Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

2.4L 4-banger: Can I tow a Uhaul 6x12 trailer

Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
2.4L 4-banger: Can I tow a Uhaul 6x12 trailer

I'm moving this weekend. I've towed the 5x8 trailers from Uhaul before with no problem, wondering if my little truck could handle the 6x12. I've searched around and read the Towing Bible but can't find anything specific to the 2.4 liter engine. I'm mostly concerned about towing and stopping power - I'm well informed on how to correctly distribute the weight and such.

My truck stats:
142 hp @ 5,000 rpm
160 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
Max. Tongue weight 350 lbs.

Trailer:
Equipped with surge brakes
Empty weight: 1,920 lbs.
Loaded weight: ???

The move is about 40 miles on flat highway, I will have to drive back with the trailer empty (which I understand is more risky for sway/fishtailing?), and it'll probably be two trips.

The Uhaul website said I can safely tow over 2,000 lbs of stuff with this trailer and my truck, but my math says it's more like 1500 lbs right? I don't want to create a dangerous situation for anyone on the road so I want to be sure.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Bump

Nobody has any experience with this?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a trailer hitch or just the bumper mount only?

Towing it shouldn't be a problem for you, it's the hook up that would concern me.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

No hitch, it is the bumper ball. I have towed all of Uhaul's smaller trailers with no problem unless there's something different about the 6 by 12?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
I worked at a uhaul back in high school and had to move the 6x12s around on a daily basis. I can tell you those things are HEAVY. I would stay away from the big enclosed dual axle. Maybe use an open trailer and make an extra trip or use the smaller single axle enclosed trailer.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
The move is about 40 miles on flat highway, I will have to drive back with the trailer empty (which I understand is more risky for sway/fishtailing?), and it'll probably be two trips.

The Uhaul website said I can safely tow over 2,000 lbs of stuff with this trailer and my truck, but my math says it's more like 1500 lbs right? I don't want to create a dangerous situation for anyone on the road so I want to be sure.
Correct, 1500 lb cargo on the trailer is the max you can tow. However, to prevent trailer sway, there are other constraints that will make it tricky for you to fully use the 1500 lb capacity:

1. The truck's weight should exceed the trailer's, so make sure you load enough cargo in the truck bed so the truck's gross weight exceeds 3500 lb.

2. The trailer needs to be loaded with more weight in front of the trailer axles than after. It will be tricky to do that and stay below 350 lb tongue weight. You will need to measure tongue weight carefully (use the bathroom scale + beam method): http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-d...ue-weight.aspx
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #7

^That is a super helpful post for future towing. Thanks!

The 6x12 was fine. We loaded it up as you can see and I had no issues. I distributed it well and drove 55 mph like uhaul suggests. The surge brakes on the trailer help too.
Attached Thumbnails
2.4L 4-banger: Can I tow a Uhaul 6x12 trailer-uploadfromtaptalk1363151246354.jpg   2.4L 4-banger: Can I tow a Uhaul 6x12 trailer-uploadfromtaptalk1363151274048.jpg   2.4L 4-banger: Can I tow a Uhaul 6x12 trailer-uploadfromtaptalk1363151298519.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
That is nothing man. Keep the power to the floor on inclines.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't use the bumper at that weight though. If it works then fine.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The bumper hitch is rated for 3500 lb. Unlike the Big 3, Toyota's tow ratings are pretty close to SAE J-2807, which accounts for practical acceleration and braking ability.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^That is a super helpful post for future towing. Thanks!

The 6x12 was fine. We loaded it up as you can see and I had no issues. I distributed it well and drove 55 mph like uhaul suggests. The surge brakes on the trailer help too.

Doesn't look like you got 1500 lb worth of cargo in there.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
Duhrel is on a distinguished road
Duhrel's Tacoma Gallery
That was all on bumper? Wow, I didn't think that would be safe. My cousin asked me to help him move from Fresno to Davis but I have never towed before. I have a '13 2wd 4cyl automatic. I've read much of the tow bible but find it daunting on what I need to do to get the truck ready. He was also thinking of the same 6x12 you rented. What mods did you do to your truck to get it tow ready? I see you got a ballhead and also the wiring. Is there anything else you got that allowed you to safely tow it all?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Those things are heavy as crap. I wanna say close to 2500lbs empty. Even with my V6 DCLB, you know it's back there...

They don't maintain them the best either and the person before you prob took it offloading and curb hopping. You CAN do it with a 4cyl, kaput don't expect to win any races...

