Factory Transmission / Oil Cooler

Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
yukongeoff is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Geoff
yukongeoff's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Transmission / Oil Cooler

Hello,

How do I tell if I have a factory transmission cooler and/or oil cooler installed? I tried to look but it didn't jump out at me.

I have a 2010 V6 SR5 double cab, I have a factory 5000 lbs receiver hitch and 4 pin wiring....

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
GAgeorge is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Criminal Investigator
Name: Jason
GAgeorge's Tacoma Gallery
Would like to know myself
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongeoff View Post
Hello,

How do I tell if I have a factory transmission cooler and/or oil cooler installed? I tried to look but it didn't jump out at me.

I have a 2010 V6 SR5 double cab, I have a factory 5000 lbs receiver hitch and 4 pin wiring....

Thanks,

Geoff
Just picked up a 2013 last week with tow. I've towed for years, so I thought I knew what to look for. If you have automatic, the transmission cooler or transmission oil cooler looks like a small radiator in front or behind your actual radiator. Manual trans don't have a transmission cooler (I have a manual).

The oil cooler puzzled me. Typically, another small radiator in front or behind radiator, but factory oil cooler on the 4.0 L is a small device right under the oil filter. Can someone confirm this?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg918514 View Post
Just picked up a 2013 last week with tow. I've towed for years, so I thought I knew what to look for. If you have automatic, the transmission cooler or transmission oil cooler looks like a small radiator in front or behind your actual radiator. Manual trans don't have a transmission cooler (I have a manual).

The oil cooler puzzled me. Typically, another small radiator in front or behind radiator, but factory oil cooler on the 4.0 L is a small device right under the oil filter. Can someone confirm this?
from there the oil goes into the radiator.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
yukongeoff is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Geoff
yukongeoff's Tacoma Gallery
I still haven't figured it out for sure, I have a dealer appt booked next month and am going to get them to check. They told me on the phone that on certain models the trans cooler is inside the radiator so it wouldn't be immediately obvious. I will let you know when I find out for sure.......
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
The towing package cooler is right behind the top portion of the bumper and the driver's side. It's about the size of an envelope.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
salvesg is on a distinguished road
salvesg's Tacoma Gallery
jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
The towing package cooler is right behind the top portion of the bumper and the driver's side. It's about the size of an envelope.
The V6 Towing Package with the Automatic transmission should include 2 separate types of coolers.
An engine oil cooler located at the base of the existing oil filter unit.
An auto transmission fluid cooler located as mentioned near the front radiator.
These are two separate coolers for the two different types of fluids.

hope this helps