Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Factory Transmission / Oil Cooler

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
yukongeoff [OP] yukongeoff is offline
Junior Member
yukongeoff is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Geoff
Joined: Feb 2013, #98139
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
yukongeoff's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Transmission / Oil Cooler

Hello,

How do I tell if I have a factory transmission cooler and/or oil cooler installed? I tried to look but it didn't jump out at me.

I have a 2010 V6 SR5 double cab, I have a factory 5000 lbs receiver hitch and 4 pin wiring....

Thanks,

Geoff
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Junior Member
GAgeorge is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Criminal Investigator
Name: Jason
Joined: Jul 2012, #82043
Location: Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
GAgeorge's Tacoma Gallery
Would like to know myself
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Member
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2013, #99203
Gender: Male
Posts: 95
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongeoff View Post
Hello,

How do I tell if I have a factory transmission cooler and/or oil cooler installed? I tried to look but it didn't jump out at me.

I have a 2010 V6 SR5 double cab, I have a factory 5000 lbs receiver hitch and 4 pin wiring....

Thanks,

Geoff
Just picked up a 2013 last week with tow. I've towed for years, so I thought I knew what to look for. If you have automatic, the transmission cooler or transmission oil cooler looks like a small radiator in front or behind your actual radiator. Manual trans don't have a transmission cooler (I have a manual).

The oil cooler puzzled me. Typically, another small radiator in front or behind radiator, but factory oil cooler on the 4.0 L is a small device right under the oil filter. Can someone confirm this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
S.B.'s Avatar
Name: Sean
Joined: Jun 2009, #18838
Location: SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,548
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg918514 View Post
Just picked up a 2013 last week with tow. I've towed for years, so I thought I knew what to look for. If you have automatic, the transmission cooler or transmission oil cooler looks like a small radiator in front or behind your actual radiator. Manual trans don't have a transmission cooler (I have a manual).

The oil cooler puzzled me. Typically, another small radiator in front or behind radiator, but factory oil cooler on the 4.0 L is a small device right under the oil filter. Can someone confirm this?
from there the oil goes into the radiator.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
yukongeoff [OP] yukongeoff is offline
Junior Member
yukongeoff is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Geoff
Joined: Feb 2013, #98139
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
yukongeoff's Tacoma Gallery
I still haven't figured it out for sure, I have a dealer appt booked next month and am going to get them to check. They told me on the phone that on certain models the trans cooler is inside the radiator so it wouldn't be immediately obvious. I will let you know when I find out for sure.......
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
S.B.'s Avatar
Name: Sean
Joined: Jun 2009, #18838
Location: SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,548
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
The towing package cooler is right behind the top portion of the bumper and the driver's side. It's about the size of an envelope.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Junior Member
salvesg is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2014, #130877
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
salvesg's Tacoma Gallery
jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
The towing package cooler is right behind the top portion of the bumper and the driver's side. It's about the size of an envelope.
The V6 Towing Package with the Automatic transmission should include 2 separate types of coolers.
An engine oil cooler located at the base of the existing oil filter unit.
An auto transmission fluid cooler located as mentioned near the front radiator.
These are two separate coolers for the two different types of fluids.

hope this helps
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Combination Oil/Transmission Cooler damnfingers 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 02-26-2013 03:10 PM
Transmission Oil Cooler install? thrustblock 1st Gen. Tacomas 3 10-25-2011 08:20 AM
Factory oil cooler no external finned cooler?? lj973gm 2nd Gen. Tacomas 7 09-27-2011 05:01 PM
Transmission/Oil Pan Cooler Mark C. Buy / Sell / Trade 0 09-30-2010 06:13 AM
engine oil cooler and transmission cooler linkfeeney Technical Chat 9 06-16-2008 08:08 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.