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    centralcoast CA
    Vehicle:
    03 stepside taco
    so we're talking "tent tralier"? if so your fine. I have a 01 coleman santa fe
    I towed for years with my 83 4X4 toy. costom cab. kids dogs and all.
    just had a ball and nothing elas. well chains too.

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 4:41 AM
    Doris Day

Doris Day [OP] Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Manual
    It is not really a tent trailer, low profile not quite as low as a tent trailer it is a Trailmanor that folds down it is hard sided. I just want to make sure I am safe but am concerned with my ability to operate those weight distribution hitches if I have to take them off everytime I camp.

8. Feb 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    lickem66

lickem66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 V6 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6MT
    Ride-Rites, OE tubes, Tri-Fold tonneau, extra bed D-rings, OE bedmat, center console organizer, rearview mirror bracket re-locate.
    My WD hitch (that hooks into the receiver on truck) weighs about 25 to 30ish pounds. the 2 bars that run to the trailer tongue box weigh about 6 pounds apiece. the WD chains that hook to the two bars stay mounted on the trailer tongue box.
    This is just an estimate on my part after lifting them quite a few times. The bars are no biggy but the WD hitch itself is a bit heavy. YOu could just buy a lockable receiver pin and then just leave the WD hitch installed on the truck at camp.

9. Feb 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    03stepsidetaco

03stepsidetaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    centralcoast CA
    Vehicle:
    03 stepside taco
    I'd think you'll be fine with out one. hook up the trailer and take it to some flat level ground. the truck and trailer should be level. or just a little dip at the ball. like an inch. if it drops two or more you mite want to check into air bags instead.

10. Mar 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I tow a 16' hard-sided camper. GVWR of the trailer is 2800 lb.

I use the Equal-I-Zer WD hitch with 600 lb-rated bars. The hitch head weighs in at about 60 lb, bars are roughly 10 lb each.

While the hitch is heavy, it makes for a nicer ride along the highway. I towed the same trailer with a regular hitch and the WD hitch provides way more comfort and the piece of mind that I've done what I can to load the truck up properly while towing. With the regular hitch, I could really feel the back of the truck and tongue of the trailer bobbing up and down - the truck/trailer combo moves as more of a unit with the WD hitch.

I have backed into some fairly rough campsites in which the truck ends up being jackknifed and pointing up in the air. I was able to use the tongue jack to take enough weight off the bars one at a time, allowing me to slide the bars to the side and disconnect them. When leaving, you can just hook up and drive to a flat area to re-install the bars - come to think of it, you could just remove them before trying to back in.

If you camp with a partner/friend, could they help you with lifting the hitch? I've found EVERYONE so far at the campgrounds to be more than friendly, so I don't think you'll struggle to find help when you get there.

11. Mar 3, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    Doris Day

Doris Day [OP] Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Manual
    Thank you all for the help, I guess I will load her up and see how it looks on the back end prior to my trip. I really wanted to avoid the hitch as I am alone and it seems like it could be a problem for me with the weight of it. Might look into those airbags if they will give me the same result without the issue of trying to man handle a weight distribution hitch.

12. Apr 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    erm626

erm626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Access Tonneau Cover, EGR window Visors,Trail FX Step Bars
    With all said with the WDH. Is it necessary to also use a friction anti-sway bar? Looking for more info on this subject. I'm pulling a Skyline super lite a little over 3800 #s. The Reese WDH seems to be doing the job. But i keep hearing you need a anti-sway bar also. Any thoughts on this ?? 2010 Taco with tow package. Thanks !!

13. Apr 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    You may want to call the etrailer folks and ask them:

http://www.etrailer.com/contact.aspx

They are a great company, and very willing to answer questions.

- Spindifferent

14. Apr 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    ManMan

ManMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    WD hitches are great! Yes, a but heavy but no more difficult to put on your truck than a standard hitch.

Airbags do not accomplish the same thing, they simple keep your tail from squatting. WDH transfer weight to the front axle and prevent front end rise. As a by-product squat is somewhat reduced. I'm going to invest in airbags in the future.

A sway control is not *needed* but is very nice. I would buy a dual cam vs a friction though.

Your setup may be light enough to get away without either. But having towed both ways, I will not do a camper without a WDH.

15. Apr 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    I Would keep weight in mind when loading up. Put some of the heavier stuff behind the trailer axle. We had a WDH when growing up, but it was on our car. With the size & weight of the hitch we would drag it sometimes when we didn't have the trailer on, but not when we did have it on. Could interfere with 4 wheeling (unless it was removable). Not hard to hook up.

16. May 1, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    Doris Day

Doris Day [OP] Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Manual
    Ok, so I looked at my truck when the trailer was on and it was obvious I should get a weight distribution hitch, so I purchased one and a nice man put it on for me and explained everything as he did it. With jacking the trailer up high in the front it makes it easier to put on the chains and the cheater bar is a great help. Still having a little trouble with the bars as in getting them off the area you need to push to let them drop is a little tricky but all and all I can do it and very happy with my decision, thanks for all the help a little knowledge from those who know is a wonderful thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top