Good news is that they are WAY over built (prob why they weigh soo much) so you will basically never have to worry about overloading it. This pic was taken of my old 2011 with about 6000lbs in the trailer. It was HEAVY, and I wasn't going anywhere fast, but luckily I only had to move it about 2miles (never broke 35mph).

Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
RyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1Lt, C-130 Navigator
Name: Ryan
RyanLikesTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Those things are heavy as crap. I wanna say close to 2500lbs empty. Even with my V6 DCLB, you know it's back there...

They don't maintain them the best either and the person before you prob took it offloading and curb hopping. You CAN do it with a 4cyl, kaput don't expect to win any races...

Good news is that they are WAY over built (prob why they weigh soo much) so you will basically never have to worry about overloading it. This pic was taken of my old 2011 with about 6000lbs in the trailer. It was HEAVY, and I wasn't going anywhere fast, but luckily I only had to move it about 2miles (never broke 35mph).

6,000 pounds in that trailer? What were you hauling? Pallets of bricks?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #15

Quote:

I call bullshit on the "trailer being 2500lbs" claim. These trailers are lightweight construction considering the fact that they are sheet metal. The Uhaul workers pick them up and push them around the lot by hand all day. They may be big and awkward but they are by no means heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhrel
That was all on bumper? Wow, I didn't think that would be safe. My cousin asked me to help him move from Fresno to Davis but I have never towed before. I have a '13 2wd 4cyl automatic. I've read much of the tow bible but find it daunting on what I need to do to get the truck ready. He was also thinking of the same 6x12 you rented. What mods did you do to your truck to get it tow ready? I see you got a ballhead and also the wiring. Is there anything else you got that allowed you to safely tow it all?
Nothing. I did nothing but add a ball to the bumper and splice the lighting into the tail lights.

After this move, I would CONFIDENTLY tow a 6x12 any day of the week with my 4-cylinder. The acceleration isn't great, but as long as you are AWARE of the weight and SAFE with your driving habits you will have no problem. Granted, my truck does not have the power to be dragging this trailer through sand or anything, but on a highway (even a hilly one) I am very very confident in our little trucks. Just know that you will be going slow, and don't rush it.

This is the real reason they tell you not to tow heavy loads with a small truck:

http://youtu.be/rCfFbQpmqWk

There are a few things going wrong here, but most important is that the weight of the trailer was equal or more than the vehicle towing it. Consequently when it got loose, there was no stopping it. If a larger truck had been towing this trailer, it probably would have had enough influence to keep the trailer steady enough to slow down and recover the sway.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
Duhrel is on a distinguished road
Duhrel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The U-Haul website lists "Empty weight: 1,920 lbs"
Quote:
Nothing. I did nothing but add a ball to the bumper and splice the lighting into the tail lights.

After this move, I would CONFIDENTLY tow a 6x12 any day of the week with my 4-cylinder. The acceleration isn't great, but as long as you are AWARE of the weight and SAFE with your driving habits you will have no problem. Granted, my truck does not have the power to be dragging this trailer through sand or anything, but on a highway (even a hilly one) I am very very confident in our little trucks. Just know that you will be going slow, and don't rush it.
Thanks for all your advice and input. I was reading the 2013 Tacoma manual and it states that "If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb., a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required." Looks like there'd be more to it than just getting a ball head and splicing the wires if I want to do it by the book. The manual goes as far as to specified an "Unbraked TWR" of 1000 lb.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #17

Yea I expected that. They have to put in extra safety factors of course. Also one thing I thought of today, I was not in any windy conditions. I would not tow that 6x12 through the high desert or anywhere it gets windy. I have seen travel trailers towed by full size trucks getting pretty hairy when a strong blast comes across.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
sciencerabbit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
sciencerabbit's Tacoma Gallery
How long is the ball you use? I tried putting a ball off a receiver through my bumper and it was to short. Can anyone point me to a ball that will fit through my tacos bumper?

.. that's what she said btw
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #19

I can measure it after work. It's probably about 3" based on what is available from Uhaul: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...-Balls?mid=424
- sowechko@gmail.com
Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #20
Drifting Saint is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Loadmaster, Dropmaster, Aviation Mechanic
Name: Nick
Drifting Saint's Tacoma Gallery
Thank You

Great thread, I've been looking on the webs for people that have towed a 6x12 and what the trailer could fit in it etc...you hit two birds with one stone.